Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 8th place during the 2016-17 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 18th, 2016, 11:53 am

Bradley
57%
Illinois State
3%
Indiana State
5%
Loyola
21%
Missouri State
2%
Northern Iowa
2%
Southern Illinois
5%
Wichita State
5%

Total votes : 58

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Postby Rambler63 » September 15th, 2016, 11:59 am

I can't for the life of me figure out why Loyola is getting votes here.

1. Loyola adds Iowa State transfer Clayton Custer at PG.
2. Donte Ingram is ready to become a MVC second-team level player; he averaged 10.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 45.5% FG% in his last 14 games last season. Had great games on summer trip to Spain.
3. Aundre Jackson is a 6'5" 230 juco forward who plays like Christian Thomas. He averaged 9.3 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 54.8 FG% in 23.8 mpg in the four games on this summer's Spain trip.
4. Matt Chastain is an explosive scorer, 6'6", versatile, and really able to exploit mismatches.
5. Milton Doyle is a senior and in his best shape physically since his freshman year.
6. Ben Richardson was the top 3FG% in the league last year, (44.4%) and is one of the best defenders in the league (32 steals to only 26 turnovers, plus 52 assists).
7. Other newcomers include 6'8" juco Vlatko Granic, 6'4" SG Cameron Satterwhite (former Colorado signee), and another 6'4" SG Bruno Skokna.

I've got Loyola finishing in the 3-6 range, with 4th or 5th most probable. I've got Bradley here, and SIU up next.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BuBrave2006 » September 15th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Rambler63 wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out why Loyola is getting votes here.

2. Donte Ingram is ready to become a MVC second-team level player; he averaged 10.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 45.5% FG% in his last 14 games last season. Had great games on summer trip to Spain.
3. Aundre Jackson is a 6'5" 230 juco forward who plays like Christian Thomas. He averaged 9.3 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 54.8 FG% in 23.8 mpg in the four games on this summer's Spain trip.
4. Matt Chastain is an explosive scorer, 6'6", versatile, and really able to exploit mismatches.
5. Milton Doyle is a senior and in his best shape physically since his freshman year.
6. Ben Richardson was the top 3FG% in the league last year, (44.4%) and is one of the best defenders in the league (32 steals to only 26 turnovers, plus 52 assists).
7. Other newcomers include 6'8" juco Vlatko Granic, 6'4" SG Cameron Satterwhite (former Colorado signee), and another 6'4" SG Bruno Skokna.

I've got Loyola finishing in the 3-6 range, with 4th or 5th most probable. I've got Bradley here, and SIU up next.

I'll believe in Custer when i see him. Drake thought they were in great shape when they got two B1G Transfers. Chastain is a freshman who had three good weeks and exploded onto the scene. I'll believe in him when i see it. Doyle has regressed every year and I don't see any reason why this year would be any different.

Also, it sounds like you don't have any size. Jackson going to be your starting center at 6-5? If not him, then who? Rajala? Kirby? Without Montel James, I think it will be very difficult for you guys to rebound and defend inside.

This is just an outsider's look at how Loyola shapes up this season.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » September 15th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Wufan wrote:Are the folks that are voting WSU going to vote them straight through to the end? Are they basically picking "the field"?

If its anything like past years, it is Wichita State fans voting them there to be obnoxious.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » September 15th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Wufan wrote:Same goes for the ISUr and UNI votes. It's just silliness to predict any of the three as a Thursday team. That's not to say it isn't possible, but it shows either a lack of sensability or a lack of maturity.

fan - A shortened form of "fantatic", which is a person who, in certain emotional contexts, lacks sensibility and/or maturity.

- A direct quote from the RoyalShock Contemporary English Sportionary.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Blers » September 15th, 2016, 3:57 pm

One thing Moser has proven is that he plays better with smaller mobile bigs. They won the CBI two years ago with Montel James as the only true big and Christian Thomas as a PF at a generous 6’5. That team relied heavily on freshmen like Richardson and Ingram, and JUCO transfers like James and Peterson. There are really a lot of similarities in their favor (mean’s nothing if they don’t put it on the court). The team is built on grit and grinding out rebounds and every defensive series. Last year they struggled with a leadership void; this year Richardson and Custer have filled it.

The suggestion that Doyle regressed every season is also statistically untrue. His sophomore year he shot far more efficiently just at a lower clip which slightly lowered his ppg. But all other major statistics improved. Last year he clearly wasn’t himself, there was likely uncertainty if he would return to school and it’s been suggested he went through a lot in the year. He added ten pounds in the offseason and certainly wants to go out with his stock as high as possible; I expect a solid rebound season.

Chastain’s high school career was an explosion waiting to happen; it just took Utah noticing him to light the fuse. Loyola just happened to be there first. He’ll take have freshmen moments, but all early returns show him and 3 star recruit Cam Satterwhite being a big piece.

From an outside perspective, and I’m specifically asking Sub, I’m curious where all the disdain for Moser comes from. He’s not perfect, but in the last two years the team very rarely gets blown out, he has won a post season tournament, got at least one win at every conference tournament and beat Creighton. I may be in the minority, but I think he’s a solid coach, not a world beater, not best in conference, but respectable. He’s 39-30 in the last two years and recruitment has been WAY past where it was in the past. Anyway… I have them as a five seed this year!
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 15th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Rambler63 wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out why Loyola is getting votes here.

The reason Loyola is getting votes here is because they don't have much size. You do a nice job explaining why they will overcome it in your next post, but that's why. I agree that Loyola has a nice group of perimeter players and MIGHT have enough skill and quickness in the post to be dangerous, but not a lock to finish higher than 8th. All that said, I didn't vote them here and I won't vote them for 7th either.

James, Custer, Richardson, and Ingram are good enough that I think they avoid Thursday. A serviceable post and one guy that has a FOY type season pushes them up the standings rapidly.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » September 16th, 2016, 8:34 am

Blers wrote:From an outside perspective, and I’m specifically asking Sub, I’m curious where all the disdain for Moser comes from. He’s not perfect, but in the last two years the team very rarely gets blown out, he has won a post season tournament, got at least one win at every conference tournament and beat Creighton. I may be in the minority, but I think he’s a solid coach, not a world beater, not best in conference, but respectable. He’s 39-30 in the last two years and recruitment has been WAY past where it was in the past. Anyway… I have them as a five seed this year!

Because he has a history of mediocrity at best in the MVC and has shown nothing to change that. I've said from day one of you guys in the MVC that if you're going to be serious about basketball, you need to make a change at the top and I still believe that. Moser was always able to recruit pretty well, but he's never been able to do much of anything with that. To me, that says he's not a very good coach. The revolving door in the post is another indication of that to me. You've had a couple of guys inside that appeared at least promising that he's run off. He's shown no desire to build any depth and I think it'll take a miracle or a couple of major injuries from other teams for Loyola to avoid Drake Night.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » September 16th, 2016, 8:54 am

I have Loyola anywhere from 4 to 8. There is talent there, but its all unproven. Even Doyle is unproven IMO, he's been very hit and miss over his career. While Moser isn't a bad coach, he hasn't shown he can take unproven talent and really do anything with it. Winning the CBI is great and all ... but its still the CBI. Its still where mid tier MVC teams go.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUShox88 » September 16th, 2016, 9:02 am

[quote="Khan4Cats"][quote="Wufan"]Are the folks that are voting WSU going to vote them straight through to the end? Are they basically picking "the field"?[/quote]

If its anything like past years, it is Wichita State fans voting them there to be obnoxious.[/quote]

Nah, all of those posters have been shooed away because they made too many other Valley fans cry.

Turner basically nailed it.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BuBrave2006 » September 16th, 2016, 9:11 am

You also have to take into account that Loyola lost at home to one of, it not "the" worst team in the history of Bradley's basketball program. Loyola loses their best player off of that team. You better hope that your incoming players can fill in some gaps.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball