Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 18th, 2017, 10:27 am

acesfool wrote:Is there any other coach in the country that runs an offense for guards to shoot elbow jumpers?

UCLA did this a few decades ago. Used to work out for them...

8-)
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » January 18th, 2017, 10:30 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:
acesfool wrote:Is there any other coach in the country that runs an offense for guards to shoot elbow jumpers?

8-)

Also Bobby Knight. Also 30 years ago. Note: Both were pre-3pt line. Don't try to explain this to Evansville fans though.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 18th, 2017, 10:34 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:

8-)

Also Bobby Knight. Also 30 years ago. Note: Both were pre-3pt line. Don't try to explain this to Evansville fans though.

True story!!!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » January 18th, 2017, 11:38 am

That's the genius of it.

No one else does it. Impossible to prepare for. Impossible to stop.

It's why Evansville has all of the NCAA trips, S16 and deeper runs, NIT appearances, conference titles, etc.... using that system.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UE-grad » January 18th, 2017, 11:46 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:The Aces beat Mt. St. Joseph tonight to bring their record vs non-D1 opponents to 12-0 under Coach Simmons. That means I forgot to note a milestone last Saturday. The Aces are now 149-148 vs D1 opponents in the last 10 years - the first time ever above .500 in last decade.

That is an upward trend. On to conference play.

Don't forget the exhibition loss to DIII DePauw in year 2 or 3.
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UE-grad » January 18th, 2017, 12:00 pm

I'm sick of the money excuse as well.

Marty is incapable of making adjustments, or trying anything out of the box.

Money isn't the reason the game plan is the same against St. Mary of the Woods, or Louisville on their home floor. Money isn't the reason when you're down 12 with 4 minutes to go you use 27 seconds of the shot clock. Money isn't the reason when your down 12 with 3 minutes to go you don't foul on every possession. MARTY is the problem.

To beat a team that is much better than you, you can't do the same thing, only hoping the execution is perfect on your side (ie 65% from the floor) and terrible on the other side (see UNI missing their first 13 3pt attempts or WSU sleepwalking for the first 14 minutes last night).

IlSU on Sunday played zone against WSU to great success - why wouldn't Marty do the same especially with nobody in the middle to compete and the top 2 scorers playing 36+ mpg.
SIU played a triangle in 2 last Saturday against UE - do they do that night in/night out?

I didn't make the drive last night to go to the game, so I watched on TV. I had to shake my head when they touted UE's 3pt D prowess in conference play. Marty's 3pt defensive strategy is to hope they miss. The announcers finally discussed the point that sometimes there is such a thing as "too much help."

Not soon after they flashed the stat that UE is LAST in the nation for 3pt attempts and makes per game. The comment was "there's a reason you only score 65 ppg, you can't score if you don't take the 3."

I'm done, we've been season ticket holders for the last 9 seasons, this is it.
:huh: :Violin: :Bam: :cry:
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UEACES80 » January 18th, 2017, 5:04 pm

I watched last night and my thoughts were how rough is next year going to be without Jaylon Brown? Pretty rough! Ryan Taylor is a good player but if they aren't overly competitive with Brown and Taylor I just don't see next year being anything but further downhill.

Some of you will pile on about this loyalty thing but it will be tough call if Blake wants to return next year - though it is one that needs to be made. Outside the box and from left field (actually Texas) but how is the AD perceived? Is he liked and carrying his weight? Could Marty be bumped to Asst AD so he is not totally thrown to the curb? I wouldn't think the AD position for Marty as he would likely simply hand the reigns to one of his Assistants (who likely who continue the same style of play).

The real time to have had a new coach was after last season so the recruiting with all the open scholarships after this season could have been recruited this full HS season. Last year UE opened up 4 scholarships with DJ, E-Mo, Wing and Brozja. After this year there are 5 more open for sure with Benzon, Brown, Howard, Vucetic & Wiley. Plus Gibson and Blake might move if they graduate or even if a coaching chance was made. Thus potentially 7 scholies open but I wouldn't think a new coach would use more than 1 or 2 on HS kids due to lack of recruiting time; instead use a plan of using 2 on HS and 2 JC and banking 3 for the next season unless a quality recruit or transfer that he is connected to wants to come with him. This way a new coach could recruit his own players hard rather than be rushed and have to settle.

However I imagine we are all dreaming unless someone can convince UE that attendance could be bumped up with a new coach bringing a different and more up tempo style of hoops is needed to generate fan interest.

That's my 2 cents as this at the current moment. Let me know if any of you locals see Bill Self or Billy Donovan roaming around UE - LOL.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » January 18th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Glad this thread has resurfaced with the stellar 1-6 start to conference play. Bringing Marty's MVC record to a stellar 70-99. I've been fed up for awhile but held out hope when I saw the 'new guys' playing with a lot of floor spacing and dribble penetration at the start of the year. That has been completely coached out.

I forgot that only good shots come from the designated shooter after he runs his man off 3 screens. The spacing is gone and there are always 2 Aces and their defenders in the lane at all times. On the off chance that Brown or Taylor beat their man off the dribble (their actual strength) they meet 4 bodies.

For some reason the UE administration feels worried that they can't do better - or even worse - a New coach will succeed and move on.

Let's think. Here's a list off the top of my head:
Kevin Stallings - ISUr - Vandy (now Pitt)
Steve Alford - MSU - Iowa (now UCLA)
Cuonzo Martin - MSU - Cal
Dana Altman - Creighton - Oregon
Bruce Weber - SIU - Illinois (now KState)
Matt Painter - SIU - Purdue
Mark Turgeon - WSU - TAMU (now Maryland)
Greg McDermott - UNI - Iowa St (now CRE)

But these are coaches that have spent time in the MVC and moved on to bigger jobs since 1999 - the last time UE was in the NCAAs.
So why would an up and coming young coach that wins be a bad thing?
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball