Allen leaves Shux

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Allen leaves Shux

Postby chitown fanatic » September 21st, 2016, 2:45 pm

how big a loss is this for the shux? the article in Kansas news makes it seem like marshall already knew this was coming....but hard to say for sure.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Allen leaves Shux

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Allen leaves Shux

Postby Stickboy46 » September 21st, 2016, 3:25 pm

Well its definitely a loss because the kid by every report was a hard worker and a good kid. Also key to note that he is leaving for personal reasons, not because of Basketball or off the court issues.

As far as the impact this year? I'm not sure. He came in with a lot of potential, but frankly, from the little time we saw in Canada, he couldn't guard anyone. Any player he guarded drove right around him. Its like he was 2 steps too slow. It seemed like he had offensive potential, but it really didn't show either. There are quite a few guards in the lineup for this year (though most are not proven at all). Shamet, Frankamp and Smith were all for sure above him on the depth chart. Reaves and Keyser seem to have the potential to be just as good if not better than Allen. So he might have been pretty far down. Hard to really say though without any games to go off of.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUShox88 » September 21st, 2016, 3:54 pm

Wow, I thought chitown has passed.

I guess he must think the Braves are going to be north of 10th since he's back to posting again.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby chitown fanatic » September 22nd, 2016, 7:28 am

WSUShox88 wrote:Wow, I thought chitown has passed.

I guess he must think the Braves are going to be north of 10th since he's back to posting again.

Once WSUBaller or whatever his handle was stopped posting and the bj's went away, there really hasn't been a lot to argue with, and yes, with BU in the toilet, not a whole lot to post about that either :) For what its worth, I think BU could finish out of Thursday this year, if only because our league is soooo bad this year. Other than UNI and ISU red(cant believe I typed that) , I don't see anyone else that good, including your beloved shux, who I pick for 3rd this year. I think 7-10 are SIU, Loyola, the Drake and Evansville. BU will only be as good as our new frosh PG and juco F take us, but since I still don't see any real scoring threats, 6th is probably our ceiling, a position I would gladly take to get out of the abyss
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » September 22nd, 2016, 7:35 am

I agree with Stickboy. He didn't show much in Canada and outside of being a little used shooter, I didn't see him logging many minutes. Allen would have played on the wing, which he was definitely behind Shamet, Brown, McDuffie and Frankamp. And if Keyser gets back in shape after his injury, he has a lot of upside and could possibly be ahead of Allen there as well.

Whatever is going on with the young man, I hope it all works out for the best. By all accounts, he's a good kid and has worked hard this past year with the team.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » September 22nd, 2016, 8:02 am

chitown fanatic wrote:Once WSUBaller or whatever his handle was stopped posting and the bj's went away, there really hasn't been a lot to argue with, and yes, with BU in the toilet, not a whole lot to post about that either :) For what its worth, I think BU could finish out of Thursday this year, if only because our league is soooo bad this year. Other than UNI and ISU red(cant believe I typed that) , I don't see anyone else that good, including your beloved shux, who I pick for 3rd this year. I think 7-10 are SIU, Loyola, the Drake and Evansville. BU will only be as good as our new frosh PG and juco F take us, but since I still don't see any real scoring threats, 6th is probably our ceiling, a position I would gladly take to get out of the abyss

:+1:
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockalot » September 22nd, 2016, 7:14 pm

I understand that if one is not that familiar with the players on this year's Shocker team one would likely underestimate them to some extent. Of course, I am likely, like most fans, to be prone to being overly optimistic of my team. But, looking at what UNI lost and thinking, as a non-UNI fan, that they will certainly be better than WSU doesn't look like solid analysis to me, not to say it isn't possible. I can see how some might see ISUr as potentially being better than WSU this year, though I would not agree with that analysis either.
I think those are the most likely top three finishers, but for UNI to finish above WSU, they have to replace their top two 3 point shooters and their top assist man (by a large margin) who was also their best athlete the only consistent drive to the hoop artist. It looks to me like they will have a more difficult time replacing those losses with who they have than does WSU in replacing Ron and Fred. (UNI also needs more contributions from the front court guys, which they should get this year, but it is still a question mark.)
Not to minimize the loss of two phenomenal players to WSU. It will be a challenge and WSU will be a different type of team, no doubt about it. Yet, they do at least have a couple of four star guys in Conner and Landry, (along with other potential contributors) to try to mitigate that great loss. With Markis and Shaq, who have already shown they are gifted players, and several other experienced front court guys, no other team appears to have the depth of talent that WSU does, including ISUr.
ISUr has a talented and experienced core, and they should be formidable. But they seem a bit thin in the front court to me.
It should be a more competitive year this year for sure.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSUShox88 » September 22nd, 2016, 10:30 pm

3rd? lol. I'm sure you picked them about 6th in 2013 when they lost their top 6 scorers from the previous year.

Well, if it's anything like your predictions of years' past, you'll be wrong again and go absent again for another decade.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BuBrave2006 » September 23rd, 2016, 8:59 am

WSUShox88 wrote:3rd? lol. I'm sure you picked them about 6th in 2013 when they lost their top 6 scorers from the previous year.

Well, if it's anything like your predictions of years' past, you'll be wrong again and go absent again for another decade.

Is it really "unreasonable" for anyone to think that Wichita might take a step back and finish third? You are acting like Wichita is the unanimous prohibitive favorite. I think Wichita, UNI and ISUr should and probably will finish in the top three, but the order is anyone's guess to me. Granted, I am predicting, Wichita, UNI and ISUr in that order, but i wouldn't criticize anyone who thinks Wichita "might" take a step back after losing two all-americans.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » September 23rd, 2016, 9:22 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
WSUShox88 wrote:3rd? lol. I'm sure you picked them about 6th in 2013 when they lost their top 6 scorers from the previous year.

Is it really "unreasonable" for anyone to think that Wichita might take a step back and finish third? You are acting like Wichita is the unanimous prohibitive favorite. I think Wichita, UNI and ISUr should and probably will finish in the top three, but the order is anyone's guess to me. Granted, I am predicting, Wichita, UNI and ISUr in that order, but i wouldn't criticize anyone who thinks Wichita "might" take a step back after losing two all-americans.

UNI's ceiling is as high as it's ever been.

The talent, top to bottom, and athleticism has never been higher. HOWEVER, much of it is based on potential at this point. Yes, we have some solidified "stars". However, our PG rotation is going to be a true freshman, a red-shirt freshman, and a JUCO transfer.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball