MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby bleach » January 23rd, 2017, 8:41 pm

Brenton Scott puts up a lot of shots and has the ball in his hands a lot but, he would look good on any league team. He should be 2nd team right now.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheObserver » January 23rd, 2017, 11:49 pm

bleach wrote:Brenton Scott puts up a lot of shots and has the ball in his hands a lot but, he would look good on any league team. He should be 2nd team right now.

I know it was just one game, but he looked pretty pedestrian in his 3 point outing last Saturday, on the conference's last placed team currently.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 24th, 2017, 8:31 am

bleach wrote:Brenton Scott puts up a lot of shots and has the ball in his hands a lot but, he would look good on any league team. He should be 2nd team right now.

He would be another ppg only reason for selection....Being in last place, coupled with being shut down in two of his last 3 games doesn't really scream all conference.

I would take Daquon Miller over him.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » January 24th, 2017, 8:56 am

No way scott should be any where near an all league team. He has been awful for most of the conference season
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 24th, 2017, 9:10 am

Brenton Scott might make teams worse, not better. He's a volume shooter that contributes literally nothing else.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 24th, 2017, 9:37 am

Love this topic, and the PPG discussion.

The reason I think Jaylon Brown is at least a 2nd Teamer in the Valley is because he's a known weapon. When you plan to play Evansville, you have 2 guys to guard, and that's it. Everyone knows it. Everyone game plans around it. And he still gets his points. He doesn't have "off nights".

Here are his scoring totals in the last 10 games... 25, 33, 17, 17, 21, 23, 19, 19, 28, 16

Plays on a team that struggles to score... he's one of the only weapons to actually guard... and yet still performs well.

His ORtg is 115.4, with a DRtg of 99.9. More importantly his Box Plus/Minus is +4.9. Compare that to a Brenton Scott who is only a +2.4.

He's honestly probably too high as a 1st teamer on my selection, I'll absolutely concede that point, but I'd argue strongly he's a 2nd teamer given his situation and how he's produced.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 24th, 2017, 9:59 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:Here are his scoring totals in the last 10 games... 25, 33, 17, 17, 21, 23, 19, 19, 28, 16

W, W, L, W, L, L, L, L, L, L

It's the result of a system, not a great player. The fact that random people have continually stepped in to that role, averaged 20ppg, and lost, for 10 years only further demonstrates the point.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » January 24th, 2017, 10:08 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:Love this topic, and the PPG discussion.

The reason I think Jaylon Brown is at least a 2nd Teamer in the Valley is because he's a known weapon. When you plan to play Evansville, you have 2 guys to guard, and that's it. Everyone knows it. Everyone game plans around it. And he still gets his points. He doesn't have "off nights".

Here are his scoring totals in the last 10 games... 25, 33, 17, 17, 21, 23, 19, 19, 28, 16

Plays on a team that struggles to score... he's one of the only weapons to actually guard... and yet still performs well.

His ORtg is 115.4, with a DRtg of 99.9. More importantly his Box Plus/Minus is +4.9. Compare that to a Brenton Scott who is only a +2.4.

He's honestly probably too high as a 1st teamer on my selection, I'll absolutely concede that point, but I'd argue strongly he's a 2nd teamer given his situation and how he's produced.

To support your argument, the 28 points was against the Shockers. Brown is listed at 6'0" and that is generous. He was guarded by Shocker players between 6'3" and 6'8". His sweet spot is in the lane at about 12-15 feet. Most possessions had 2 or 3 defenders also in that vicinity.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » January 24th, 2017, 10:16 am

mule wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:Love this topic, and the PPG discussion.

To support your argument, the 28 points was against the Shockers. Brown is listed at 6'0" and that is generous. He was guarded by Shocker players between 6'3" and 6'8". His sweet spot is in the lane at about 12-15 feet. Most possessions had 2 or 3 defenders also in that vicinity.

He also played 39 minutes in a 17 point loss.

Whenever you look at all-conference type players and consider comparing their per40 numbers, you don't have to make an adjustment for the Evansville scorer.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 24th, 2017, 12:47 pm

I think the L's actually support my argument, not detract from it. His team around him is absolutely terrible, and he's often overmatched due to the double teams he gets, yet he still scores and is shooting 48.3%. He doesn't have to throw up 30 shots a night to get his. He's pretty efficient.

This is where the subjectivity comes in. I value a guy like that, and think the L's buoy his status.

It's cool to disagree on this point, but you've made a good argument which is why I agree he's probably a 2nd teamer and not a 1st. I did a rough draft and your points have made me reconsider him down a level. I still think he belongs though.

:Cheers:
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball