Two More ISU Players Arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Two More ISU Players Arrested

Postby Cdizzle » October 28th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Old School MVC wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:We all agree that the right thing to do is boot all three of them,

I'm not sure I agree with this.

There are things that can be done to hold people accountable without necessarily kicking them off the team.

So which one would you rather have as a teammate?

-Someone who drives drunk putting those in his car, himself and anyone else on the road that night lives in jeopardy
or
-a thief that you can not trust to leave anything out in the locker room that has any value because it may be gone when you get back

I wouldn't want either. But then, I'd know better than to attend ISUr.

I think harsh penalties are deserved. I don't know enough to know if something as serious as kicking someone off the team is warranted.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 28th, 2016, 2:05 pm

First of all, it doesn't matter what fan base a poster is from in this manner (towards Red). These boys were in the wrong and should be punished. That's up to Muller and the administration....

The bigger problem is he has to stop recruiting questionable character athletes. Until he recruits and gets more players who are like he was (good on and off the court), then this will continue to happen.
I will continue to cheer for my team, but these incidents continue to hurt our image across the conference.

Now....
CDizzle - what does "I'd know better than to attend ISUr" have to do with anything? The school in and of itself is a much better educational institution that WSU is and there are tons of rankings to prove that. You can't judge an ENTIRE university based on the actions of a select few.

That's just arrogant to make a statement like that.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 28th, 2016, 2:11 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:First of all, it doesn't matter what fan base a poster is from in this manner (towards Red). These boys were in the wrong and should be punished. That's up to Muller and the administration....

The bigger problem is he has to stop recruiting questionable character athletes. Until he recruits and gets more players who are like he was (good on and off the court), then this will continue to happen.
I will continue to cheer for my team, but these incidents continue to hurt our image across the conference.

Now....
CDizzle - what does "I'd know better than to attend ISUr" have to do with anything? The school in and of itself is a much better educational institution that WSU is and there are tons of rankings to prove that. You can't judge an ENTIRE university based on the actions of a select few.

That's just arrogant to make a statement like that.

The question was with regard to being a D1 basketball teammate. I'd want nothing to do with what's going on at ISUr right now. My response had nothing to do with comparing the academics to WSU, or anything else to specifically WSU for that matter. You inferred that. As you said, the character of way too many of the guys Muller has brought in has been questionable.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 28th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Oh very good, just a misunderstanding of words. I thought that was a general bashing of the entire university and not specific to the basketball program.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how this transpires. If the past is any predictor, then the suspensions/punishments will be small.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 28th, 2016, 3:49 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Oh very good, just a misunderstanding of words. I thought that was a general bashing of the entire university and not specific to the basketball program.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how this transpires. If the past is any predictor, then the suspensions/punishments will be small.

Yeah. No worries. I tend to not get into the academic bullshit that some people seem to think is important to as fans of an ATHLETIC league. And it's not like there are any Stanford's in the league. It's a giant waste of breath.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 30th, 2016, 1:54 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Oh very good, just a misunderstanding of words. I thought that was a general bashing of the entire university and not specific to the basketball program.

The problem is, Illinois State has set a precedent for major infractions and doing nothing about it for other sports as well. I can't speak about the university as a whole, as I'd assume that's not the case.

The football program is notorious all around the nation at the FCS level for taking players who were given three or four strikes are previous universities for violence and drugs before being booted. Illinois State brings them in and gives them four more strikes before actually doing anything.

As I already pointed out, Marshaun Coprich was arrested AND PLEAD GUILTY to FELONY DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL DRUGS. He was suspended for 11 total days - during a non contact portion of the offseason and was reinstated within 2 hours of pleading guilty.

ISU fans all over websites like AnyGivenSaturday blamed it on racist cops only arresting him because he is black. They said it was because of how corrupt the student athlete set up is and he couldn't afford to feed his family so he was trying to make a couple bucks to buy groceries (yes, that was a real excuse). He was forced to plead guilty by his attorney because had he gone to trial the racist court system would have thrown him in jail for a felony (the horror of locking up a felon). Again, he was suspended for 11 days, in May. That means no contact with coaches, no football facility access, no nothing, for 11 days after being arrested on felony drug charges. BUT DURING THOSE 11 DAYS he wasn't allowed to do any of that anyway by NCAA rules.

The number of FBS transfers they've taken that were kicked off previous teams for drugs and assault charges is simply passed off as "kids being kids" and then when the same pattern of behavior continues in Normal they say "Kids being kids".

Yet they all freely admit if it was a 5th string offensive lineman that did it he would have been kicked off the team and they would have wanted him kicked off the team. However, since Coprich was an All American there was no reason to punish him.

That same pattern is continuing with the basketball program. I can't speak to the other programs in Normal but it's clearly a pattern in the two major sports.

Since someone else will throw UNI's issue back at me. We've already covered the basketball issues.

Football - An OL got arrested on OWI and drug paraphernalia in the spring of that way. Suspended three games that fall. Had another incident and was booted off the team.

2008 the two top WRs of the #1 team in the nation were arrested on drug charges (not even felony drug charges mind you). They were both instantly booted off the team. This was going into the final regular season game of the year and into the playoffs where they were the #1 seed. Yup, booted the two top players on the team off at that point. That'd be like booting the top two basketball players off the team going into the final weekend of the regular season in basketball. Not only that, ALL charges were dropped against one of them within 48 hours. He was 3.25+ GPA student, never had any issues, and was arrested simply for being in the house at the time the raid happened. He asked to be reinstated and was told no because that isn't the standard of conduct at UNI.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » October 30th, 2016, 2:29 pm

I heard that the Normal Police Department has placed a booking desk in the Athletic Department.

I am not sure it is true though.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 11th, 2016, 7:29 pm

I think I read that Deontae Hawkins learned his lesson this time and was reinstated for their first game tonight. :)
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » November 11th, 2016, 7:49 pm

mvcfan wrote:I think I read that Deontae Hawkins learned his lesson this time and was reinstated for their first game tonight. :)

And started. Why follow any rules or laws in that program?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » November 11th, 2016, 11:14 pm

Muller starts him and still loses. That was karma-riffic.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball