Valley Exhibition Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Exhibition Games

Postby glm38 » November 6th, 2016, 8:34 am

Encouraging exhibition for the Bears last night. Beat Missouri Baptist 93 - 72.

Newcomers looked good. Especially 6'9" Alize Johnson. This kid can really play. He's the most skilled big man I can remember in a bears uniform. He had 26 points and 11 boards. Can hit the three, handle the ball, and is a good rebounder. Plays with intensity on both ends. Rhodes is a 6' 6" forward with three point range. He had 11. Ronnie Rousseau is our new PG. He looked tentative early but seemed to find his confidence late. I think he'll be fine.

Returning players: Ruder is back and he looked good. Hit several shots and looked healthy and confident. Dixon looked great. Hit several jumpers which was the weak part of his game last year. Obi looks bigger and stronger. He and Alize together are really going to be difficult match up for the opposition inside with their size and athleticism. Kreklow played ok.

Downside: Our defense wasn't that good. Intensity was good but too many missed switches and too many open looks for the opposition. MO Baptist was over matched but they had some shooters. Kendrix and Jordan did not play due to "a violation of team rules". Hopefully not too serious. We need Chris.

Overall a very encouraging start.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » November 6th, 2016, 8:54 am

Aargh wrote:
Wufan wrote:The JUCOs and true freshman looked like it was their first time in front of 10000.

What good is a message board if we all agree on everything?

I disagree with this statement when it comes to Austin Reaves. The 6'5" Fr PG is a legitimate PG and I thought he looked incredibly comfortable and surprisingly polished for a Fr in his first game coming out of a small high school.

One knowledgeable WSU fan (yes, there is one) referred to Reaves as having VanVleet-type basketball smarts. I think that's accurate.

Daishon Smith may be the quickest guard many of us will ever see at doing two things:

1) Getting to the hoop from the 3-point line
2) Getting pulled for a "coachable moment"

That last one is a joke - well, sort of.

The newcomers did some good and some bad, no doubt. I am high on AR, but I saw nothing last night that lead me to believe he would play more than 10-15 mpg this year (many other WSU fans disagree with this assessment). He has a very high ceiling.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 6th, 2016, 9:32 am

Wufan wrote:
Aargh wrote:
Wufan wrote:The JUCOs and true freshman looked like it was their first time in front of 10000.

What good is a message board if we all agree on everything?

I disagree with this statement when it comes to Austin Reaves. The 6'5" Fr PG is a legitimate PG and I thought he looked incredibly comfortable and surprisingly polished for a Fr in his first game coming out of a small high school.

One knowledgeable WSU fan (yes, there is one) referred to Reaves as having VanVleet-type basketball smarts. I think that's accurate.

Daishon Smith may be the quickest guard many of us will ever see at doing two things:

1) Getting to the hoop from the 3-point line
2) Getting pulled for a "coachable moment"

That last one is a joke - well, sort of.

The newcomers did some good and some bad, no doubt. I am high on AR, but I saw nothing last night that lead me to believe he would play more than 10-15 mpg this year (many other WSU fans disagree with this assessment). He has a very high ceiling.

Will he play 10-15 in Atlantis? Probably not. Will he be playing that by the 2nd half of conference season. I absolutely believe so. And he may get there earlier than that.

He had a couple of FR moments, but his D was very good and the way he handled things for the most part were very encouraging. Four years of Austin with Landry could be something to see.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » November 6th, 2016, 11:05 am

glm38 wrote:Encouraging exhibition for the Bears last night. Beat Missouri Baptist 93 - 72.

Newcomers looked good. Especially 6'9" Alize Johnson. This kid can really play. He's the most skilled big man I can remember in a bears uniform. He had 26 points and 11 boards. Can hit the three, handle the ball, and is a good rebounder. Plays with intensity on both ends. Rhodes is a 6' 6" forward with three point range. He had 11. Ronnie Rousseau is our new PG. He looked tentative early but seemed to find his confidence late. I think he'll be fine.

Returning players: Ruder is back and he looked good. Hit several shots and looked healthy and confident. Dixon looked great. Hit several jumpers which was the weak part of his game last year. Obi looks bigger and stronger. He and Alize together are really going to be difficult match up for the opposition inside with their size and athleticism. Kreklow played ok.

Downside: Our defense wasn't that good. Intensity was good but too many missed switches and too many open looks for the opposition. MO Baptist was over matched but they had some shooters. Kendrix and Jordan did not play due to "a violation of team rules". Hopefully not too serious. We need Chris.

Overall a very encouraging start.

This Missouri State team is good folks. Get used to it.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 6th, 2016, 6:45 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I don't know when it is, but UNI has a closed scrimmage against Wisconsin still before the season starts.

Wisconsin Badger Twitter Page

"Successful scrimmage vs @UNImbb today in Dubuque. In 3 periods featuring regular rotation, #Badgers won all 3. Combined score: 78-48"
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 6th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I don't know when it is, but UNI has a closed scrimmage against Wisconsin still before the season starts.

"Successful scrimmage vs @UNImbb today in Dubuque. In 3 periods featuring regular rotation, #Badgers won all 3. Combined score: 78-48"

Winning always makes you feel better, but those scrimmages are fairly meaningless.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 6th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Wufan wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:

Winning always makes you feel better, but those scrimmages are fairly meaningless.

Wouldn't call them meaningless or no one would do them.

Just posting results. Sure you can't take a ton from the score just like exhibitions. But it shows UNI has a lot to work on, just like the Shox and everyone else.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Valleyball » November 6th, 2016, 8:14 pm

Bradley won 83-66 over Wisconsin Lacrosse

http://bradleybraves.com/boxscore.aspx? ... l&id=13449
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » November 7th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
Wouldn't call them meaningless or no one would do them.

Just posting results. Sure you can't take a ton from the score just like exhibitions. But it shows UNI has a lot to work on, just like the Shox and everyone else.
From what I heard Wisconsin ran their normal rotation and UNI ran the younger guys most of the time.

Wisconsin in a top 10 team and IF UNI ran a rotation of mostly the freshman/sophomores I'mt not really that concerned. Even if it was a full on game I'm not too concerned in the first weekend of November about a team with a ton of freshman struggling against a top 10 team.

They also posted stats for the games for a few players

redshirt senior and 35 game starter last season Zak Showalter played 25 minutes and was 4-4 from deep in 25 min

Senior 34 game starter last season Vitto Brown scored 15 points on 4-5 from deep in 23min

Alex Illikainen, who played in 33 games last season had 14 points on 4-5 from deep in 16min

Jordan Hill, who played in 30 games lastse ason and shot 37% from deep had 13 points on 3-5 from deep 18min

Maybe UNI can't defend the three. Maybe UW was just hot as hell. 15-19 on 3 pointers from 4 guys will swing a game into something it's not in terms of score pretty quick.

UNI has a very young team. UNI does have a lot to work on. I'm not too concerned about the score of a scrimmage, especially when you see those kind of 3 point shooting % from the other team.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » November 7th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Why wouldn't you want to run a regular rotation against an opponent of that caliber to see how well you stack up? It's a scrimmage? I don't think there would be any game tape made on you.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball