Shockers in Canada

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers in Canada

Postby Stickboy46 » August 10th, 2016, 9:27 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
He admitted he went too far and wasn't proud of it. He said he's not ashamed of the fact that he stood up for his players though.

I love how people keep throwing around the fact that it was an exhibition game. When a player goes down with a broken ankle, do you just tell the ankle that it was an exhibition game and it just says "oh sorry about that, I'll fix myself". Injuries happen in exhibitions too.

You really believe he did this to "stand up for his players"? Unselfish Gregg--always thinking about his players.

The fact that its an exhibition game makes his behavior even more embarassing. It would be embarrassing enough if it happened in a regular season game that matters--but the fact that it happened in August, in a game that doesn't matter makes it even worse.

No one is "judging" anyone here.

Making excuses for a grown man acting like a four-year old is ridiculous.

Please explain to me how you would tell your player who was seriously injured in a game that it "doesn't matter" because it was an exhibition game. I'd LOVE to hear that explanation.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 9:31 am

Cdizzle wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:You really believe he did this to "stand up for his players"? Unselfish Gregg--always thinking about his players.

Call it what you want. The man is a master at pushing the buttons of his players. Has been for 20 years. If people haven't figured that out yet, they probably never will.

Right. Ok.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 9:32 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
He admitted he went too far and wasn't proud of it. He said he's not ashamed of the fact that he stood up for his players though.

I love how people keep throwing around the fact that it was an exhibition game. When a player goes down with a broken ankle, do you just tell the ankle that it was an exhibition game and it just says "oh sorry about that, I'll fix myself". Injuries happen in exhibitions too.

You really believe he did this to "stand up for his players"? Unselfish Gregg--always thinking about his players.

The fact that its an exhibition game makes his behavior even more embarassing. It would be embarrassing enough if it happened in a regular season game that matters--but the fact that it happened in August, in a game that doesn't matter makes it even worse.

Please explain to me how you would tell your player who was seriously injured in a game that it "doesn't matter" because it was an exhibition game. I'd LOVE to hear that explanation.

That's not the topic here. Stop trying to make it about something it isn't.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 9:32 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:I would think if a coach had the concerns you claim. A coach would have called time out and discussed it with the officials.

Where I found the actions of the WSU coach unusual was the treatment of his own players and staff during the tirade.

I'm not judging anything. I watch a lot of Valley basketball and found it quite out of the norm.

He had multiple discussion with the refs (and scorers table) throughout the game. A lot of people that didn't watch anything except the tirade video are trying to judge this.

Were you at the game?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » August 10th, 2016, 9:34 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

That's not the topic here. Stop trying to make it about something it isn't.

This is exactly the topic. Stop pointing out that its bad because it was an exhibition game if you don't want to defend that stance. The fact that its an exhibition game at all is irrelevant. He was standing up for his players.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » August 10th, 2016, 9:34 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:You really believe he did this to "stand up for his players"? Unselfish Gregg--always thinking about his players.

Call it what you want. The man is a master at pushing the buttons of his players. Has been for 20 years. If people haven't figured that out yet, they probably never will.

Right. Ok.

I am right. Agree to agree.

Having said that, I have no issues with other Valley fans having a field day with this. Can't blame anyone for that. You all already hate the guy and the team. Sports would be lame without crap like this.
Last edited by Cdizzle on August 10th, 2016, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » August 10th, 2016, 9:35 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:I would think if a coach had the concerns you claim. A coach would have called time out and discussed it with the officials.

Where I found the actions of the WSU coach unusual was the treatment of his own players and staff during the tirade.

I'm not judging anything. I watch a lot of Valley basketball and found it quite out of the norm.

He had multiple discussion with the refs (and scorers table) throughout the game. A lot of people that didn't watch anything except the tirade video are trying to judge this.

Were you at the game?

I watched the game from start to finish .. and saw multiple conversations with the refs and scorers table. You didn't watch it all yet are on here commenting.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 9:38 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
He was standing up for his players.

See...you buy the story he was "standing up for his players".

Most other grown ups see this as a guy acting like a petulant child, losing his mind, and throwing a temper tantrum. Again...I'm not making it out to more than that. I'm not saying Gregg Marshall is a horrible human.

In this situation....the one we are discussing....he acted like a fool. He went way overboard. To sell it as anything other than that is a REAL stretch.

I guess I don't see why its hard for some Wichita fans to just say "yeah, it was ridiculous. Gregg lost it. It was embarrassing and uncalled for. He looked like a fool." And then just move on?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » August 10th, 2016, 9:38 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:Really? Does he have to wait until someone is injured really bad? He already had one player get stitches and a concussion in the game.

The part you missed when you weren't actually watching the game was the fact that they called Brown for a foul when the McGill player was on top of his head going over his back on a textbook block out. Then a McGill player shoved a WSU player in the back right in front of the WSU bench.

But its pretty obvious you really don't care what happened .. you just want to judge.

I watched the Brown blockout several times and Zach was using his right arm to hold the McGill player behind him. It wasn't textbook and probably was a foul on him. Then Rashard Kelly got shoved after a rebound (which I think really set Marshall off), but only after Rashard put a shoulder into the guy's chest. Now, I think both of those events were a result of how much physicality the ref's were allowing McGill to get away with. It was the only way our guys could compete.

As for Marshall's meltdown, who remembers when Dana Altman went berserk on the refs at the end of a Creighton NIT game? Not much difference between the two, IMO.

Both of those points illustrate lack of control and regard for safety. Zach's Arms position doesn't condone the player to dangerously jump on his head, let alone REWARD that player with free throws out of it. If a player put a shoulder into someone then gets shoved back, both should have fouls. Letting it go just further advances it. Refs lost control 100%. That's just 2 examples in the minute before the tirade. That isn't counting the 2.5 quarters of rugby play that was allowed before that.

I would mostly agree with that.

It got to a point where Marshall needed to do something. I just think a better reaction would have been to call timeout, gather his team and lead them off the court to the locker room. An exhibition game isn't worth the tirade or chance of getting another player hurt after the tirade. According to Suellentrop the players were still jawing with each other a lot after the ejection, so things could have gotten worse.

Of course, it's easy to judge behavior in an emotionally intense situation. Live and learn.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » August 10th, 2016, 9:39 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
I watched the game from start to finish .. and saw multiple conversations with the refs and scorers table. You didn't watch it all yet are on here commenting.

I actually watched the second half and talked to two people at the game. One neutral and one associated with McGill. The neutral observer said the officiating wasn't good but Gregg totally embarrassed himself and everyone in the arena was shocked. The McGill person said he had never seen anything like it at any level.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball