Shockers in Canada

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers in Canada

Postby Cdizzle » August 10th, 2016, 9:44 am

You guys need to watch more sporting events.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » August 10th, 2016, 9:45 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
He was standing up for his players.

See...you buy the story he was "standing up for his players".

Most other grown ups see this as a guy acting like a petulant child, losing his mind, and throwing a temper tantrum. Again...I'm not making it out to more than that. I'm not saying Gregg Marshall is a horrible human.

In this situation....the one we are discussing....he acted like a fool. He went way overboard. To sell it as anything other than that is a REAL stretch.

I guess I don't see why its hard for some Wichita fans to just say "yeah, it was ridiculous. Gregg lost it. It was embarrassing and uncalled for. He looked like a fool." And then just move on?

I'll agree with half that. He could have done without the shoving of his coaches. The refs 100% deserved it though, so it wasn't "uncalled for". The point is people are jumping on Gregg for doing what the thought was right for his players, without calling out the fact that the refs were encouraging a dangerous game. That is exactly what Gregg was mad about. I watched the game start to finish and I agree 100% with him. They were allowing McGill to play rugby basically and rewarding them for it nearly every time. I'm glad he stood up for his players. His players are glad that he stood up for them. You are allowed to think he's lieing when he said he's standing up for his players. I would expect that from a lot (not all) of opposing teams fans at this point. I'm allowed to believe that he is telling the truth because well the facts of the game agree with his reasoning. You didn't watch the game, so if you want to base your opinion on 1 out of 100 data points .. go for it .. that just looks bad on you.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 9:48 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
He was standing up for his players.

See...you buy the story he was "standing up for his players".

Most other grown ups see this as a guy acting like a petulant child, losing his mind, and throwing a temper tantrum. Again...I'm not making it out to more than that. I'm not saying Gregg Marshall is a horrible human.

In this situation....the one we are discussing....he acted like a fool. He went way overboard. To sell it as anything other than that is a REAL stretch.

I guess I don't see why its hard for some Wichita fans to just say "yeah, it was ridiculous. Gregg lost it. It was embarrassing and uncalled for. He looked like a fool." And then just move on?

I'll agree with half that. He could have done without the shoving of his coaches. The refs 100% deserved it though, so it wasn't "uncalled for". The point is people are jumping on Gregg for doing what the thought was right for his players, without calling out the fact that the refs were encouraging a dangerous game. That is exactly what Gregg was mad about. I watched the game start to finish and I agree 100% with him. They were allowing McGill to play rugby basically and rewarding them for it nearly every time. I'm glad he stood up for his players. His players are glad that he stood up for them. You are allowed to think he's lieing when he said he's standing up for his players. I would expect that from a lot (not all) of opposing teams fans at this point. I'm allowed to believe that he is telling the truth because well the facts of the game agree with his reasoning. You didn't watch the game, so if you want to base your opinion on 1 out of 100 data points .. go for it .. that just looks bad on you.

See...I don't think he was doing this "for his players". Maybe it started that way...but he wen't WAY beyond what a reasonable and rational person would have done.

If he wanted to do something "for his players" there are 100 different ways he could have handled it better.

You can't take the fan glasses off on this one. This isn't about "opposing fans" being biased towards him. It's not. It's about looking at how a grown man, a man in a leadership position, acts in a certain situation.

I am never "proud" of a coach/manager of my favorite team when they act like a fool. Even if its under the guise of "protecting his players". It's ridiculous behavior.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » August 10th, 2016, 9:52 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:

See...I don't think he was doing this "for his players". Maybe it started that way...but he wen't WAY beyond what a reasonable and rational person would have done.

If he wanted to do something "for his players' there are 100 different ways he could have handled it better.

You can't take the fan glasses off on this one. This isn't about "opposing fans" being biased towards him. It's not. It's about looking at how a grown man, a man in a leadership position, acts in a certain situation.

I am never "proud" of a coach/manager of my favorite team when they act like a fool. Even if it under the guise of "protecting his players". It's ridiculous behavior.

Then why aren't you calling out the refs for calling a dangerous game? There were a 100 different ways they could have handled that too, instead they decided to put kids at risk? Just because their mess ups didn't end up on a video spread around the internet doesn't make it any less worse. They are grown men, in leadership positions, that instead of calling a fair safe game, used their positions of "power" to reward dangerous behavior.

To be clear .. I am not proud that he was shoving his coaches/players. I am glad that he stood up for his players though. I'd much rather have this outcome, than for him to just go "oh well, I better not fuss about this" then have a player seriously hurt.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » August 10th, 2016, 9:58 am

I watched the entire game.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 10:05 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Then why aren't you calling out the refs for calling a dangerous game? There were a 100 different ways they could have handled that too, instead they decided to put kids at risk? Just because their mess ups didn't end up on a video spread around the internet doesn't make it any less worse. They are grown men, in leadership positions, that instead of calling a fair safe game, used their positions of "power" to reward dangerous behavior.

To be clear .. I am not proud that he was shoving his coaches/players. I am glad that he stood up for his players though. I'd much rather have this outcome, than for him to just go "oh well, I better not fuss about this" then have a player seriously hurt.

Bad officiating happens all the time.

I don't think the refs "called a dangerous game". I'm not even sure how one does that. They didn't "decide" to put kids at risk.

This was a very physical game. The officiating slanted in favor of the home team. If McGill were visiting Wichita the exact opposite would happen. The officials would slant in favor of the Shockers.

Gregg Marshall KNOWS that on these trips he won't get favorable officiating. This isn't something new.

Yes...the officiating could have been better. But it wasn't life or death. Gregg could have also handled it WAY better and in a lot more grown up manner.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » August 10th, 2016, 10:07 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:

Bad officiating happens all the time.

I don't think the refs "called a dangerous game". I'm not even sure how one does that. They didn't "decide" to put kids at risk.

This was a very physical game. The officiating slanted in favor of the home team. If McGill were visiting Wichita the exact opposite would happen. The officials would slant in favor of the Shockers.

Gregg Marshall KNOWS that on these trips he won't get favorable officiating. This isn't something new.

Yes...the officiating could have been better. But it wasn't life or death. Gregg could have also handled it WAY better and in a lot more grown up manner.

There is a difference between bad officiating and calling a dangerous game. What happened last night was dangerous. When players are not only allowed to slam into players, shove players, block into knees, grab and knee during screens, it becomes dangerous. That's what happened last night.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » August 10th, 2016, 10:09 am

I'm starting to think most on this board would observe a public beating and just turn the other way and ignore it.

How dare someone stand up for his guys when things had gotten so out of hand.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 10:10 am

SubGod22 wrote:I'm starting to think most on this board would observe a public beating and just turn the other way and ignore it.

Drama much?

Again...you can "stand up for your guys" without acting like a four year old.

It's not like the only options were A) do nothing and B) what Gregg Marshall did.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » August 10th, 2016, 10:13 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:I'm starting to think most on this board would observe a public beating and just turn the other way and ignore it.

Drama much?

Again...you can "stand up for your guys" without acting like a four year old.

It's not like the only options were A) do nothing and B) what Gregg Marshall did.

There are always multiple options in hindsight. There were lots of people that did not make the ideal decision last night at multiple points during the night (Marshall, the refs, the other coaches, the players). He did what he thought he needed to do in the heat of the moment to protect his players when it was obvious that the refs had no intention of making sure a safe game was called.

Guess what .. it worked, it was called quite a bit better after his tirade. It was still biased towards McGill, but they at least called the dangerous stuff.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball