sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Injury Evansville

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Injury Evansville

Postby Rollbird5 » September 7th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Dang, hate to see that happen to anyone. Hopefully Blake can make a healthy recovery
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dean Wormer » September 8th, 2016, 12:14 pm

I had thought this would this could be Marty's final season, barring something miraculous happening. Blake would be a senior, the admins don't appear to be offering financial incentives, and he has even put his hat in the ring for equal if not lesser jobs. The fanbase certainly appears restless.

Does this change things? Is Marty still the front runner for the hot seat with a Thursday night finish...or will he get another year to finish things with Blake?
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » September 8th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:I had thought this would this could be Marty's final season, barring something miraculous happening. Blake would be a senior, the admins don't appear to be offering financial incentives, and he has even put his hat in the ring for equal if not lesser jobs. The fanbase certainly appears restless.

Does this change things? Is Marty still the front runner for the hot seat with a Thursday night finish...or will he get another year to finish things with Blake?

If you're hanging on to a coach with 10 years of no success to milk one more year out of his average (at best) son, Evansville is even worse off then I thought. And I think they are pretty bad off.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » September 8th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:I had thought this would this could be Marty's final season, barring something miraculous happening. Blake would be a senior, the admins don't appear to be offering financial incentives, and he has even put his hat in the ring for equal if not lesser jobs. The fanbase certainly appears restless.

I don't really think this changes much. Simmons still has two or three years left on his contract. If the team finishes last and fails to be competitive, I think he's gone. I don't think Blake moves the needle that much. If the team finishes 7th and picks up a couple of wins over upper half MVC teams, I think he stays around for another year.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UEACES80 » September 8th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Not sure how it plays out at this point. I do think UE would like to see Marty stay as the Coach with Blake but not sure it buys Marty another season - I truly think the team performance this year will be the determining factor.

I know many here ridicule Marty but he isn't as bad as many make him out to be as a Coach. My biggest complaint as an Aces fan is that the offense is predictable be it Holsinger, Ely, Ryan or Ballantime as the scorer. I am not sure UE has such a player this year though if UE does stay with the Marty Motion I would think Jaylon Brown is the man with outside chances that either Dru Smith (Freshman) or Ryan Taylor (Soph transfer) are able to fill that role.

I think the UE fanbase would be happy with a less predictable offense with more of balanced attack - Marty is known as the Mule for having been a workhorse of a player and possibly as a Coach for not changing.

From what I have read Blake is amazing student with an outstanding GPA in Accounting. If Marty was to leave for any reason I do think Blake would have a chance to hook on with another D1 school under the Master's loophole for a one and done season. Not saying he plays a large role elsewhere but sometimes teams have a need for a role player for a single season.

No matter how this plays out I wish Marty and Blake the best as they have both put their hearts into UE Basketball.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball