November 21st - 25th MVC games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: November 21st - 25th MVC games

Postby Rollbird5 » November 22nd, 2016, 5:38 pm

glm38 wrote:
Wufan wrote:For the top half of the Valley, here's the weaknesses I see:

1. WSU hasn't shown any yet, so we will say their weakness is a lack of competition.
2. ISUr is a severe lack of depth.
3. UNI maybe youth at the point? Pretty salty team, so that's all I can come up with.
4. MSU is interior defense
5. LUC is a lack of height

Overall, this might be our strongest top 5 in years.

You don't think post play is a WSU weakness? Have Nurger and Shaq Morris improved that much? As good as the Shox were last year I thought those 2 were very underwhelming and a real weakness.

If there are weaknesses we will know after the Shox Battle for Atlantis tourney what they may be.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2016, 6:31 pm

glm38 wrote:

1. WSU hasn't shown any yet, so we will say their weakness is a lack of competition.
3. UNI maybe youth at the point? Pretty salty team, so that's all I can come up with.

You don't think post play is a WSU weakness? Have Nurger and Shaq Morris improved that much? As good as the Shox were last year I thought those 2 were very underwhelming and a real weakness.

I don't think that's a weakness, and though it could end up that way, it's just as likely to be a strength. Shaq needs to stay on the court by avoiding foul trouble. He is shooting over 80% from the floor and averaging 1 point every 2 minutes. His rebounding numbers aren't great, but he does body up to clear the lane for other Shockers to grab the board. He's also averaging 3 blocks per 40. Nurger has improved and bulked up. He's averaging 8 and 3 in 18 minutes per game. We will see how they look against the P5 this week.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2016, 6:43 pm

mule wrote:
jackwagon wrote:

Would agree with this so far. WSU will have a weakness, but due to competition you won't see it yet. Also clear to me Drake is still a doormat and Evansville is a Thursday team. SIU looks to be much closer to a doormat then a contender. Bradley is improved, but not enough to be an average team. ISUB and MSU are the two im most interested in seeing. MSU has played the worst schedule possible and done what any good team would do. What happens when they face some real competition?? ISUB started with two good mid major road games and split them both in OT. Find out a lot about them this week/weekend in a stacked tourney field.

Color me curious! What has Evansville done or not done to be so clear to you?

The Aces haven't done anything other than demonstrate they aren't as good as Louisville. What do you think their resume demonstrates?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 22nd, 2016, 10:08 pm

AceMatt wrote:Outstanding job by Moser. Add Loyola to the list of contenders for Wichita's title

Loyola makes nine on the list.

(excuse typing. broken arm,)
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 22nd, 2016, 10:15 pm

glm38 wrote:

u are rt. post play will be awful.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » November 22nd, 2016, 10:26 pm

Bradley faces off against George Mason at 12:30ct on Wednesday. This will be their third and final game at the Gulf Coast Showcase tournament. Bradley lost to Hofstra and beat Wofford to get here. George Mason lost to Houston and beat Kent State.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird222 » November 22nd, 2016, 10:54 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Wufan wrote:
Cdizzle"[quote="Wufan wrote:For the top half of the Valley, here's the weaknesses I see:

I would put ISUr 4 on this list right now. If a fresh 7 man rotation in November can't handle mediocre (at best) opponents, a tired 7 man rotation in February isn't going to keep pace in the league race.

I just used the preseason rankings, but I agree that they have three stars (Hawkins, McIntosh, Lee) three role players, and one other warm body.

Agree with your assessment WuFan. Other problem besides lack of depth is turnovers from these stars.
Lee has 16 to's in 3 games and McIntosh 12!

Bright spot has been the play of Clayton & Fayne. To compete for the 2nd spot after WSU though they really need King David to get back from the foot injury and one or both of the Freshman (Washington or Williams) to become solid role players. Those are big if's right now!

Agree with Redhawk assessment. Also let's not forget that Wills has just returned from sports hernia surgery and hasn't hit full stride yet.
Redbird222
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby isumvc1 » November 23rd, 2016, 9:23 am

Good luck Shox, Braves, and Bears today! MVC
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 23rd, 2016, 11:49 am

Wichita up 46-19 at the half.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » November 23rd, 2016, 11:53 am

Does LSU qualify as a real opponent?
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball