HOW TO START OVER

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: HOW TO START OVER

Postby MoValley John » December 6th, 2016, 5:30 pm

MAKE DRAKE
GREAT AGAIN
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SubGod22 » December 6th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Sandy will screw up this opportunity
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » December 6th, 2016, 7:02 pm

The hope and speculation is that she will not be given the opportunity to screw up the next hire. We are hopeful that Drake's new president has something to do with this. He grew up in Kansas and claims to be a big basketball fan. He was at Gonzaga before Drake, so should have some concept of what a winning program can do for a university.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » December 6th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Drakey wrote:The hope and speculation is that she will not be given the opportunity to screw up the next hire. We are hopeful that Drake's new president has something to do with this. He grew up in Kansas and claims to be a big basketball fan. He was at Gonzaga before Drake, so should have some concept of what a winning program can do for a university.

I thought he was from Kentucky. His undergrad and law degrees are from UK
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Drakey » December 6th, 2016, 7:57 pm

Some UK. I assume you are right. All I know is he claimed to be a big basketball fan. Kentucky? Even better.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 6th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Didn't Giac come from Gonzaga and have some idea what success looked like?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » December 7th, 2016, 12:03 am

Cdizzle wrote:Didn't Giac come from Gonzaga and have some idea what success looked like?

Yes, but his trajectory at Drake was very similar to his previous head coaching gig at Utah. Each season was worse than the one before.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cdizzle » December 7th, 2016, 12:15 am

DUBulldog wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Didn't Giac come from Gonzaga and have some idea what success looked like?

Yes, but his trajectory at Drake was very similar to his previous head coaching gig at Utah. Each season was worse than the one before.

Just saying the previous comment about the AD wasn't necessarily reason for confidence.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » December 7th, 2016, 9:54 am

Cdizzle wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:

Just saying the previous comment about the AD wasn't necessarily reason for confidence.

It was actually the president of the university....and you are correct not necessarily a reason for confidence.

But, compare him with Drake's previous president:

Previous guy did his undergrad at Grinnell (D3), and then worked at Tufts (D3), Whitman (D3) and Johns Hopkins (D3), and wasn't a sports fan.

New guy did undergrad and law school at Kentucky and most of his academic career was at Gonzaga. He also mentioned his love of basketball in many interviews shortly after his hire at Drake.

So, it doesn't necessarily mean a thing, but I know which of those 2 guys is more likely to oversee the rebuild of a basketball program.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cdizzle » December 7th, 2016, 11:42 am

IMO, Drake would be more successful trying to emulate Grinnell than UK or GU. Both in that I think D2 or D3 is a better idea, and that even if not, running a gimmicky scheme might be their best way to attract talent above their current level. You might actually be able to find some decent talent that would want to play a fun run-and-gun style, or 40 minutes of hell, or something. D+ wasn't attracting anyone.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball