November 26th - 27th MVC games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: November 26th - 27th MVC games

Postby shockalot » November 29th, 2016, 9:42 pm

LanceShock wrote:WSU or UNI could win the national championship and still nobody outside the Valley would care about it.

Nonsense. The media profile of the Big East has gone up substantially with Nova winning the championship, and the same enhancement of any conferences profile is and would be increased with a conference team winning the national championship. Any given individual might not care about the conference the champ came from but many do, especially players, and more good players will be drawn to a conference that has a national champion. Just look at Gonzaga which hasn't even won a national championship, but with year after year of excellence and success has significantly raised the profile of the WCC to the point that that conference has more good players coming to it and other teams that are now at a higher level then before Gonzaga's sustained success.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby specialsauce » November 29th, 2016, 10:07 pm

That Horizon was one mighty, powerful conference and gained lots of respect after Butler's back-to-back title appearances. :roll:

I want to know how the conference does against the P5. That's the measuring stick. That's it. Anything else is just white noise.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shockalot » November 30th, 2016, 7:31 pm

The indication that you are missing is National Championship, not title appearance. Though, it clearly IS the case that Butler's title appearances got it out of the Horizon league.
Of course the winning team gets tons of exposure, and so does the winning team's conference. Look, anyone paying attention can see that the national media has increased it's respect for the new Big East as a basketball conference after Villanova's Championship win, and other Big East teams are getting more benefit of the doubt about how good they are, and will likely reap rewards in higher level recruiting gets.
But hey, its fine if it doesn't ring your bell personally.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby specialsauce » November 30th, 2016, 7:42 pm

You're the one that seems abnormally defensive about the comments. Are you from Nebraska by any chance?

Are you really splitting hairs between a national championship appearance and a national championship? A championship appearance, especially in BACK TO BACK years, is a pretty big deal too.

I haven't noticed anymore attention to the Big East than in years' past. The majority of their games are still on some obscure television network. Villanova has gotten lots of more attention than before. I expected and noticed that. The rest of the conference? Not so much.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shockalot » November 30th, 2016, 8:56 pm

You are special, and saucy! The reason for you're reaction to a poster including the BE as a top 6 conference is transparently about that conference having Creighton in it, and therefore must be a conference of no account, as made yet more obvious by you're need to see me merely voicing an opinion based on observation that is contrary to yours as being from Nebraska, i.e. a BJ fan in a shocker mask!
I have no love of Creighton, nor of the Big East. But unlike you I'm not butt hurt over the fact that Creighton got out of the MVC into a higher profile conference and WSU didn't. Get over it dude.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby specialsauce » November 30th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Who said that the Valley was better than the Big East? Not I.

Again, you seem pretty adamant about defending the Big East on a Valley board. Just weird.

I'm just being honest. The Big East is not getting anymore attention than normal. Where is this extra "attention" you're seeing? They don't appear on any major sports carrier. I rarely notice any highlights, except of Villanova. Again, Villanova is the one that is constantly talked about and focussed in on. The Big East is not. No matter how many times the talking heads on their flagship network say they are. They're paid to do that. Maybe you should get over it.. dude.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Mike » December 1st, 2016, 8:49 am

shockalot wrote:You are special, and saucy! The reason for you're reaction to a poster including the BE as a top 6 conference is transparently about that conference having Creighton in it, and therefore must be a conference of no account, as made yet more obvious by you're need to see me merely voicing an opinion based on observation that is contrary to yours as being from Nebraska, i.e. a BJ fan in a shocker mask!
I have no love of Creighton, nor of the Big East. But unlike you I'm not butt hurt over the fact that Creighton got out of the MVC into a higher profile conference and WSU didn't. Get over it dude.

I hear the sound of the nail being hit on the head!
Mike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby specialsauce » December 1st, 2016, 10:02 am

Why do Creighton fans still post on Valley message boards? Do Butler fans still post on Horizon boards? Probably not.

Just weird.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball