Two More ISU Players Arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Two More ISU Players Arrested

Postby Cdizzle » October 28th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Old School MVC wrote:We all agree that the right thing to do is boot all three of them,

I'm not sure I agree with this.

There are things that can be done to hold people accountable without necessarily kicking them off the team.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby specialsauce » October 28th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Cdizzle wrote:1. It's possible this poster is from Wichita. Or a WSU fan. But you don't know.
2. Even IF that is the case, that fact would make nothing in his/her post incorrect on it's own. The facts are what they are.

I don't think anyone is saying these players need their lives ruined over these issues. But from the outside it isn't difficult to see the numerous events in a rather short time period under one administration, with relatively light consequences. Muller's in a tough spot because his previous disciplinary actions have been weak. He needs the ability to make an example of someone to demonstrate he's in control, but he isn't being given that opportunity in a way that wouldn't significantly hurt ISU's chance to win games. It will be interesting to see what happens this time.

It is really sad that this sort of thing has a group of people defending driving drunk and stealing other people's property as "silly college kid" behavior. When it happens every once in a while at a program, it's a little bit of a black eye and the program/fans usually get ridiculed for a couple of days. Then everybody moves on. When it happens multiple times every year, it tends to not really go away. And when said fans have run around claiming their coach runs the tightest of ships but then decide to make little of DUIs and stolen property, you probably just have to sit back and take what's coming.

UNI is a great example. There have been a small number of really boneheaded things done by their student athletes over the past 10 years. By and large, those athletes were given REAL disciplinary actions. Actions that occurred even if it meant lessening UNIs chances to win. So when something happens there again, we'll see "well wasn't that stupid" for a couple days and then everyone will move on.

I think the most disturbing aspect of all of this is the Redbird fan reaction on their message board. We all know Muller's stance with all of the shenanigans that happen annually in Normal so that won't be surprising. But I'm a little appalled by a lot of Redbird fans laughing these offenses off as nothing or think an exhibition game suspension is satisfactory. I don't know if it's the redundancy of the issues or the desperateness to field a relevant basketball team that's generating that type of response. Either way, it's sad.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mule » October 28th, 2016, 12:47 pm

I would think the onus of punishment should fall to the school administration and/or the AD. The coach is a part of the solution and would be following the direction of his superiors. In the end, however, it will be his butt that is on the line.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Old School MVC » October 28th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:We all agree that the right thing to do is boot all three of them,

There are things that can be done to hold people accountable without necessarily kicking them off the team.

So which one would you rather have as a teammate?

-Someone who drives drunk putting those in his car, himself and anyone else on the road that night lives in jeopardy
or
-a thief that you can not trust to leave anything out in the locker room that has any value because it may be gone when you get back
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UEACES80 » October 28th, 2016, 1:39 pm

mule wrote:I would think the onus of punishment should fall to the school administration and/or the AD. The coach is a part of the solution and would be following the direction of his superiors. In the end, however, it will be his butt that is on the line.

Well said Mule - Dupree Fletcher was a high level recruit (Nelson and Butler were the other two) for Merfeld and yes the school Admin decided it was bigger than the Athletic Dept. though I am not certain if the Athletic Dept disagreed with the decision.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Stickboy46 » October 28th, 2016, 1:46 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:1. It's possible this poster is from Wichita. Or a WSU fan. But you don't know.
2. Even IF that is the case, that fact would make nothing in his/her post incorrect on it's own. The facts are what they are.

I don't think anyone is saying these players need their lives ruined over these issues. But from the outside it isn't difficult to see the numerous events in a rather short time period under one administration, with relatively light consequences. Muller's in a tough spot because his previous disciplinary actions have been weak. He needs the ability to make an example of someone to demonstrate he's in control, but he isn't being given that opportunity in a way that wouldn't significantly hurt ISU's chance to win games. It will be interesting to see what happens this time.

It is really sad that this sort of thing has a group of people defending driving drunk and stealing other people's property as "silly college kid" behavior. When it happens every once in a while at a program, it's a little bit of a black eye and the program/fans usually get ridiculed for a couple of days. Then everybody moves on. When it happens multiple times every year, it tends to not really go away. And when said fans have run around claiming their coach runs the tightest of ships but then decide to make little of DUIs and stolen property, you probably just have to sit back and take what's coming.

UNI is a great example. There have been a small number of really boneheaded things done by their student athletes over the past 10 years. By and large, those athletes were given REAL disciplinary actions. Actions that occurred even if it meant lessening UNIs chances to win. So when something happens there again, we'll see "well wasn't that stupid" for a couple days and then everyone will move on.

I think the most disturbing aspect of all of this is the Redbird fan reaction on their message board. We all know Muller's stance with all of the shenanigans that happen annually in Normal so that won't be surprising. But I'm a little appalled by a lot of Redbird fans laughing these offenses off as nothing or think an exhibition game suspension is satisfactory. I don't know if it's the redundancy of the issues or the desperateness to field a relevant basketball team that's generating that type of response. Either way, it's sad.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. People suggesting that a DUI (after multiple other offenses, and at least one prior suspension) or theft should result in only missing an exhibition game is pathetic.

IMO at minimum they should lose their scholarship. Part of that scholarship is because you are a face to the university and represent them. They didn't hold up their end. Hawkins should be off the team just because of the multiple offenses. The other two should probably be booted too. That's an integrity issue and is a worse character item than the DUI. The DUI has a far greater potential impact, but I doubt anyone goes into that situation with the intent to harm someone. Its a lapse in judgement with very dire possible consequences. The theft charge obviously isn't as large of consequences, but when they committed it they were fully aware it would cause harm to someone else and still did it. That's a problem.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » October 28th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Old School MVC wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

So which one would you rather have as a teammate?

-Someone who drives drunk putting those in his car, himself and anyone else on the road that night lives in jeopardy
or
-a thief that you can not trust to leave anything out in the locker room that has any value because it may be gone when you get back

I wouldn't want either. But then, I'd know better than to attend ISUr.

I think harsh penalties are deserved. I don't know enough to know if something as serious as kicking someone off the team is warranted.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 28th, 2016, 2:05 pm

First of all, it doesn't matter what fan base a poster is from in this manner (towards Red). These boys were in the wrong and should be punished. That's up to Muller and the administration....

The bigger problem is he has to stop recruiting questionable character athletes. Until he recruits and gets more players who are like he was (good on and off the court), then this will continue to happen.
I will continue to cheer for my team, but these incidents continue to hurt our image across the conference.

Now....
CDizzle - what does "I'd know better than to attend ISUr" have to do with anything? The school in and of itself is a much better educational institution that WSU is and there are tons of rankings to prove that. You can't judge an ENTIRE university based on the actions of a select few.

That's just arrogant to make a statement like that.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 28th, 2016, 2:11 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:First of all, it doesn't matter what fan base a poster is from in this manner (towards Red). These boys were in the wrong and should be punished. That's up to Muller and the administration....

The bigger problem is he has to stop recruiting questionable character athletes. Until he recruits and gets more players who are like he was (good on and off the court), then this will continue to happen.
I will continue to cheer for my team, but these incidents continue to hurt our image across the conference.

Now....
CDizzle - what does "I'd know better than to attend ISUr" have to do with anything? The school in and of itself is a much better educational institution that WSU is and there are tons of rankings to prove that. You can't judge an ENTIRE university based on the actions of a select few.

That's just arrogant to make a statement like that.

The question was with regard to being a D1 basketball teammate. I'd want nothing to do with what's going on at ISUr right now. My response had nothing to do with comparing the academics to WSU, or anything else to specifically WSU for that matter. You inferred that. As you said, the character of way too many of the guys Muller has brought in has been questionable.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 28th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Oh very good, just a misunderstanding of words. I thought that was a general bashing of the entire university and not specific to the basketball program.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how this transpires. If the past is any predictor, then the suspensions/punishments will be small.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball