MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby underdawg » December 6th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Get over it--it's a new year man :roll:
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby specialsauce » December 6th, 2016, 4:21 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Wow the defense of the Coach Marshall on here not winning the COY is getting old - yawn! :Violin:

Maybe some of the voters (coaches, media & SID's) don't care much for Marshall and simply decided to stick it to him. Fair or not that is likely what happened IMO.

And that right there is so VALLEY.

Thanks for proving cdizzle's point.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby specialsauce » December 6th, 2016, 4:24 pm

Interesting factoid:

The posters who have had the longest NCAA Tournament droughts (Evansville, Illinois State) are the ones that are beyond adamant that Marshall should never win COY because his teams have high expectations and because Marshall recruits too well.

Go figure.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 6th, 2016, 4:45 pm

specialsauce wrote:Interesting factoid:

The posters who have had the longest NCAA Tournament droughts (Evansville, Illinois State) are the ones that are beyond adamant that Marshall should never win COY because his teams have high expectations and because Marshall recruits too well.

Go figure.

In no way did any of us EVER say he was not deserving. I think he should have won. RedbirdGrad thinks he should have won, etc. Did we use too big of words for you? Were our thoughts to deep for your comprehension?

My argument is it's a culture of the underdog....popularity vote. The team picked to win did what they were expected...so they aren't the popular choice over the underdog team who overachieved. Do I need to spell that out for you as well?

You guys are so butt-hurt over this that 8 months later it still eats you up inside that he did not win. Get over it!!!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » December 6th, 2016, 4:50 pm

You use "butt hurt" in your vocabulary way too much. Must be a personal thing.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby specialsauce » December 6th, 2016, 4:55 pm

You said you understand the underdog cultural thing but the fangrad said he honestly believes that's how it should go. So don't be putting words in everybody's mouth.

Point being it's not so much the argument but it's just the fact that the only posters that are being ultra contrarian to the idea that best coach = COY are you, the other Redbird fan, and an Evansville fan. We get it. It's a personal thing that eats inside of you.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rollbird5 » December 6th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Should we change the title of the thread to MVC COY?
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers » December 6th, 2016, 5:08 pm

I'm still new to this board...but uhhhh... we're not talking about POY anymore...?

In all seriousness I think everyone knows Greg Marshall is the best coach in the league, I can't debate that that. But in considering coach of the year I think there are also outside forces that other coaches don't have to deal with. Hinson had to contend with a stricter budget; especially with the MAP grant issues in the state of Illinois. If I recall this prevented him from attending a post season tourney (I understand the "if they were that could they wouldn't need to pay to play"). I know some coaches also have more difficulties in day to day life whether it be scheduling practice because theirs only one facility shared among 4 teams all in season simultaneously. It's these extra pieces that may come in to play when considering everything.

SIU was still 11-7 in conference play and had some quality wins I understand both arguments. I may be retreading old arguments but Marshall won the award 3 times in a row from 11-12 through 13-14. As a fan i'd be a bit concerned about my coaches commitment if not winning "coach of the year" upset him enough to leave the U as Cdizzle implied (and if that is a real concern with Marshall let me know i could be out of the loop).

It also could be argued that even at 16-2 in conference they underachieved. They had Ron Baker, FVV, and Wessel in their senior years coming off a 30 win season, big man Anton Grady coming in as a grad transfer (unfortunate injury of course, but he did come back), plus a stellar freshmen class coming in. I remember before the season started i expected them to maybe lose 1-2 games all season. They started 2-4 and really struggled without FVV; when he came back the team began to gel again. and obviously 16-2 is what you get in conference play.

I understand the frustration but as an annual award isn't it kind of who had the best year? Hinsons team had an up year and Marshall's team had a down year (even though a down year is on a different level than most MVC teams). Also for what it's worth.... the award doesn't mean much.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » December 6th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Blers wrote:I'm still new to this board...but uhhhh... we're not talking about POY anymore...?

In all seriousness I think everyone knows Greg Marshall is the best coach in the league, I can't debate that that. But in considering coach of the year I think there are also outside forces that other coaches don't have to deal with. Hinson had to contend with a stricter budget; especially with the MAP grant issues in the state of Illinois. If I recall this prevented him from attending a post season tourney (I understand the "if they were that could they wouldn't need to pay to play"). I know some coaches also have more difficulties in day to day life whether it be scheduling practice because theirs only one facility shared among 4 teams all in season simultaneously. It's these extra pieces that may come in to play when considering everything.

SIU was still 11-7 in conference play and had some quality wins I understand both arguments. I may be retreading old arguments but Marshall won the award 3 times in a row from 11-12 through 13-14. As a fan i'd be a bit concerned about my coaches commitment if not winning "coach of the year" upset him enough to leave the U as Cdizzle implied (and if that is a real concern with Marshall let me know i could be out of the loop).

It also could be argued that even at 16-2 in conference they underachieved. They had Ron Baker, FVV, and Wessel in their senior years coming off a 30 win season, big man Anton Grady coming in as a grad transfer (unfortunate injury of course, but he did come back), plus a stellar freshmen class coming in. I remember before the season started i expected them to maybe lose 1-2 games all season. They started 2-4 and really struggled without FVV; when he came back the team began to gel again. and obviously 16-2 is what you get in conference play.

I understand the frustration but as an annual award isn't it kind of who had the best year? Hinsons team had an up year and Marshall's team had a down year (even though a down year is on a different level than most MVC teams). Also for what it's worth.... the award doesn't mean much.

When an "up year" for one coach is finishing 5th without any meaningful postseason invite and a "down year" for another is winning the conference by ONLY 4 games and an NCAA at large, it says more about how horrible (and great conversely) those coaches are normally. It doesn't mean we have to reward mediocrity because someone was less bad (by no means good) than they normally are
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 6th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Biers, one of the reasons Marshall is so good at his job is because he wants to and EXPECTS to win at everything. That also makes him a bit of an ass. His bonus structure is also tied to winning the award, and while it isn't substantial vs his salary, you know that a type A personality uses his earnings as justification of his worth.

The argument over Marshall winning the COY award is just one example of how the Valley is perceived to be "holding WSU back". Further defense of this practice only serves to reinforce that narrative (which I agree with).

On the flip side, it appears that WSU is stuck with the Valley, and the MVC is stuck with the Shox, so it's even more disappointing when media and/or fans seem to be okay with mediocrity.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball