Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Postby Tom Servo » October 5th, 2016, 8:23 am

purple&orange wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:league goals seem like very good goals to me. And I agree about NIT and NCAA needing to be the goal now. But those two are not necessarily aligned. For instance, last year Evansville tied for 2nd in the league (which is great), but had zero shot at an at-large NCAA bid, and were even hamstrung wrt NIT bid. I'm curious what gives you hope that after 10 years, something will be different in the recruiting or scheduling philosophies that will enable the achievement of the goals you listed. I get being gun-shy because 10th place seasons suck. But so does being assured mediocrity is the peak.

Recruiting and keeping a 4-man that wants to do nothing but set screens and rebound is proving difficult, which is not shocking. That's not likely to change.

Good points for sure.

You are absolutely right about the schedule last year, and that is something that has to be changed. That definitely hurt us last year and I hope that the leason was learned from it. I would think any reasonable coach and AD would understand they can never do that again. The sad thing is this year's schedule is better than last years.

His recruiting has been a little bit better as of late, that is sort of why I am hopeful. Mainly because of the 4 men that he has signed, Dru Smith, Ryan Taylor, and Silas Adheke. There are couple of other good looking prospects he has offered for 2017 that would be a great fit for the motion offense.

The 4 man thing is a problem, it's been discussed ad nausem on the Aces board for years. I just hope the two guys I listed above will be able to fill that role this year. Once recruits see a guy actually putting up stats at that spot they would be more likely to come here in the future.

I guess one thing I would add, is that I would be willing to bet the extension is only for 1 or 2 more years and it will depend on how he does in these next two seasons. If he bombs this year, they might be able to buy him out and move on for a cheap price. At least that is what I hope. Because he has to prove that he can get past the mediocre stage. A lot of people in Evansville are sick of the "little ole' Evansville" excuses and want to start seeing some results. In my eyes he has two years to prove he can be better than mediocre. If he can't do it in these next two years, that's it.

I think we are on the same page here Tom. I would love to be wrong about this but I think it's a matter of how large of a step back, not if the Aces will take this season. Not that this season should be discounted or devalued in the grand scheme of things but to move forward the team can't just have the bottom fall out and finish at or near the very bottom. Every program may have a down year, but a true program can't have wild swings of finishing 2nd, then 2nd to last for example. Even bigger than the final record is how competitive can they be? Going out and not being competitive on the road in past seasons has been a real struggle for us. How they play, can they compete says a lot about the direction of the program as well.

The scheduling, rightfully so, has been debated. I keep going back to how Evansville has played against some Power 5 teams, etc in the past. Look at the game at Arkansas this past season. It was a pretty ugly loss. I wonder if that has always been in the back of the minds putting the schedule together. I recall friends talking about how they were the "Same ole Aces" after Arkansas put it on them in December.

Time will tell about this extension. When record wise this was the best season in quite some time and you look at the W-L records the last three seasons, it's a span that hasn't been equaled since I would guess the early 90s. It's been far too long and after nine seasons I agree that the NCAA/NIT has to be the end game, along with being a player for conference titles, upper half team, etc.....basically what I would say would be a page from the Northern Iowa playbook. I look at UNI as a team that is always competitive, a tough game every time out, and a threat at Arch Madness.

Now somebody has to finish last each season but the roller coaster nature of the wild swings during what I guess I'd call a rebuild aren't indicative of a program. I can't imagine a scenario where Coach Simmons would leave the program in anything but better shape than what he found it, but if you ask me, the state of the program on March 1st, 2018 will determine who is leading the Aces in the 2018-19 season.

You are exactly right, I agree 100%.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ACECARD » October 5th, 2016, 10:26 am

Yes, I also agree that purple&orange's post is probably the best one in this thread. I can hardly see how this years record will advance Marty's position as coach of the Aces. While one instance as coach of D2 SIU-Edwardsville in 2005-2006 is hardly something you can build a case on, it does show a happening that is similar to the Aces situation today. That year SIU-E was 25-8, and went to the Elite 8 D2 basketball tournament. Marty went from 9-18 three years earlier to that level. In 2006-2007, the following year, SIU-E was 15-12, and 10-9 in the conference, indicating that Marty shot his wad the year before, and had little left for the following year. Sound familiar? I have no idea what the Aces record will be this year, but at this point in time I sure as hell would take a .500 record. I have to believe that no matter the record this year, he will be back next year for Blake's last year. Anything less than a top 2 finish in the Valley, or an NIT invite, will be, or should be his last at UE.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » October 5th, 2016, 10:32 am

But....

Do you at least realize what the mantra of "NIT in Year 11 or Else!" sounds like to the rest of the league? Or at least to programs and fanbases in the league that would like to have multiple participants and legitimate seeds in the NCAA tournament?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » October 5th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Cdizzle let the past go it is water under the bridge. Aces fans are looking forward and I think it is nearly unanimous that we expect Marty to be here 2 more seasons and if they are in the PIG in 2017-18 he is gone.
He could be gone even if UE isn't in top 4 of the MVC in the 2017-18 season.

I for one think his commitment to the University has earned him the right to remain through his son's Senior season. I also hope that some of the newcomers step up and Blake is relegated to 6 man status or a roll player when he returns. I am not rooting against Blake simply just hope the team is good enough that he isn't a starter.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » October 5th, 2016, 3:48 pm

It is not water under the bridge. It's the current tanking of the conference, which my team is in. It indirectly but at times strongly influences the ability of my team to compete nationally. When Evansville finally wins the Valley tourney with their best team ever and is the lone entrant from the MVC into the NCAAs, I hope you enjoy the 40 point pasting you receive as the 16 seed. THAT is what this is about.

I am willing to be 1000% committed to Evansville University for 250K/yr plus perks in a field where no one else is interested in my skill set until my son completes his free education from a scholarship he wouldn't have if I wasn't the coach. Is that a real argument that just got used?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » October 5th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Cdizzle the time traveler not willing to let water pass under the bridge - SMH

UE fans are looking forward with goals (that we don't need your approval to have) - end of story
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » October 5th, 2016, 4:50 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Cdizzle the time traveler not willing to let water pass under the bridge - SMH

UE fans are looking forward with goals (that we don't need your approval to have) - end of story

Translation - A decade of mediocrity means nothing because we're ignoring the failings of the coach and looking towards the future....again....
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » October 5th, 2016, 8:39 pm

mvcfan wrote:
acepurple84 wrote:the horse is dead lets quit beating it and move on. What has happened, has happened. Does matter anymore. :huh:

I say if Evansville supporters are happy, then let's move on. After last year, I don't see them being relevant at the top half of the MVC for some time. Their time in the spotlight never was.

UEACES80 wrote:Cdizzle the time traveler not willing to let water pass under the bridge - SMH

I thought you were going to put this topic to bed days ago. Yet Shockers fans feel the need to keep it alive.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » October 6th, 2016, 10:59 am

I'm very sorry that I feel more like holding the Evansville program accountable than Evansville fans and administrators. That pretty much sums up the entire problem.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » October 6th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I'm very sorry that I feel more like holding the Evansville program accountable than Evansville fans and administrators. That pretty much sums up the entire problem.

Please don't lump all UE fans into that group. I wanted him gone after year 7. But just think, if he would have been gone we may not have had back to back 20 win seasons and irrelevant post season bids.

Here is a question to ask UE fans.....in the last 25 years how many players have started every game for 4 years? The answer is very very very few. BUT, Blake very well could be good enough to top this list.

That reason and that reason alone could be grounds for firing. ;)
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball