Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Postby Aces1982 » September 27th, 2016, 2:21 pm

UEACES80 wrote:UE last four years

21-15 2012-13
14-19 2013-14
24-12 2014-15
25-9 2015-16

That's why the next two years are important and if they regress sharply / the time for a change should be upon him as he will have proven his likely ceiling was already achieved and he doesn't have anymore recruiting gems. To can him after 3 20 win seasons in the last 4 years would be rather odd.

I am of the thought that after two years if UE is in PIG games both years the time has definitely come to move on and take the risk of potentially being dreadful and nearly certainly looking at a 3 year rebuild due to a new coach recruiting and the likely transfers related to a coaching change.

The other side though is who knew how good Holsinger / Ely / Ryan / Ballatine could be - well one coach saw something in them so let's see if he found any more gems before throwing him out the door.

BTW shouldn't Jake be on the Hot Seat for not being able to hold that lead versus Texas. Or Marshall for his Canadian meltdown - the answer is no to both and in my eyes Simmons while not anywhere as secure as those two does deserves another two years to see if he can maintain the level UE has had the last 4 seasons. (UNI you do know that if not for one freakish bounce of the ball you might have been the MVC runner up and Jake might be catching hell for having lost to LOC twice). Personally I think UE will be in the PIG this year and 2 years from now is way out but I would lean towards yes they will be in the PIG.

You know odds are no better than 50/50 that UE hires a better coach. For every Shaka Smart or Bruce Weber looking for that a first time gig there are 5 Steve Merfelds. Scott Thompson (WSU) or Sam Weaver (UNI).

Ely and Holsinger were recruited by Merfeld not Simmons.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby havoc » September 27th, 2016, 2:37 pm

uniftw wrote:
havoc wrote:
By my count, second most 1st team selections, last in second team selections (none), and 4th in combined 1st/2nd. All of UE's selections came from 3 players. Since UE's average finish over that time is 4/5th, I would think that is pretty much in line.

Care to break down UNI...or the full conference for that matter?

I'm normally game for it, but this topic isn't something I'm too deeply invested in beyond poking the UE fans.

You are a big boy, and I'm confident your UNI education has given you the ability to count that high. You can create your own fodder to feed your fetish.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » September 27th, 2016, 2:39 pm

UEACES80 wrote:UE last four years

21-15 2012-13
14-19 2013-14
24-12 2014-15
25-9 2015-16

That's why the next two years are important and if they regress sharply / the time for a change should be upon him as he will have proven his likely ceiling was already achieved and he doesn't have anymore recruiting gems. To can him after 3 20 win seasons in the last 4 years would be rather odd.

I am of the thought that after two years if UE is in PIG games both years the time has definitely come to move on and take the risk of potentially being dreadful and nearly certainly looking at a 3 year rebuild due to a new coach recruiting and the likely transfers related to a coaching change.

The other side though is who knew how good Holsinger / Ely / Ryan / Ballatine could be - well one coach saw something in them so let's see if he found any more gems before throwing him out the door.

BTW shouldn't Jake be on the Hot Seat for not being able to hold that lead versus Texas. Or Marshall for his Canadian meltdown - the answer is no to both and in my eyes Simmons while not anywhere as secure as those two does deserves another two years to see if he can maintain the level UE has had the last 4 seasons. (UNI you do know that if not for one freakish bounce of the ball you might have been the MVC runner up and Jake might be catching hell for having lost to LOC twice). Personally I think UE will be in the PIG this year and 2 years from now is way out but I would lean towards yes they will be in the PIG.

You know odds are no better than 50/50 that UE hires a better coach. For every Shaka Smart or Bruce Weber looking for that a first time gig there are 5 Steve Merfelds. Scott Thompson (WSU) or Sam Weaver (UNI).

So if simply getting 20 wins saves him, he has no reason to try and schedule up. Ever. Hell, this past season you could tell he was trying to guarantee 20 by a weak schedule even though he had probably the best team he'll ever have.

Enjoy those 20 wins and no post-season appearances. That is if you ever put a solid team on the court again under Marty.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » September 27th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Ely and Holsinger were recruited by Merfeld not Simmons.

Thanks for the correction Aces 1982 - my bad you are correct they played for both but were Merfeld recruits.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » September 27th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Complacency and the fear of the unknown = Evansville basketball

I like you UE fans, but my god, if I had the team you did last year....I would have been so pissed at my coach for scheduling the way they did.

Now, 6 months later....you accept and are okay with this extension. ISUr used to schedule like you under Tim Jankovich....our fan base hated it.

Anybody in the MVC can beat up on the SWAC or the MEAC or the USUCK and get to 20+ wins. That won't get you into the big dance though, which most would assume is your ultimate goal. Right??
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 27th, 2016, 3:33 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:That won't get you into the big dance though, which most would assume is your ultimate goal. Right??

If you mean as an at large, then I think anyone making that assumption hasn't been paying attention for a few years.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » September 27th, 2016, 4:13 pm

When you are Evansville, at large chances are what you torpedo in your big game of the season.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » September 28th, 2016, 6:49 am

havoc wrote:
uniftw wrote:
havoc wrote:
By my count, second most 1st team selections, last in second team selections (none), and 4th in combined 1st/2nd. All of UE's selections came from 3 players. Since UE's average finish over that time is 4/5th, I would think that is pretty much in line.

Care to break down UNI...or the full conference for that matter?

I'm normally game for it, but this topic isn't something I'm too deeply invested in beyond poking the UE fans.

You are a big boy, and I'm confident your UNI education has given you the ability to count that high. You can create your own fodder to feed your fetish.

I can. I will. I just figured you still had that information easily accessible... No big deal.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 28th, 2016, 7:13 am

UEACES80 wrote:BTW shouldn't Jake be on the Hot Seat for not being able to hold that lead versus Texas. Or Marshall for his Canadian meltdown - the answer is no to both and in my eyes Simmons while not anywhere as secure as those two does deserves another two years to see if he can maintain the level UE has had the last 4 seasons. (UNI you do know that if not for one freakish bounce of the ball you might have been the MVC runner up and Jake might be catching hell for having lost to LOC twice). Personally I think UE will be in the PIG this year and 2 years from now is way out but I would lean towards yes they will be in the PIG.

Jake still catches s*** for losing to Loyola twice last season and that's after getting to the NCAA tournament.

Difference is in Jake's 10 seasons to Marty? Jake is/has:
-220-117 (65.3%) overall
-114-66 (63.3) in conference play
-Never finished in the PIG game
-4 NCAA trips, and only once did the team fail to make it out of the first round (a 5 point loss to 25-9 Big 10 Champion Purdue)
-Winning record vs every MVC school (that includes Marshall's WSU Shockers
- A couple regular season titles
-4 tournament titles
-7 post season appearances (turned down an 8th, which means only two years he missed were his first two as coach)
-COY awards
-Multiple trips into the top 25
-ESPY awards
-SI covers
-Is already completely running away with most wins in UNI history
-Along with Greg Marshall is top 5 all time in conference history for total wins and conference wins as a coach
-Last season alone UNI had 2 top 5 wins.
-As an assistant from 01-06 he was the head recruiter and game planner for a team that went from a joke to making 3 NCAA trips over those 5 years.

Do you really want to start to say "Jake would be on the hot seat"? Oh, last season Jake also lead a team that had 4 starters injured and/or sick as hell for a month, weathered that horrid start and then came back to win the conference tournament title when 7 games into the season it looked like UNI was an 8th place team. The team won something like 16 out of 17 games to end the season

Care to list Marty's resume? I'll do it for you. In 10 years we've learned he can:
-find one guy to force feed to score all kinds of points
-average about a .500 conference record
-one time got close to an ncaa tournament and wasn't bounced during/before the conference semis.
-was driving force behind coining a conference wide term known as "Evansvilling"....which isn't a positive thing.
-is really good at beating SWAC teams

I realize you said Jake, in your eyes, shouldn't be on the hot seat. However, to even suggest he might be based on the TAMU game/Loyola games is just...well...par for the course for UE fans.

Odds might be 50/50 the hire is worse. The reality is that the odds are 99.9% that UE continues to be the same exact program we've seen for the last decade under Marty. The ceiling will almost never be as high as it was last season. The chances Marty every finds a DJ AND Mock at the same time is .0001%. They way he mismanaged Mock for 3 years is a prime example of why the rest of the conference thinks Marty can't coach X's and O's better than a D2 or D3 level.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 28th, 2016, 8:40 am

A NOW DELETED POST BY Ace75 BEING QUOTED
I'll put it this way for you Evansville has more history in its left nut than Northern Iowa will ever have. Wait till Jake leaves and you'll be the cellar dweller again in *edited out the vulgarity slame at Cedar Falls*

Well, Evansville has 47 seasons of D1/highest level basketball compared to 36 for UNI.

In 47 D1 seasons Evansville is 663-545 (54.9%) an average of 15.4 wins per season
In 36 D1 seasons UNI is 575-513 (53%) an average of 15.9 wins per season

In 47 D1 seasons Evansville had 5 NCAA appearances
In 36 D1 seasons UNI has 8 NCAA appearances

In 47 D1 season Evansville has 1 NCAA win
In 36 D1 seasons UNI has 5 NCAA wins

In 47 D1 seasons Evasvillle has been in the top 25 0 times
In 36 D1 seasons UNI has been in the top 25 3 times at the end of the season (and a few other times in season)

In 47 D1 seasons Evansville has won 20+ games 11 times
In 36 D1 seasons UNI has won 20+ games 11 times

You were saying? Kudos for the D2 success. Turns out, that's the only place you can find it. Feel free to go back.

Also, why did you delete your post? Because you knew a reply like this was coming? Is it because people thought UNI would fall apart when Mc$ left and it didn't happen? Likely it's blind jealousy
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball