Shockers in Canada

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Shockers in Canada

Postby Wufan » August 6th, 2016, 1:42 pm

WSU wins first game by 50. Starters were Frankamp at point, Shamet and Brown on the wings, Kelly at forward, Shaq in the post. McDuffie is resting due to a minor meniscus tear (supposedly he is available). JUCO PG Daishon Smith was second string as was JUCO big Darryl Willis and sophomore transfer wing Peyton Allen. Better competition expected tomorrow.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Shockers in Canada

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Shockers in Canada

Postby Aargh » August 6th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Willis (6'9" PF) was beating guards down the court. Frankamp scored 19. Missed something like 3 shots. Might want to guard him this year. Morris hit a 3 - radio guys used that as the play of the game.

Depth chart seems to be

PG - Frankamp/Smith (JuCo trfr)
SG - Shamet/Frankamp
SF - Brown/Allen (trfr from aTm)
PF - Kelly/Willis (JuCo trfr)
C - Morris/Nurger/Hamilton

By the time the season rolls around, McDuffie will be in there somewhere high. Willis could take over as the #1 PF. #1 PG will probably change based on matchups. Smith is a lot faster and quicker than Frankamp.

I don't know the numbers for the game, but UQAM had 17 turnovers and the Shox had 9 steals in the first half.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 7th, 2016, 8:21 am

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Shockers have got this year without their 2 AA's.

I would expect McDuffie to make a big leap forward and become a star. PG should be interesting. I really like Frankamp but not sure how he would do full time at that position.

Is Shamet fully healthy now?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 7th, 2016, 8:46 am

glm38 wrote:I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Shockers have got this year without their 2 AA's.

I would expect McDuffie to make a big leap forward and become a star. PG should be interesting. I really like Frankamp but not sure how he would do full time at that position.

Is Shamet fully healthy now?

Yesterday Frankamp played PG and SG. Although he only had 5 turn overs all of last year :o he had three yesterday to go with no assists. Meanwhile, uber-quick (out of control?) JUCO Daishon Smith has six assists to go with no turn overs. I'm not going to draw any conclusions from that.

Shamet should be fully healthy. His recovery took longer than expected, but surgery was 9 months ago.

McDuffie will not play today. Same goes for freshman guard CJ Keyser (stress injury in his foot) and freshMan PG Austin Reaves (shoulder surgery). All three are expected to be 100% by the time official practice starts.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » August 7th, 2016, 11:11 am

Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » August 7th, 2016, 10:00 pm

The Shox, playing without a PG, got blown up 100-75 today. 47-47 tie at the

Kaza Keane is now in his 5th uyhalf, but a massacre in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

The Shox did have 5 players on the court at all times, but there wasn't a point guard ever observed on the court.

Kaza Keane is now in his 5th year of college basketball (that's allowed in Canada) and he pretty much did anything he wanted against the Shox D at PG.

In addition to no PG, the Shox also featured no D or rebounding. Lots of coaching opportunities out of this game.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » August 8th, 2016, 9:46 am

Wufan wrote:
Yesterday Frankamp played PG and SG. Although he only had 5 turn overs all of last year :o he had three yesterday to go with no assists.

How many opportunities did Framkamp really have to commit turnovers last year though? I'm sure i didn't watch as much WSU as many other people on here, but from what i saw, it looked like he barely played the point and his role was basically to run around screens and shoot threes off chances created by FVV and Baker. Most of what I saw, FVV and Baker almost always had the ball in their hands. I'm not saying he can't do it or anything, all I'm saying is that those two last year were so good, it looked like Frankamp had a very simple role last season without the ball in his hands very often.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » August 8th, 2016, 10:22 am

While I acknowledge this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things I don't think those of us who foresee major difficulties for the Shox this year in the absence of FVV are out of bounds. All you had to do was see how bad they were when he was hurt last year and it was clear HCGM needs to find someone who can serviceably run the point or it will be a fall for the Shox from the top of the MVC.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUShox88 » August 8th, 2016, 1:31 pm

I think WSU should have skipped Canada and took a more "feel good" approach by taking a tour through the Primetime League.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby AndShock » August 8th, 2016, 2:02 pm

We still probably win the Valley with the team from Orlando last year. I think the team that got routed yesterday is better than that Orlando team.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball