Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Preseason Bradley dunk contest

Postby Valleyball » October 23rd, 2016, 5:53 pm

At the Bradley Red-White scrimmage

1st
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL6wCEMDmwG/

2nd
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL6wgEBDy2G/

I know it won't interest most other Valley teams. But it is kind of nice to see basketball season getting close.
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Preseason Bradley dunk contest

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Preseason Bradley dunk contest

Postby Wufan » October 23rd, 2016, 6:13 pm

Who were the dunkers and the guy that the second one jumped over?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Valleyball » October 23rd, 2016, 6:18 pm

The winner was Antoine Pittman. Who is a Sophomore that played last year.

On the second place dunk. 6'5" Freshman Jerome Merritt is dunking over 6' 10" Freshman Koch Bar.

http://www.bubraves.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9188

http://www.bubraves.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9178
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » October 24th, 2016, 8:16 am

Here is the recap of the Bradley Red/White scrimmage from PJ Star writer Dave Reynolds.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20161023/r ... -scrimmage

So far about what to be expected. Bradley will be better. Not sure how much. The three guys who were the best players at the end of the season were good yesterday (DLO, Antoine Pittman and Luuk van Bree). The 6-10 freshman center Koch Bar has a chance to be a good player in time.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bcg » October 24th, 2016, 8:22 am

Both squads looked like real teams again compared to the past few red/white scrimmages. Bradley is still a year away, but things are coming together.

I wish Luuk would shoot the three more. At his height and form, he's a weapon.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BuBrave2006 » October 24th, 2016, 9:35 am

bcg wrote:I wish Luuk would shoot the three more. At his height and form, he's a weapon.

He will this season...a lot
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby chitown fanatic » October 24th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Lets just get out of the Abyss....that is this years goal.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » October 24th, 2016, 2:44 pm

I really like the way the Bradley team is put together post implosion. Too many freshman and sophomores to be competitive with the top half of the Valley consistently, but these guys will be upperclassmen next year. The roster reminds me a lot of the 2002-03 Shockers under third year coach Mark Turgeon. Good, under the radar freshmen (Randy Burns, Rob Kampman, Paul Miller) were brought to WSU in 01-02 and they started a slow progression to respectability. One major difference between the two programs was Turgeon's willingness and ability to recruit JUCO and transfer talent accelerated the improvement. Either way, I like where they are going.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » October 25th, 2016, 6:36 am

Wufan wrote:I really like the way the Bradley team is put together post implosion. Too many freshman and sophomores to be competitive with the top half of the Valley consistently, but these guys will be upperclassmen next year. The roster reminds me a lot of the 2002-03 Shockers under third year coach Mark Turgeon. Good, under the radar freshmen (Randy Burns, Rob Kampman, Paul Miller) were brought to WSU in 01-02 and they started a slow progression to respectability. One major difference between the two programs was Turgeon's willingness and ability to recruit JUCO and transfer talent accelerated the improvement. Either way, I like where they are going.

Wardle doesn't want to rely on JUCO's to build success. Plan is to establish freshman, do it "the right way" and then add JUCO's to fill in specific roles once we are in a position to compete, as opposed to relying on them to build up the program.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » October 25th, 2016, 8:41 am

Wufan wrote:I really like the way the Bradley team is put together post implosion. Too many freshman and sophomores to be competitive with the top half of the Valley consistently, but these guys will be upperclassmen next year. The roster reminds me a lot of the 2002-03 Shockers under third year coach Mark Turgeon. Good, under the radar freshmen (Randy Burns, Rob Kampman, Paul Miller) were brought to WSU in 01-02 and they started a slow progression to respectability. One major difference between the two programs was Turgeon's willingness and ability to recruit JUCO and transfer talent accelerated the improvement. Either way, I like where they are going.

I don't mean to make this an academic thing, but for some stupid reason Bradley won't accept any PE/Kinesiology, etc. type courses from a JUCO. I hate it--big time. But it limits the JUCO talent available.

I'm not as opposed to JUCO's as Wardle--but he is changing the culture and talent level. That's where you have to start.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball