MVC non conference '16-'17 schedules being released

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC non conference '16-'17 schedules being released

Postby BEARZ77 » July 2nd, 2016, 2:50 pm

[quote="PantherSigEp"]Didn't you just say you understand the rationale behind having a crappy schedule? It's not a complete endorsement but you don't seem too upset about lowering the bar to raise the win totals.[/quote

Understanding the rationale of a coach who is on the hotseat and about to lose his job is far from an endorsement. I think the rest of my post made it pretty clear I have great fear that the schedule will result in the kind of middle of the road success that perpetuates the continued mess that's been the Lusk era. I think it's funny how when a program struggles the fan base gets lumped in with the Administration and coaches as some how responsible for things like the schedule, bad losses ,pitiful RPI's etc. Does anyone really believe that every fan base in this conference doesn't want to see their team schedule aggressively, avoid RPI trap games, have great noncon records going into the MVC season.

I've been a Lusk detractor since half way thru his first season , mostly because of his non aggressive style of play. I try to give him credit when he does good things and balance the fact I just don't see him as the type of coach I want for the Bears. I give him great credit right now for actually assembling a quality roster, and I empathize with his situation because despite my dislike of his coaching, I think he's a good guy. So when I say I understand his approach to this season, I'm assuming in his mind a certain amount of wins and a certain level in the MVC are his goals because if he doesn't have those, any long term thoughts are probably not going to matter.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvcfan » July 2nd, 2016, 4:27 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:Didn't you just say you understand the rationale behind having a crappy schedule? It's not a complete endorsement but you don't seem too upset about lowering the bar to raise the win totals.[/quote

Understanding the rationale of a coach who is on the hotseat and about to lose his job is far from an endorsement. I think the rest of my post made it pretty clear I have great fear that the schedule will result in the kind of middle of the road success that perpetuates the continued mess that's been the Lusk era. I think it's funny how when a program struggles the fan base gets lumped in with the Administration and coaches as some how responsible for things like the schedule, bad losses ,pitiful RPI's etc. Does anyone really believe that every fan base in this conference doesn't want to see their team schedule aggressively, avoid RPI trap games, have great noncon records going into the MVC season.

I've been a Lusk detractor since half way thru his first season , mostly because of his non aggressive style of play. I try to give him credit when he does good things and balance the fact I just don't see him as the type of coach I want for the Bears. I give him great credit right now for actually assembling a quality roster, and I empathize with his situation because despite my dislike of his coaching, I think he's a good guy. So when I say I understand his approach to this season, I'm assuming in his mind a certain amount of wins and a certain level in the MVC are his goals because if he doesn't have those, any long term thoughts are probably not going to matter.

I misunderstood how upset you were.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » July 2nd, 2016, 8:31 pm

Unfortunately a large segment of the fan base has moved beyond upset to apathy as evidenced by our declining attendance and despite some promising talent, the lack of discussion even on our board. It is what it is.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » July 4th, 2016, 10:05 am

sixth ace wrote:UE @ home
Murray State (171) Dec. 10
Boise State (101) Dec 3
Bowling Green(206)Dec 6
Norfolk State (218) late Dec
Wabash College DIII

Away
Louisville (16) Nov19 opening game
Austin Peay(189)Dec 17

MTE Challenge in Music City Thanksgiving weekend
Not announced. Poster on PAF board says that UNCW (52) MTSU(77) Toledo (184) are in .

2 more games left to schedule

Blogging the Bracket reports MTSU @ Evansville. Then Toledo and UNCW in Nashville. Not exactly sure how this one will be played.

Last year there were 4 additional non-D1 schools as well that played a campus game, then 3 round robin games in Nashville. Since it's only the second year, they may have changed the format.

I like the schedule this far. Extremely frustrated they didn't have it last year.

Rhetorical question though: name another team with 7 seniors that has its fans tempering expectations for a rebuilding year?
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » July 5th, 2016, 7:44 am

Jesus Christ, MSU. Why even play anything this year?

You still won't get to 20 wins. Pretend you run the OOC, which you won't.

You still need 9 MVC wins to get to the 20 win threshold....not counting your D3 game. Where are those 9 coming from? Let's pretend you manage to grab 2 wins from the games against WSU, UNI, and ILSU. That's 2-4 (13-4). You still need to go 7-5 against the rest of the league to get to 20-9 (9-9) going into MVC play. That OOC isn't going to test your for s*** come MVC play.

I'm being generous in assuming you get 2 games from UNI/WSU/ILSU. I'm being REAL generous assuming you beat Valpo, NDSU, ORU, Southern Cal and Wyoming.

Realistically to get to 20 wins I see MSU needing to go a minimum of 12-6 or 13-5 in conference play to get to 20 wins....

It's the old Evansville Theory though - play a bunch of s*** teams OOC to build up a win total to brag about.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 6th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Everybody knows it's a crap schedule, and no one has great confidence in Lusk to win despite that. But don't sell the talent short; also just for the sake of perspective, we won two games vs UNI and Illinois St last year when we were a lot weaker, so we'll have to see. We're in that terrible purgatory of having a coach no one is confident in, but who despite that, seems to have recruited a good roster and is playing a watered down schedule. No one wants to see that parlayed into the belief that a 20 win season w/o any real significance is progress and buys Lusk an extension.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » July 6th, 2016, 1:29 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Everybody knows it's a crap schedule, and no one has great confidence in Lusk to win despite that. But don't sell the talent short; also just for the sake of perspective, we won two games vs UNI and Illinois St last year when we were a lot weaker, so we'll have to see. We're in that terrible purgatory of having a coach no one is confident in, but who despite that, seems to have recruited a good roster and is playing a watered down schedule. No one wants to see that parlayed into the belief that a 20 win season w/o any real significance is progress and buys Lusk an extension.

Agreed. I am pretty bullish on Missouri State this season. A lot of talent there.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » July 6th, 2016, 1:37 pm

uniftw wrote:Jesus Christ, MSU. Why even play anything this year?

You still need 9 MVC wins to get to the 20 win threshold....not counting your D3 game. Where are those 9 coming from? Let's pretend you manage to grab 2 wins from the games against WSU, UNI, and ILSU. That's 2-4 (13-4). You still need to go 7-5 against the rest of the league to get to 20-9 (9-9) going into MVC play. That OOC isn't going to test your for s*** come MVC play.

I'm being generous in assuming you get 2 games from UNI/WSU/ILSU. I'm being REAL generous assuming you beat Valpo, NDSU, ORU, Southern Cal and Wyoming.

Realistically to get to 20 wins I see MSU needing to go a minimum of 12-6 or 13-5 in conference play to get to 20 wins....

It's the old Evansville Theory though - play a bunch of s*** teams OOC to build up a win total to brag about.

Why the bullshit Evansville jabs all the time. Most fans aren't happy where are program has been. Yes you have had success that the last 15 years but before that your program was a joke. I love the theory that bad teams have to lay down for you if your good. That's the biggest load of s*** I have ever heard. There will be a time where your in the cellar again and we'll see how much s*** you post then.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » July 6th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Ace75 wrote:

Why the bullshit Evansville jabs all the time. Most fans aren't happy where are program has been. Yes you have had success that the last 15 years but before that your program was a joke. I love the theory that bad teams have to lay down for you if your good. That's the biggest load of s*** I have ever heard. There will be a time where your in the cellar again and we'll see how much s*** you post then.

Sure.

UNI has the longest streak of avoiding the PIG - it's been since 2002/2003 since UNI was a PIG team. Eventually UNI will be a PIG team again. It's how things work. However, it's been 13 years since UNI was truly a bad program. It's been been 13 years of UNI consistently playing a strong OOC, performing, performing in conference play, and getting into the post season. There will be high school freshman this year in Cedar Falls that won't know UNI basketball being in the bottom 4. Sure. Someday UNI might be a PIG team a team. Someday Jake will leave. Maybe when he does everything that he built on top of the foundation that McDermott laid will crumble. Maybe

UNI made strides to not be a crap team anymore. UNI and Evansville came in at the same time and were both pretty shoddy. Evansville made the tournament in 99 and hasn't been back since. Since UNI's last PIG game UE has been there 6 times. There's not much reason to believe UE is going to challenge for a tournament bit any time soon. On top of all of that UE is notorious for playing horse crap OOC schedules to boost win totals. That's not a slam, that's a damn fact. If you had to put $100 down on who makes more NCAA tournaments the next decade, UNI or UE, who are you betting on? Same for PIG games. Hell, WSU was a PIG team in 07/08. Rather than schedule weak they invested in the program and look what's happened.

That same thing is what MSU is doing this year. Lusk needs wins to try to keep fans on his side. Best way to do it? Do what Marty does and schedule as many sub 200s as possible and hope he's able to sell the idea of "look how many wins we had" to his fans and they ignore the SOS behind it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » July 6th, 2016, 3:50 pm

uniftw wrote:
Ace75 wrote:

Sure.

UNI has the longest streak of avoiding the PIG - it's been since 2002/2003 since UNI was a PIG team. Eventually UNI will be a PIG team again. It's how things work. However, it's been 13 years since UNI was truly a bad program. It's been been 13 years of UNI consistently playing a strong OOC, performing, performing in conference play, and getting into the post season. There will be high school freshman this year in Cedar Falls that won't know UNI basketball being in the bottom 4. Sure. Someday UNI might be a PIG team a team. Someday Jake will leave. Maybe when he does everything that he built on top of the foundation that McDermott laid will crumble. Maybe

UNI made strides to not be a crap team anymore. UNI and Evansville came in at the same time and were both pretty shoddy. Evansville made the tournament in 99 and hasn't been back since. Since UNI's last PIG game UE has been there 6 times. There's not much reason to believe UE is going to challenge for a tournament bit any time soon. On top of all of that UE is notorious for playing horse crap OOC schedules to boost win totals. That's not a slam, that's a damn fact. If you had to put $100 down on who makes more NCAA tournaments the next decade, UNI or UE, who are you betting on? Same for PIG games. Hell, WSU was a PIG team in 07/08. Rather than schedule weak they invested in the program and look what's happened.

That same thing is what MSU is doing this year. Lusk needs wins to try to keep fans on his side. Best way to do it? Do what Marty does and schedule as many sub 200s as possible and hope he's able to sell the idea of "look how many wins we had" to his fans and they ignore the SOS behind it.

I have no faith like many others in Marty. We were shoddy when we came into the league? You need to do some better fact checking on that one. I'm not happy about where our program has been or the fact that he doesn't schedule better. Just get tired of seeing the slams all the time like your team has been on top of the world forever. Your team will be there again and we'll see how much you post.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball