Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 8th place during the 2016-17 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 18th, 2016, 11:53 am

Bradley
57%
Illinois State
3%
Indiana State
5%
Loyola
21%
Missouri State
2%
Northern Iowa
2%
Southern Illinois
5%
Wichita State
5%

Total votes : 58

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Postby Blers » September 16th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Understood, and agree to disagree in that case. But I hope we both get what we ultimately want from LUC!
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » September 16th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Blers wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:
Blers wrote:From an outside perspective, and I’m specifically asking Sub, I’m curious where all the disdain for Moser comes from. He’s not perfect, but in the last two years the team very rarely gets blown out, he has won a post season tournament, got at least one win at every conference tournament and beat Creighton. I may be in the minority, but I think he’s a solid coach, not a world beater, not best in conference, but respectable. He’s 39-30 in the last two years and recruitment has been WAY past where it was in the past. Anyway… I have them as a five seed this year!

Because he has a history of mediocrity at best in the MVC and has shown nothing to change that. I've said from day one of you guys in the MVC that if you're going to be serious about basketball, you need to make a change at the top and I still believe that. Moser was always able to recruit pretty well, but he's never been able to do much of anything with that. To me, that says he's not a very good coach. The revolving door in the post is another indication of that to me. You've had a couple of guys inside that appeared at least promising that he's run off. He's shown no desire to build any depth and I think it'll take a miracle or a couple of major injuries from other teams for Loyola to avoid Drake Night.

I personally don't care about what Moser did at Illinois State as a coach in his mid 30's; I just look at recent history. 15-21 in conference the last two years is by no means outstanding but his teams almost always compete, and the team is far better than when it entered the league. He's beaten every team at least once with the exception of Wichita (though we've had several good showings against them), and swept UNI last year. Winning the CBI may be what "mid tier" MVC teams do, but it also represents Moser turning the squad into a mid tier squad after one year in the league (I understand this is interpreted as more of a sign of the leagues health, but you can't blame Loyola for taking advantage of the opportunity they were given).

I look at his ability to recruit with the general lack of fan support and athletic facilities compared to other schools is remarkable. He recently landed the best pure center in Illinois in Cam Krutwig for next year. The profile of recruits he's gained recently has raised substantially. Whereas in his first 3 years he was recruiting mostly no name players with little profile (outside Doyle) we're now players with some bigger fish. To me that's a sign of a growing program. History also shows that he hires quality staffs and has quality connections with the recent hires of Daniyal Robinson (Iowa State) and most recently Emanuel Dildy (Mizzou).

I'm obviously biased, but I do understand his flaws. Offensively this team can become dreadful to watch when things aren't going their way and it's up to him to get them back on track. Losing 4 conference games by a combined 6 points is inexcusable, that was the difference between a 11-7 team and the 7-11 team we were...he needs to get his teams to put games away and finish consistently. Furthermore he needs to show he can consistently put quality big men on the floor and finish higher than sixth in conference.

But it doesn't change the face that he's started to install a culture and identity given a team that had none for the previous 30 years. Eventually that will not be good enough, but I think he's earned a lot of Rambler fans trust for the time being; and I'm excited to see where he takes the team over the next two seasons.

As a side note, I'm super excited to see Bradley play this season, I love their potential and don't look forward to playing them a few years down the road.

I think what you are getting in disagreement is that most teams wouldn't see 15-21 in conference as a success. A CBI tournament championship is nice, but it needs to lead to something better. Last year was a step back, so the next two years are important in my opinion, and he's earned it with the recruiting. He needs an NIT birth or all is for mediocrity and it's time to take the next step.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » September 17th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Might want to be a little careful about wanting Moser replaced at Loyola. He's probably better than any coach they could hire. Coaches looking for stepping stone jobs can find better opportunities than trying to make Loyola significant in the Valley. MSU is probably seen as a more attractive opportunity.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » September 18th, 2016, 8:13 am

Aargh wrote:Might want to be a little careful about wanting Moser replaced at Loyola. He's probably better than any coach they could hire. Coaches looking for stepping stone jobs can find better opportunities than trying to make Loyola significant in the Valley. MSU is probably seen as a more attractive opportunity.

So instead of taking a chance on getting better, they should continue with subpar performances and be happy with it? If that's the approach we added another Evansville.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » September 18th, 2016, 9:52 am

I only get to see Loyola in person at the MVC tournament. They always seem to give who ever they are playing a real scare if they don't win.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » September 18th, 2016, 10:04 am

Bradley was soooo bad last season that I can't imagine them leapfrogging 3-4 teams. So I voted for them.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Blers » September 18th, 2016, 11:38 am

Sub I'm not sure if you lost a bet putting the Ramblers or what given how you soured so quickly. I realize it's outlandish to compare the two; but Marshall and Mosers first to seasons of valley play are identical. Marshall took a leap forward to 12-6 the next season, and Moser didn't, though as mentioned he was 6 pts away from 11-7. That said both showed growth over the years, and growth takes time. Resources at Loyola are limited compared to most other schools, and Mosers a hometown guy. He was also hired as a horizon league coach and was able to flip horizon league talent into something respectable(Milton is the only horizon recruit remaining).

No one was happy or satisfied with last year. Fans were pissed and some called for him to be better; but the fact of the matter is this was a team that was irrelevant in the Horizon league for the better part of 30 years; and he's built a team that fans are now beginning to hold accountable. So I give him two more years to see what happens. This program didn't have a single brick laid when he started. It's unrealistic to think it'd be fully built by someone else now; and a complete tear down at this point would just put us back at the bottom when at a of right now we're taking a risk in believing he can take the next step. And if in two years nothing changes or they regress nightly this year then I was wrong, we'll all be angry and a change will need to be made.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AngryShock » September 18th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Are 500 fans enough to hold a coach accountable?

Comparing 3G who was a proven winner and Moser who is a proven non winner is f'ing laughable
AngryShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UEACES80 » September 19th, 2016, 9:47 am

Blers I agree with your post but get used to it on here if you are not WSU or UNI you will be ridiculed and insulted for having an opinion by a few of the posters on here.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » September 19th, 2016, 10:56 am

UEACES80 wrote:Blers I agree with your post but get used to it on here if you are not WSU or UNI you will be ridiculed and insulted for having an opinion by a few of the posters on here.

Wow. Care to rehash all the insults ridicule in this post? Could it not be that is a normal difference of opinion that is being discussed congenially?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball