Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Postby havoc » September 26th, 2016, 4:00 pm

uniftw wrote:
havoc wrote:In the past 5 season, UE has been the 2nd, 5th, 9th, 4th, and 3rd seed in St. Louis. It is not as though they haven't been competitive in the conference lately. Perhaps that would not be enough with the current situation at other schools, but given UE's resources, not I'm sure it is realistic to expect that much more. I know there are some with a fetish for knocking on little UE, but there are plenty of other schools that deserve it more based on recent success.

As far as the extension; who knows? Very few. If it was a three year extension with a 50% pay raise, it was a bad idea. If it was a one or two year extensio with a nominal raise and an easy release clause for UE, it was a good idea to help get through this recruiting cycle and see how next year goes. For sure no one here knows so discussing it is a futile exercise.
Over that time UE has probably (I haven't looked) had the second most All Conference members.

Is it acceptable for a program to have that kind of all conference recognition by not get a single post season bid of any kind.

By my count, second most 1st team selections, last in second team selections (none), and 4th in combined 1st/2nd. All of UE's selections came from 3 players. Since UE's average finish over that time is 4/5th, I would think that is pretty much in line.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UEACES80 » September 26th, 2016, 4:03 pm

I have a feeling Adam, Jake and Bennett DGAF about Evansville's program.

LOL - I am sure they don't!
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » September 27th, 2016, 8:01 am

uniftw wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:In the meantime please have the Koch Brothers send a blank check to the AD as I am sure he can upgrade the Head Coach and Recruiting Budget with the nearly limitless funding.

The question is, does Evansville?
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » September 27th, 2016, 8:07 am

SubGod22 wrote:
uniftw wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:In the meantime please have the Koch Brothers send a blank check to the AD as I am sure he can upgrade the Head Coach and Recruiting Budget with the nearly limitless funding.

The question is, does Evansville?

It looks like about the same as UNI's Koch brothers.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 27th, 2016, 8:08 am

havoc wrote:
By my count, second most 1st team selections, last in second team selections (none), and 4th in combined 1st/2nd. All of UE's selections came from 3 players. Since UE's average finish over that time is 4/5th, I would think that is pretty much in line.

Care to break down UNI...or the full conference for that matter?

I'm normally game for it, but this topic isn't something I'm too deeply invested in beyond poking the UE fans.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 27th, 2016, 8:57 am

The levels of "don't get it and proud of it" from the Evansville fans is just astounding.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » September 27th, 2016, 11:18 am

Cdizzle wrote:The levels of "don't get it and proud of it" from the Evansville fans is just astounding.

What's astounding is the joke of a board this has become.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » September 27th, 2016, 11:50 am

Ace75 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:The levels of "don't get it and proud of it" from the Evansville fans is just astounding.

That's also true. But it's to be expected when portions of its membership think Year 11 of Marty Simmons is the solution to anything.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 27th, 2016, 1:18 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Ace75 wrote:

That's also true. But it's to be expected when portions of its membership think Year 11 of Marty Simmons is the solution to anything.

And that Marty is still "building his program".

The fear of the potential negative being crippling is what holds programs back.

We are okay with .500 because it might be worse moving forward. Same odds as turning out better as worse.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » September 27th, 2016, 2:07 pm

UE last four years

21-15 2012-13
14-19 2013-14
24-12 2014-15
25-9 2015-16

That's why the next two years are important and if they regress sharply / the time for a change should be upon him as he will have proven his likely ceiling was already achieved and he doesn't have anymore recruiting gems. To can him after 3 20 win seasons in the last 4 years would be rather odd.

I am of the thought that after two years if UE is in PIG games both years the time has definitely come to move on and take the risk of potentially being dreadful and nearly certainly looking at a 3 year rebuild due to a new coach recruiting and the likely transfers related to a coaching change.

The other side though is who knew how good Holsinger / Ely / Ryan / Ballatine could be - well one coach saw something in them so let's see if he found any more gems before throwing him out the door.

BTW shouldn't Jake be on the Hot Seat for not being able to hold that lead versus Texas A&M. Or Marshall for his Canadian meltdown - the answer is no to both and in my eyes Simmons while not anywhere as secure as those two does deserves another two years to see if he can maintain the level UE has had the last 4 seasons. (UNI you do know that if not for one freakish bounce of the ball you might have been the MVC runner up and Jake might be catching hell for having lost to LOC twice). Personally I think UE will be in the PIG this year and 2 years from now is way out but I would lean towards yes they will be in the PIG.

You know odds are no better than 50/50 that UE hires a better coach. For every Shaka Smart or Bruce Weber looking for that a first time gig there are 5 Steve Merfelds. Scott Thompson (WSU) or Sam Weaver (UNI).
Last edited by UEACES80 on September 28th, 2016, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball