MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby sixth ace » December 6th, 2016, 11:39 pm

SOOO y'all are nominating Marshall for MVC POY

:bow: :bow: :bow:

:Cheers: :Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 7th, 2016, 8:27 am

specialsauce wrote:You use "butt hurt" in your vocabulary way too much. Must be a personal thing.

Funny Championz.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 7th, 2016, 8:47 am

specialsauce wrote:
Point being it's not so much the argument but it's just the fact that the only posters that are being ultra contrarian to the idea that best coach = COY are you, the other Redbird fan, and an Evansville fan. We get it. It's a personal thing that eats inside of you.

You still don't get my point of view here and you are still caught up on the fact you THINK I care about your school that much. I don't. For the final time, sorry to disappoint you.

I think GM should have won COY. There is no reason a team that finished 5th should have COY, especially with WSU winning the league in dominant fashion....

But, it's not a Valley issue, it's a sports culture issue for WHY he did not win the award. The belief that the winner of COY should come from someone who was not picked to win, but rather someone who overachieved expectations is the problem. The media loves an underdog story...it's more intriguing. This happens in every sport, at every level and thus you have Barry Hinson...Coach of the Year.

I'm done with this topic and engaging you on it.

POY - Could be Paris Lee if he continues on his current trajectory
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » December 7th, 2016, 9:05 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Point being it's not so much the argument but it's just the fact that the only posters that are being ultra contrarian to the idea that best coach = COY are you, the other Redbird fan, and an Evansville fan. We get it. It's a personal thing that eats inside of you.

You still don't get my point of view here and you are still caught up on the fact you THINK I care about your school that much. I don't. For the final time, sorry to disappoint you.

I think GM should have won COY. There is no reason a team that finished 5th should have COY, especially with WSU winning the league in dominant fashion....

But, it's not a Valley issue, it's a sports culture issue for WHY he did not win the award. The belief that the winner of COY should come from someone who was not picked to win, but rather someone who overachieved expectations is the problem. The media loves an underdog story...it's more intriguing. This happens in every sport, at every level and thus you have Barry Hinson...Coach of the Year.

I'm done with this topic and engaging you on it.

POY - Could be Paris Lee if he continues on his current trajectory

Nice pivot on the subject back to POY. :bow:
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 7th, 2016, 9:14 am

Sorry in contributing to the derailing of the topic to begin with. WSU fans are very sensitive on the subject clearly.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 7th, 2016, 9:20 am

JR Simon for MVC POY. Went from Walk-on to scholarship player. Clearly over-performing relative to preseason prognostications. Everybody knew Paris Lee was going to be pretty good.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » December 7th, 2016, 9:22 am

Appreciate the level headed responses from some WU fan's I do totally get it. I also understand that WU is currently bigger than the valley and may be for a while. I agree it's in their best interest to leave the conference; they're really not a mid major program.

Anyway if any Loyola players gonna have a shot at POY at this point it may be transfer Aundre Jackson. 5th in the nation in FG% averaging 17pts, 5 boards, an assist and a steal. Gonna be hard to contend with Paris Lee and Jeremy Morgan though; Lee has been really impressive.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 7th, 2016, 9:36 am

Jackson is probably the front-runner. Morgan and Lee were expected to be good.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » December 7th, 2016, 10:57 am

Cdizzle wrote:Jackson is probably the front-runner. Morgan and Lee were expected to be good.

Not going to let it die, huh? Here's the difference with Morgan and Lee (as opposed to the point about Marshall which you're passive aggressively fighting right now)... they're improving this year.

Morgan's up from 11.3 PPG to 15.4. Rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, His per 40's have all improved. He's clearly POY potential.

Lee is in the same boat. 11.1 PPG to 14.5. Stats up across the board (unfortunately including turnovers, which needs to be ironed out before conference play).

So, as you can see, these guys are actually improving while playing at POY level.

Your comparison to the discussion on Marshall carries very little merit. Marshall had his boys back last year, including two senior All Americans and actually managed to REGRESS.

2014-2015 Shockers - 30-5 (17-1), 70.3 PPG, 57.4 OPPG, .445 FG%, .402 OFG%, +168 Rebounding Diff, 1.46 Ast/TO Ratio
2015-2016 Shockers - 26-9 (16-2), 72.4 PPG, 59.0 OPPG, .429 FG%, .387 OFG%, +151 Rebounding Diff, 1.42 Ast/TO Ratio

It's not like the Shockers were bad by any means. I'm not saying that. And Marshall was and is a heck of a coach. I'm not saying the contrary either. They were head and shoulders the class of the Valley again. But his team actually regressed even though they brought back two All Americans and the Valley was very down.

I personally think for the 2015-2016 season he deserved Coach of the Year based on the other options, but I can understand why others had him 2nd on their ballots. You would think with what returned those two season's stats would have been flipped... regardless of injury. To me, all 2015-2016 showed me was FVV was more valuable than HCGM to the Shockers...

Now back to POY... I think it's Morgan's... and he'll be deserving of it.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 7th, 2016, 11:37 am

It's not about improving, quit moving the goal post. It's about performing relative to preseason media expectations. Morgan was pre-season MVP and his team is .500. Sounds like MVP material for sure.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball