Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Shockers in Canada

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rollbird5 » August 8th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Aargh wrote:The Shox, playing without a PG, got blown up 100-75 today. 47-47 tie at the

Kaza Keane is now in his 5th uyhalf, but a massacre in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

The Shox did have 5 players on the court at all times, but there wasn't a point guard ever observed on the court.

Kaza Keane is now in his 5th year of college basketball (that's allowed in Canada) and he pretty much did anything he wanted against the Shox D at PG.

In addition to no PG, the Shox also featured no D or rebounding. Lots of coaching opportunities out of this game.

Yikes if Kaza Keane is tearing up the defense it must've been a rough day, would hate to be in that locker room after the game I'm sure they got their butts chewed out by Marshall. But better now when lineup combinations are trying to be put together than in the actual season, see how certain guys respond to adversity and who steps up to be leaders in place of RB and FVV
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheShock » August 8th, 2016, 3:54 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Boatraced.

Some action from yesterdays game...

TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » August 8th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Ali wrote:While I acknowledge this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things I don't think those of us who foresee major difficulties for the Shox this year in the absence of FVV are out of bounds. All you had to do was see how bad they were when he was hurt last year and it was clear HCGM needs to find someone who can serviceably run the point or it will be a fall for the Shox from the top of the MVC.

It's fair to believe that WSU won't win the league by four games again. No shame in struggling without an AA. That said last year when we struggled early we were without Shamet, VanVleet, and Grady...5 of our top 6. Yesterday we were without McDuffie and we got crushed. If you want to run with this score (or any August exhibition) and make predictions, then I guess I will just smile and nod at your next talent evaluation...maybe I will pat you on the head and say say, "you bet slugger" if you come up with a real point.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 8th, 2016, 6:40 pm

Aargh wrote:The Shox, playing without a PG, got blown up 100-75 today. 47-47 tie at the

Kaza Keane is now in his 5th uyhalf, but a massacre in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

The Shox did have 5 players on the court at all times, but there wasn't a point guard ever observed on the court.

Kaza Keane is now in his 5th year of college basketball (that's allowed in Canada) and he pretty much did anything he wanted against the Shox D at PG.

In addition to no PG, the Shox also featured no D or rebounding. Lots of coaching opportunities out of this game.

Odd that you would specifically call out the PG position when the whole team was awful on both sides of the ball, PG not excluded.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 8th, 2016, 6:45 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
Yesterday Frankamp played PG and SG. Although he only had 5 turn overs all of last year :o he had three yesterday to go with no assists.

How many opportunities did Framkamp really have to commit turnovers last year though? I'm sure i didn't watch as much WSU as many other people on here, but from what i saw, it looked like he barely played the point and his role was basically to run around screens and shoot threes off chances created by FVV and Baker. Most of what I saw, FVV and Baker almost always had the ball in their hands. I'm not saying he can't do it or anything, all I'm saying is that those two last year were so good, it looked like Frankamp had a very simple role last season without the ball in his hands very often.

He played limited PG minutes, but he actually got most of his shots off the dribble rather than catch and shoot off screens. Regardless of touches or responsibility, he averaged 1 turnover per 100 minutes. That ranked first in the league.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » August 9th, 2016, 7:14 am

Wufan wrote:He played limited PG minutes, but he actually got most of his shots off the dribble rather than catch and shoot off screens.

Really? I mean, like i said though, you know way more about WSU than i do, but this really surprises me. I would not have thought that in that offense last year, he would have been shooting most of his shots off the dribble, as opposed to catch and shoot.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » August 9th, 2016, 8:59 am

I don't think its an insult to Wichita State fans or the team or should come as a major shock to say they MIGHT take a step back this season after losing to All American level guys.

I still think they win the league and have the most talent. But you don't lose two guys like Baker and Van Vleet and pick up where you left off.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » August 9th, 2016, 9:38 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Wufan wrote:He played limited PG minutes, but he actually got most of his shots off the dribble rather than catch and shoot off screens.

Really? I mean, like i said though, you know way more about WSU than i do, but this really surprises me. I would not have thought that in that offense last year, he would have been shooting most of his shots off the dribble, as opposed to catch and shoot.

Yeah, he handled the ball quite a bit last year when he was in. Didn't really look to create much though, which leads to the low turnovers. I'm not sure where to get the advanced stats, but I'd bet his 3pt% was almost twice as good off the dribble. His whole life he's had the ball in his hands the entire possession and jacked up a shot. He's better at that than catch-and-shoot.

PG is still a big question mark, but so too appear most of the things about this team. But I'll trust that most of them will be answered positively.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 9th, 2016, 11:26 am

tribecalledquest wrote:I don't think its an insult to Wichita State fans or the team or should come as a major shock to say they MIGHT take a step back this season after losing to All American level guys.

Couldn't agree more.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball