Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 9th place during the 2016-17 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 12th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Bradley
35%
Evansville
45%
Illinois State
3%
Indiana State
2%
Loyola
6%
Missouri State
3%
Northern Iowa
No votes
Southern Illinois
2%
Wichita State
3%

Total votes : 62

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Postby Aargh » September 11th, 2016, 10:38 am

Ace75 wrote:Call me crazy but this team can be just as good as last year. This team will be very athletic and expect Tralore to get a lot of minutes in the middle. It's up to Marty how he plays them. If he plays the same motion offense it will not work with this team. This team needs to play uptempo. We will be fine.

OK, I will.

I voted before I saw Simmons was injured. I may have to raise my expectations for Evansville, since he's out.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 11th, 2016, 10:54 am

ACECARD wrote:Well, I can see why those who know little about the Aces, would vote them ninth. I follow them closer than other non Aces fans, and I don't know that much about them either. From what I have heard, and read, I think that the Aces do have some talent. Based on what I saw last year, I believe that Jaylon Brown was one of the three best point guards in the Valley. There is some thought that he might be moved to shooting guard this year, as a local boy from Evansville Reitz, is capable of playing point, and is a force in disrupting an opponents offense. I am always very skeptical of freshmen point guards though. Duane Gibson can also play point, and has been around for five years after missing last season with a bad knee. Ryan Taylor, a transfer from Ohio U, will be the 3 player, and has the tools to remind us of DJ Balentine, but that remains to be seen. Solomon Hainna, a 6'6" 25 year old JC transfer is supposed to be a very good rebounder for his size, and knows where the basket is also. He probably will be the 4, with Willie Wiley as a backup. Wiley had some good moments last year, but played so little it was hard to get an opinion of him. 7'1" Sergei Vucetic, and 6'8" David Howard will get most of the 5 action. Vucetic saw little action last year playing behind Giddy, but I thought he should have seen more action, and I understand he spent all summer gaining weight, and improving his moves around the basket. He also can hold his own on the defensive end of the court. Howard showed some good moves last year, but didn't play as consistently as I would have liked.

If these guys can fit into Marty's system, they might be better than you think. If not, they could give Drake some competition for last. My gut tells me they will be a Thursday team, my heart hopes for better than that. Without seeing the new guys actually play the game, it is a bit hard to say how they will do.

Lotta "maybes" in there.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 11th, 2016, 10:56 am

ACECARD wrote:
Ace75 wrote:Call me crazy but this team can be just as good as last year. This team will be very athletic and expect Tralore to get a lot of minutes in the middle. It's up to Marty how he plays them. If he plays the same motion offense it will not work with this team. This team needs to play uptempo. We will be fine.

Yes 75, I did overlook Dalen Traore, a 6'9" 230 lb JR JC transfer from the Ivory Coast. He will see plenty of action at the 5, and possibly could be the best of the bunch. I won't call you crazy because I don't know you, but in my wildest dreams I don't see the Aces being as good as last year. Don't expect the same respect from three or four WSU posters to this forum. Most of them are the poorest winners i have ever seen.

Yes, there are some poor losers amidst our crowd too.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 11th, 2016, 11:00 am

Aargh wrote:

OK, I will.

I voted before I saw Simmons was injured. I may have to raise my expectations for Evansville, since he's out.

I am sure Simmons is a nice kid, but he is not a basketball player.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 11th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
Aargh wrote:

OK, I will.

I am sure Simmons is a nice kid, but he is not a basketball player.

By all accounts he's a great kid. Wonderful student and teammate. I do think he can play the game. But he's not a starter in D1 at our level in my opinion. His niche IMO would be as a spark plug off the bench or moving to D2 he could be a primary player. I wish him a speedy recovery as I'm sure everyone on this forum does.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 12th, 2016, 8:32 am

glm38 wrote:I do think he can play the game. But he's not a starter in D1 at our level in my opinion.

The fact that he is kind of indicates the actual 'level' going on.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » September 12th, 2016, 9:27 am

Wufan wrote:Okay Bradley fans, what's your answer?

We had two people on the all freshman team last year. The only people we lost are the ones we ran off. The biggest jump in improvement is from Freshman to Sophomore year. Wardle actually had a year (as opposed to a month) to recruit players and only needed to take 5 or 6 instead of an entire roster, several of which have created a lot of buzz (Jojo and Brown mainly IMO). We should be tough to beat at home and the valley as a whole is weak enough for us to maybe steal a game or two on the road.

I think somewhere between 6-8 Valley wins is a very realistic and achievable goal this season, probably putting us somewhere around 6th or 7th on par with Indiana State, and finishing ahead of Drake, Evansville and Loyola IMO.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » September 12th, 2016, 12:16 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Wufan wrote:Okay Bradley fans, what's your answer?

We had two people on the all freshman team last year. The only people we lost are the ones we ran off. The biggest jump in improvement is from Freshman to Sophomore year. Wardle actually had a year (as opposed to a month) to recruit players and only needed to take 5 or 6 instead of an entire roster, several of which have created a lot of buzz (Jojo and Brown mainly IMO). We should be tough to beat at home and the valley as a whole is weak enough for us to maybe steal a game or two on the road.

I think somewhere between 6-8 Valley wins is a very realistic and achievable goal this season, probably putting us somewhere around 6th or 7th on par with Indiana State, and finishing ahead of Drake, Evansville and Loyola IMO.

:Cheers:
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » September 13th, 2016, 11:41 am

The official MVCfans.com prediction for 9th place during the 2016-17 men's Missouri Valley Conference basketball season - Evansville.

The voting for 8th place will begin shortly.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » September 14th, 2016, 10:41 am

Yep. You're crazy. What in the last 9 years would make you think anything would change?

Here are the numbers: 151-143 in 9 seasons. You also might want to factor in that UE is 10-0 against D2 and D3 competition while he has been the coach. That means he is 2 games UNDER .500 in 9 years vs. D1 opponents.

How does a program have 7 seniors and the general consensus is that is a rebuilding year?
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball