November 21st - 25th MVC games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: November 21st - 25th MVC games

Postby jackwagon » November 22nd, 2016, 8:35 am

Wufan wrote:For the top half of the Valley, here's the weaknesses I see:

1. WSU hasn't shown any yet, so we will say their weakness is a lack of competition.
2. ISUr is a severe lack of depth.
3. UNI maybe youth at the point? Pretty salty team, so that's all I can come up with.
4. MSU is interior defense
5. LUC is a lack of height

Overall, this might be our strongest top 5 in years.

Would agree with this so far. WSU will have a weakness, but due to competition you won't see it yet. Also clear to me Drake is still a doormat and Evansville is a Thursday team. SIU looks to be much closer to a doormat then a contender. Bradley is improved, but not enough to be an average team. ISUB and MSU are the two im most interested in seeing. MSU has played the worst schedule possible and done what any good team would do. What happens when they face some real competition?? ISUB started with two good mid major road games and split them both in OT. Find out a lot about them this week/weekend in a stacked tourney field.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » November 22nd, 2016, 12:16 pm

Good bounceback win for Bradley today in Florida over Wofford. Braves win 70-62.

Down 11 at the half and scored 45 in the second--hard to do against Wofford who is well coached and slows it down. Luuk van Bree finally woke up and hit two big threes late. McGlaston has been a nice find and the two freshmen Brown, Jr and Koch Bar have been better than I thought.

Braves play the winner of Kent State and George Mason tomorrow at 12:30 central.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 22nd, 2016, 12:18 pm

1. WSU hasn't shown any yet, so we will say their weakness is a lack of competition.
3. UNI maybe youth at the point? Pretty salty team, so that's all I can come up with.

I would put ISUr 4 on this list right now. If a fresh 7 man rotation in November can't handle mediocre (at best) opponents, a tired 7 man rotation in February isn't going to keep pace in the league race.

Bradley beats Wofford this morning.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2016, 12:35 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

I would put ISUr 4 on this list right now. If a fresh 7 man rotation in November can't handle mediocre (at best) opponents, a tired 7 man rotation in February isn't going to keep pace in the league race.

I just used the preseason rankings, but I agree that they have three stars (Hawkins, McIntosh, Lee) three role players, and one other warm body.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » November 22nd, 2016, 1:32 pm

Wufan wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

I just used the preseason rankings, but I agree that they have three stars (Hawkins, McIntosh, Lee) three role players, and one other warm body.

Agree with your assessment WuFan. Other problem besides lack of depth is turnovers from these stars.
Lee has 16 to's in 3 games and McIntosh 12!

Bright spot has been the play of Clayton & Fayne. To compete for the 2nd spot after WSU though they really need King David to get back from the foot injury and one or both of the Freshman (Washington or Williams) to become solid role players. Those are big if's right now!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » November 22nd, 2016, 1:32 pm

jackwagon wrote:

Would agree with this so far. WSU will have a weakness, but due to competition you won't see it yet. Also clear to me Drake is still a doormat and Evansville is a Thursday team. SIU looks to be much closer to a doormat then a contender. Bradley is improved, but not enough to be an average team. ISUB and MSU are the two im most interested in seeing. MSU has played the worst schedule possible and done what any good team would do. What happens when they face some real competition?? ISUB started with two good mid major road games and split them both in OT. Find out a lot about them this week/weekend in a stacked tourney field.

Color me curious! What has Evansville done or not done to be so clear to you?
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » November 22nd, 2016, 1:38 pm

mule wrote:
jackwagon wrote:

Color me curious! What has Evansville done or not done to be so clear to you?

They gave Simmons a contract extension.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » November 22nd, 2016, 3:13 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
mule wrote:Color me curious! What has Evansville done or not done to be so clear to you?

Old news. On the court this year!
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » November 22nd, 2016, 3:16 pm

mule wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
mule wrote:Color me curious! What has Evansville done or not done to be so clear to you?

Old news. On the court this year!

Simmons is still coaching the team.

I can do this all day.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 22nd, 2016, 5:31 pm

You don't think post play is a WSU weakness? Have Nurger and Shaq Morris improved that much? As good as the Shox were last year I thought those 2 were very underwhelming and a real weakness.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball