Valley Exhibition Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Exhibition Games

Postby Wufan » October 30th, 2016, 6:52 pm

uniftw wrote:
Wufan wrote:If I was a Panther fan (and I am in the non-con and post season), I'd be optimistic about the program in the future. They will good this year, but I certainly haven't seen enough to know how good.

As I said in the "third place" poll thread. The talent at UNI for the freshman (RS and true) class is higher than it's ever been as a group, and I'm not sure it's close.

You mentioned McCloud, Halderman, Rhodes, Ashton, Brown and Lohaus.

McCloud is going to be really, really, good. He's athletically where Washpun was last year at 18 years old. Once he gets a feel for the game it's going to be nuts to see a PG with that skill set in a UNI uniform. He threw a no look, thread the needle, pass in the lane to Haldeman for a lay up in the second half and I'm not sure I've ever seen a Panther throw a pass like that.

Haldeman is the new Matty Bo who was the new Marc Sonnen who was the new Johnny Moran. He's not going to dazzle anyone athletically. He's mostly unremarkable. However, he shoots and he shoots well. He knows what he can and can't do. He is an ideal "Jake system" guy.

Rhose - see Haldeman. He won't break anyone ankles. He'll likely lead very few fast breaks. Likely won't fill a stat sheet. He brings intelligence and poise being a junior and having won a JUCO national title. He's nearly the exact opposite of McCloud in style of play but looks like a solid back up for two years.

Ashton starting was a shock to nearly everyone outside of the program. Him looking as good as he did was a shock to everyone as well I think. He should add a nice "calmness" on the court. Grad transfer that played for a S16 team last season. May have a big game here or there but should be a decent role guy. He and Wyatt are likely very similar players and depending on match ups the starter/rotation could change. Both are just going to do what's asked.

Brown is going to be Jeremy Morgan but *potentially better. If he has J-Mo's work ethic he will win DPOY. I think a RS would be great but you don't get a kid from Texas and redshirt him his first winter in Cedar Falls....

Dahl is a big, big man. He's lost a ton of "baby fat" and looks like a post player now. He's got a ways to go but I see him being better than Eglseder was simply beacuse he has better control of his body and none of the leg/feet issues Jordan did as a kid, thus he'll move better. He's raw and will need a year or two to still develop. It helps that Koch is only a JR this year.

I feel much better about the team than I did before the game. I know it's a D2 exhibition, but to see freshman play like they did was nice. Growing pains will still happen. Lay ups will be missed. TOs will happen. Unexplainable losses will happen. On the flip side of that, Morgan and Ashton are the only two seniors this year. We are set up pretty nicely for a few years.

Lots of hyperbole here. I saw a lot of what you saw, but I didn't see anything that made me think McCloud was as athletic as Washpun or that Brown was going to be better than Morgan, or that Dahl was going to be better than Egleseder. They were good, but they were young. Some will develop, and some won't. Enjoy the ride!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rollbird5 » October 30th, 2016, 8:41 pm

shockalot wrote:Speaking of closed scrimmages, it sounds like WSU had a fairly easy time over Oral Roberts yesterday. Report is Shamet, Smith, and WIllis stood out for WSU.

So Jeff Goodman said "Told Wichita State won the controlled session of scrimmage, Oral Roberts won 40-minute game, 70-67."

Anyone know the difference between the controlled and uncontrolled part? no refs or what? lol
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 30th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
shockalot wrote:Speaking of closed scrimmages, it sounds like WSU had a fairly easy time over Oral Roberts yesterday. Report is Shamet, Smith, and WIllis stood out for WSU.

So Jeff Goodman said "Told Wichita State won the controlled session of scrimmage, Oral Roberts won 40-minute game, 70-67."

Anyone know the difference between the controlled and uncontrolled part? no refs or what? lol

Not sure what that means. First quote was that they won handily. Second quote was as above. Doug Gottlie had a quote too about the Shockers being down 16 in the first half.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » October 30th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Wufan wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:

Not sure what that means. First quote was that they won handily. Second quote was as above. Doug Gottlie had a quote too about the Shockers being down 16 in the first half.

I think they use refs for the whole thing. The controlled part is a lot like scripted scrimmages in football: set up specific situations to run plays, practice in-bounds from different spots, work on different defenses or play certain combinations without having to worry about foul situations that may arise in an exhibition.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » October 31st, 2016, 7:32 am

I don't know when it is, but UNI has a closed scrimmage against Wisconsin still before the season starts.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » October 31st, 2016, 12:09 pm

Evansville played a closed scrimmage against SLU. Rumored UE pulled out a narrow victory

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » October 31st, 2016, 6:40 pm

Drake played a "secret scrimmage" with Western Illinois...Bulldogs won 74-59. Timmer and Wampler both with 20+ points for Drake.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blers » November 1st, 2016, 7:57 am

Loyola held an open scrimmage among the team (Maroon vs. Gold); lots of impressions on the Ramblers board (starting 5 post). Also closed scrimmaged with Northwestern and will be with Chicago State. But i have no word of how NU went; not on their board either.

*EDIT* Northwestern won the scrimmage by 6, Andrew Jackson and Clayton Custer led the team with 10 pts each. Richardson was also apparently impressive per The Catch and Shoot.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » November 1st, 2016, 6:51 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I don't know when it is, but UNI has a closed scrimmage against Wisconsin still before the season starts.

I think Saturday?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » November 3rd, 2016, 6:03 pm

halftime Sycamores 52, (D2) Rose Hulman 11

Sycamores causing havoc on defense, along with missed shots by rose hulman, sycamores with 24 points in the paint, and Sycamores leading 28 to 13 rebounds.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball