Two More ISU Players Arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Two More ISU Players Arrested

Postby uniftw » October 27th, 2016, 11:42 am

wgslaw wrote: Can you remember what it was like being 20 years old and brain dead and bullet proof.

I can remember being 20. I can remember doing a lot of things that were dumb.

I can't remember ever going "Hey, stealing s*** sounds like a good idea"
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Old School MVC » October 27th, 2016, 12:03 pm

LanceShock wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:LOL!

Side question - didn't Frankamp get a DUI recently? Was he suspended?

Also, they stole the iPhone a month ago....why activate it now? So dumb.

If by recently, you mean in the last 2 years. His DUI was in January 2015 and it cost him a scholarship for a year. It didn't cost him any games because he was already sitting out as a transfer.

I am glad to see Marshall had the balls enough to at least pull his scholarship. The year suspension means nothing if you are already sitting out the year. So many coaches suspend kids in the off season, as if the kids care. If I recall Reggie Lynch, another fine ex ISUr player, was suspended last year for sexual assault during his transfer year to Minnesota only to be reinstated once it was time for him to play this year. My guess is that Muller suspends all three of these guys for their exhibition game plus a couple meaningless non conference games only to be back for their last few games before conference starts up.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » October 27th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Old School MVC wrote:
LanceShock wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:LOL!

Side question - didn't Frankamp get a DUI recently? Was he suspended?

Also, they stole the iPhone a month ago....why activate it now? So dumb.

If by recently, you mean in the last 2 years. His DUI was in January 2015 and it cost him a scholarship for a year. It didn't cost him any games because he was already sitting out as a transfer.

I am glad to see Marshall had the balls enough to at least pull his scholarship. The year suspension means nothing if you are already sitting out the year. So many coaches suspend kids in the off season, as if the kids care. If I recall Reggie Lynch, another fine ex ISUr player, was suspended last year for sexual assault during his transfer year to Minnesota only to be reinstated once it was time for him to play this year. My guess is that Muller suspends all three of these guys for their exhibition game plus a couple meaningless non conference games only to be back for their last few games before conference starts up.
Illinois State is the school that had a star football player get busted on felony drug dealing and suspened the next day only to plead guilty to felony drug dealing 11 days later and have his suspenion lifted within 2 hours of pleading guilting to felony drug dealing....

This was all during the off season. Didn't miss a practice, game, weight session, nothing.

11 day suspension during no-contact allowed period for felony drug dealing.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » October 27th, 2016, 2:04 pm

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Also, they stole the iPhone a month ago....why activate it now? So dumb.

So it's okay that they stole it but it's the owners fault for taking two months to find it?

Might want to climb off the horse with both the phone stealing and the DUI. UNI has had both occur in the not so distant past. All cases resulted in in-season suspensions-not scholarship revocation or banishment.

ISU does not have a great track record of imposing stiff (or any) discipline, so we will see what goes down with this.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 27th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Also, they stole the iPhone a month ago....why activate it now? So dumb.

So it's okay that they stole it but it's the owners fault for taking two months to find it?

Might want to climb off the horse with both the phone stealing and the DUI. UNI has had both occur in the not so distant past. All cases resulted in in-season suspensions-not scholarship revocation or banishment.

ISU does not have a great track record of imposing stiff (or any) discipline, so we will see what goes down with this.

1. Austin Arias arrested before he got to campus - not even a UNI student yet - suspended for in season
2. Klint Carlson - DUI in the middle of the summer - suspended for regular season games (including the UNC game)

Then you can go back 6+ years to find the last one.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » October 27th, 2016, 9:05 pm

uniftw wrote:
wgslaw wrote: Can you remember what it was like being 20 years old and brain dead and bullet proof.

:+1:

I realize fans are homers but you can't justify that kind of stupidity. The reason it keeps happening at Illinois State is because Muller continues to put basketball over character. And the way he does his "disciplining", it's no wonder the same thing happens time and time again.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » October 28th, 2016, 7:47 am

specialsauce wrote:
uniftw wrote:

I realize fans are homers but you can't justify that kind of stupidity. The reason it keeps happening at Illinois State is because Muller continues to put basketball over character. And the way he does his "disciplining", it's no wonder the same thing happens time and time again.

:Stupid: So what part of Wichita are you from?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » October 28th, 2016, 8:22 am

Just two coaches approach but the Bear's football team and WBB have had recent instances. The LB's had a player who otherwise is the epitome of solid student athlete[ no previous issues, good student, GPA etc] get a DUI about a month ago. She has been suspended for the year; not sure on the scholy but no team basketball activities. What I liked was in talking to CKH it was more about the player having the time to refocus on herself and her get any needed help than just punishment. Yes there were consequences and yes the player has to meet some behavioral goals to be reinstated, but it seems like the players well-being was the focus. These are young adults who more often than not need some counseling and help not just immediate banishment or token slaps. A well rounded approach including targeted help should always be part of the equation.

Also the starting QB for the Bears was suspended for the year following a charge of animal cruelty. Also has behavioral goals to meet to be reinstated for the 2017-2018 season. I liked that both instances had quick standards imposed with both consequences/responsibility but chances for reinstatement.

Two very different circumstances and two different programs and coaches, but in both instances I thought appropriate responses.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » October 28th, 2016, 10:46 am

Over Thanksgiving break 2004, 3 UE players were arrested for stealing electronics from dorm rooms and were dismissed from school. The player identified as the "brains" of the theft was a very talented guard with a questionable background and dragged 2 other players down that road. The results ended up erasing any progress Merfield had started with the program and probably a tightening of standards for future recruits. As you are all aware, UE still hasn't recovered. Hopefully the Redbirds won't face the same future.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » October 28th, 2016, 11:11 am

Red wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
uniftw wrote:I can remember being 20. I can remember doing a lot of things that were dumb.

:Stupid: So what part of Wichita are you from?

1. It's possible this poster is from Wichita. Or a WSU fan. But you don't know.
2. Even IF that is the case, that fact would make nothing in his/her post incorrect on it's own. The facts are what they are.

I don't think anyone is saying these players need their lives ruined over these issues. But from the outside it isn't difficult to see the numerous events in a rather short time period under one administration, with relatively light consequences. Muller's in a tough spot because his previous disciplinary actions have been weak. He needs the ability to make an example of someone to demonstrate he's in control, but he isn't being given that opportunity in a way that wouldn't significantly hurt ISU's chance to win games. It will be interesting to see what happens this time.

It is really sad that this sort of thing has a group of people defending driving drunk and stealing other people's property as "silly college kid" behavior. When it happens every once in a while at a program, it's a little bit of a black eye and the program/fans usually get ridiculed for a couple of days. Then everybody moves on. When it happens multiple times every year, it tends to not really go away. And when said fans have run around claiming their coach runs the tightest of ships but then decide to make little of DUIs and stolen property, you probably just have to sit back and take what's coming.

UNI is a great example. There have been a small number of really boneheaded things done by their student athletes over the past 10 years. By and large, those athletes were given REAL disciplinary actions. Actions that occurred even if it meant lessening UNIs chances to win. So when something happens there again, we'll see "well wasn't that stupid" for a couple days and then everyone will move on.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball