Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Postby uniftw » October 17th, 2016, 7:18 am

Ace75 wrote:
If you took a poll today and asked the Evansville fans if they wanted Marty for a coach I guarantee you he would be gone. All I am saying is don't group a whole fan base into what a couple posters say.

What's funny is I'm not sure I believe that.

I know internet fans don't represent the entire fan base, but I get a strong sense of support for Marty from every Evansville thing I read.

Even those that want him gone still have a strong sense of "What better can we do?" to their posts.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces1982 » October 17th, 2016, 11:14 am

Count me as one who wants him gone.

You won't see outrage on UE message board because too many want him to stay and they don't want to talk about it. They will say, nothing we can do, the powers to be thought he should get extension so lets not talk about it. Then the other half of people, don't want any negativity post because if you are negative about it that means you don't support the program :huh: Others also, want no bad comments because they say recruits read that board and it will effect their decisions. So it has to be all nice talk otherwise you will be dismissed as a troll.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » October 17th, 2016, 11:56 am

Aces1982 wrote:Count me as one who wants him gone.

You won't see outrage on UE message board because too many want him to stay and they don't want to talk about it. They will say, nothing we can do, the powers to be thought he should get extension so lets not talk about it. Then the other half of people, don't want any negativity post because if you are negative about it that means you don't support the program :huh: Others also, want no bad comments because they say recruits read that board and it will effect their decisions. So it has to be all nice talk otherwise you will be dismissed as a troll.

So you're saying there are more UE fans that disagree with the extension and are ready for a new coach than what it appears when reading online? That's at least somewhat encouraging. Although, if you aren't allowed to speak up and share opinions on a message board what's the point? The best discussions come when there is more than just one perspective.

But all I and others have to go off of is what we read from fans online and the Aces board appears to be overwhelmingly in support of Marty continuing to coach with little accountability as far as on court results. I do know there were a couple that disagreed but they are shot down by the majority as you said.

I know some on the UE board boasted of the win totals the last two years, but as I believe you pointed out over there, 50 wins in two years doesn't mean a whole lot when you're playing such a weak schedule. 50 wins in two years and you weren't even on the NIT bubble last year with what was probably the best team Marty will ever actually coach. I understand that he's a good guy and loves UE. But if the Aces ever want to be more than they are, I think Marty has had more than enough time to prove he's not the answer.

At least Drake fans b*tch about how bad they've been and try to hold their coach and the overall administration accountable on some level. I thought Giac was a good hire when it was made, but it's not looking promising. He and Simmons both need to be replaced I would think.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » October 17th, 2016, 12:32 pm

There are only a few ways fans can force change.

1. Bitching about it in public.
2. Writing e-mails to the AD
3. Stop going to games
4. Stop donating money

3 and 4 are most effective but most damaging. If all the fans are too chicken to say anything the AD/higher ups can only assume the general direction is "approved of"

UNI is going through this with football right now. #1 is happening in full force. I would bet #2 is happening in full force. I can tell you based on #1 that #3 is about to happen in full force real freaking quick. After that it won't take long for #4.

Difference is, UNI fans are willing to do #1 and #2 right now. A year or two ago we were. We finally hit a breaking point this year. A massively hyped team preseason (top 3 or 4 in every preseason poll) and the team is at 2-4 with the exact same issues plaguing the team from a personnel and scheme stand point as the last few years.

At some point the fans need to take charge of what they can take charge of.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 10th, 2016, 11:10 am

An article from Courier and Press......a few quotes...smh.

On the contrary, Ellerbrook said the basketball program has “exceeded his expectations” the past two seasons

“I think that’s where the big payoff will come in terms of applications and donations and alumni interest, but I’m hesitant to say that that is the absolute goal,” he said of the NCAA tournament. “We can have a successful program at (UE) without making the NCAA or for that matter, the NIT.

“As long as we put a competitive team on the floor and as long as we recruit the kind of kids who can be successful students at what is a pretty challenging academic institution and get them through and get them graduated, then I think we’re doing the right things and the donors are going to be pretty happy with what’s going on.”

Ellerbook hesitated. Then he made a concession.

“That’s not to say we wouldn’t celebrate even more if we made either the NCAA or the NIT.”

Ellerbook is on Board of Trustees.

This is a problem and I would say the way most think at UE.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » November 10th, 2016, 11:49 am

Aces1982 wrote:An article from Courier and Press......a few quotes...smh.

On the contrary, Ellerbrook said the basketball program has “exceeded his expectations” the past two seasons

“I think that’s where the big payoff will come in terms of applications and donations and alumni interest, but I’m hesitant to say that that is the absolute goal,” he said of the NCAA tournament. “We can have a successful program at (UE) without making the NCAA or for that matter, the NIT.

“As long as we put a competitive team on the floor and as long as we recruit the kind of kids who can be successful students at what is a pretty challenging academic institution and get them through and get them graduated, then I think we’re doing the right things and the donors are going to be pretty happy with what’s going on.”

“That’s not to say we wouldn’t celebrate even more if we made either the NCAA or the NIT.”

:shock: :x
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 10th, 2016, 11:50 am

Aces1982 wrote:An article from Courier and Press......a few quotes...smh.

That isn't a problem. Those are good things.

It's just the stance of a D2 school.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » November 14th, 2016, 9:04 am

Ellerbrook gets the academic side but doesn't seem to understand the Ricky Bobby side that you are either 1st or last.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mule » November 14th, 2016, 10:08 am

UEACES80 wrote:Ellerbrook gets the academic side but doesn't seem to understand the Ricky Bobby side that you are either 1st or last.
:+1: Fortunately, that trait runs strong in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri too.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby E-Villan » November 28th, 2016, 10:35 am

SubGod22 wrote:

So you're saying there are more UE fans that disagree with the extension and are ready for a new coach than what it appears when reading online? That's at least somewhat encouraging. Although, if you aren't allowed to speak up and share opinions on a message board what's the point? The best discussions come when there is more than just one perspective.

But all I and others have to go off of is what we read from fans online and the Aces board appears to be overwhelmingly in support of Marty continuing to coach with little accountability as far as on court results. I do know there were a couple that disagreed but they are shot down by the majority as you said.

I know some on the UE board boasted of the win totals the last two years, but as I believe you pointed out over there, 50 wins in two years doesn't mean a whole lot when you're playing such a weak schedule. 50 wins in two years and you weren't even on the NIT bubble last year with what was probably the best team Marty will ever actually coach. I understand that he's a good guy and loves UE. But if the Aces ever want to be more than they are, I think Marty has had more than enough time to prove he's not the answer.

At least Drake fans b*tch about how bad they've been and try to hold their coach and the overall administration accountable on some level. I thought Giac was a good hire when it was made, but it's not looking promising. He and Simmons both need to be replaced I would think.

I don't always agree with 82, but he is spot on this time. Most Aces fans are ready for a change, including me. Sorry, a coach in his 10th year, with ZERO meaningful postseason appearances, his current team headed for an almost certain Thursday night game in St. Louis, and wasting the talents of players like DJ, Mock, Colt, etc should be on the hot seat, not getting a freaking extension.

Like 82 said, don't base your opinions on the current postings on the Aces board. The board is getting almost unbearable with the sugar and spice, and everything nice ramblings that are prevalent there. Look, I stay off here because there is a lot of negativity and trolling, but 180 the other way is just as bad. If you think the fans are happy, I would suggest that the fact we have lost over 1/2 of our average attendance is sufficient proof. 5,000+ less people a game is more than a significant sign.

I am sick of the excuses. Yes, Marty is a great guy. I would love for him and his family to be my neighbors. Nothing would be more fun than spending a Saturday in the garage, smoking cigars and listening to him analyze a basketball game. Great people..but the sports world is littered with great people who couldn't get the job done.

Financial, I call BS as well. A long history of averaging 9K plus, that can be brought back. If we just got back to 9K, that is over $50K in additional revenue PER GAME, well in excess of $1MM a year. Not to mention the additional revenue generated from TV, boosters, name recognition, enrollments, etc. Seems like they can find money for the facilities, another strong recruiting tool. The renovations and additions to the athletic facilities on campus are fantastic. To me, it seems that Marty has been given some very good tools, not to mention that shining new barn downtown he can sell to recruits.

For us that have been around a while, and know full well what the history and capabilities here are, it is beyond frustrating. As others have said, fans need to become more vocal. The media, which used to actually do it's job, has become non-existent. When things were good, the local paper had no problem questioning things, to the point Crews refused to speak to them. Now, their beat writer does nothing but atta boy the team, pretty much the tone that is required on the message board. For example, I am not aware of anyone actually asking who was responsible for the awful schedule last year that denied some very talented players a chance at a real postseason experience. 2nd place in the Valley, and losing the championship game by a last second shot, and not even a sniff from the NIT is a sign of something terribly wrong. Either the AD or Simmons should have been hammered over that..but crickets.

Finally, I have refrained from this board due to a lot of mindless trolling...but I have seen nothing in this thread that isn't warranted. Any Aces fans who take offense to other fan bases questioning the logic of granting an extension to Marty with his 10 years of mediocrity really need to put on some big boy pants.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball