MVC/MWC Challenge Improvement

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC/MWC Challenge Improvement

Postby SubGod22 » October 18th, 2016, 1:57 pm

LanceShock wrote:Actually, it was worse than that. According to rpiforecast, these were the nonconference SOS for last year:
WSU 13
UNI 38
Evansville 223
IlSU 10
SIU 327
InSU 92
MSU 261
Loyola 319
Bradley 306
Drake 289

Only 4 schools had a nonconference SOS below 200, let alone 150. Going to 250 only gets you to 5 schools.

That's horrible. And it shows how much the bottom drags down the top.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » October 18th, 2016, 2:00 pm

havoc wrote:
uniftw wrote:
If Evansville can ever manage to finish in the top 3 or 4 with any consistency eventually you won't find it funny either.

3 out of the last 5, with a 4th at 5th. Only two schools have more. You are confusing Evansville with Bradley.

And yet, Bradley has been to the tournament more recently, and I would put my money on them to make it there again before Evansville does.

Also, that sounds decent. Sounds less good when you call it 46-44. Especially against what this league has become.

This only illustrates the point more. Peaks and valleys where the peaks include competing for or winning championships and/or NCAA/NIT bids is better than sustained and accepted mediocrity. It also gives a generous pass for 4 other years on Simmons' ledger.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » October 18th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Getting back to the point of this thread...
If my information is correct, here is the list of this year's brain dead and mostly unchallenging matchups as illustrated by the preseason picked order of finish for each team, (I'll also put the presumed winner in bold ):

Loyola (7) vs. San Diego St. (1)
InSt. (5) @ Utah St. (6)
UNI (3) @ Wyo. (10)
UE (9) vs. Boise St. (5)
MSU (4) @ Air Force (9)
WSU (1) @ Co. St. (7)
BU (8) vs. Nevada (2)
IlSt (2) vs. New Mexico (3)
Drake (10) vs. Fresno St. (4)
SIU (6) @ UNLV (8)

Now just look at this BS. It is almost totally lacking in essentially equivalent match ups, my main gripe, and also, IMO, stacked against the MVC. Their are only 3 roughly equivalent (in terms of best to worst in each league) match ups, and 2 of them have the MVC team on the road. Other than Ill. St. everyone else in the MVC got a disadvantageous match up either in terms of an all but certain loss or an all but certain win of little RPI value. Certainly there are also some all but certain wins for the MWC top teams that are of lesser RPI value (again IlSt vs NM being the exception) but winning against a low RPI team on the road is better than doing so at home. All 5 of the top MWC teams play on the road but only NM goes against an equivalent match, the rest are practically gimmes, while the MVC's #5 and 6 teams play essential equivalents on the road, giving the advantage to the MWC.

Once again, the MWC will likely "win" the challenge because the match ups are not done based on at least rough equivalencies, and not because they are the superior conference. IMO, the MVC has let itself get hosed by the overall match up scenarios every year. Making it yet again, the "MVC/MWC Unchallenge", Un-interesting and Un-successful.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » October 19th, 2016, 9:07 am

Putting SDSU against Loyola is the biggest problem. They both have significant track records of finishing on opposite ends of the league standings. Whomever made these matchups is some kinda idiot. I realize that it isn't always going to match up 1-1, 2-2, 3-3. But this is just deliberately stupid. You'd have better odds of getting good match-ups throwing darts.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball