Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Re: HOW TO START OVER

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » December 8th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Drake should reach out to Steve Merfeld. Why?

1) He's at least heard of Drake University.
2) I feel kinda bad for him, being banished to Omaha and all.
3) We need more coaches in this conference who have been fired from other members. Barry and Porter aren't enough.

(I'm only sort of kidding - I really did like Merf's system)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby AceMatt » December 8th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Merfeld had some really bad luck when his star recruits were caught stealing on campus. He was never able to recover after that. I'd like to see him get a 2nd chance somewhere. Probably wouldn't be Drake but maybe somewhere in the Summit conference would be a good fit.
But speaking of Aces coaches, what if Marty can manage to pull off another 20 win season in a transition year. That would be 4 out of 5 seasons with 20+ wins. He inherited a program that was at its lowest point ever and has managed to post 24 and 25 wins in back to back years. If Drake is looking for an experienced coach to rebuild a single digit win team, why not look at Marty Simmons. He has already proven he can do it at a similar school with less resources.
I do expect that idea to be immediately dismissed on this board. But IF Evansville has another good year, would Drake try to pry away Marty Simmons with a better offer.
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ACECARD » December 8th, 2016, 9:19 pm

AceMatt wrote:Merfeld had some really bad luck when his star recruits were caught stealing on campus. He was never able to recover after that. I'd like to see him get a 2nd chance somewhere. Probably wouldn't be Drake but maybe somewhere in the Summit conference would be a good fit.
But speaking of Aces coaches, what if Marty can manage to pull off another 20 win season in a transition year. That would be 4 out of 5 seasons with 20+ wins. He inherited a program that was at its lowest point ever and has managed to post 24 and 25 wins in back to back years. If Drake is looking for an experienced coach to rebuild a single digit win team, why not look at Marty Simmons. He has already proven he can do it at a similar school with less resources.
I do expect that idea to be immediately dismissed on this board. But IF Evansville has another good year, would Drake try to pry away Marty Simmons with a better offer.

Doubt that Marty would ever leave the Aces. While a lot of us believe that the Aces may not be a 9th place team, they must be considered a Thursday team until they can prove that they are not. At best they could be middle of the pack, and don't think that Drake would be looking for something like that.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » December 8th, 2016, 9:42 pm

AceMatt wrote:Merfeld had some really bad luck when his star recruits were caught stealing on campus. He was never able to recover after that.

His bad luck as you put it was bringing to UE a talented basketball player that was passed over by bigger schools because of the player's less than desirable background. Not only were 2 other players dragged down the drain with him so was the program for a number of years.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby AceMatt » December 8th, 2016, 10:48 pm

mule wrote:His bad luck as you put it was bringing to UE a talented basketball player that was passed over by bigger schools because of the player's less than desirable background. Not only were 2 other players dragged down the drain with him so was the program for a number of years.

It was a big gamble that wound up decimating the program. I understand why he recruited Dupree Fletcher. He was good friends with his high school coach and the kid had game changing potential. I'm sure he thought he could guide him on a better path. Unfortunately we know how that ended with not 1 but 3 talented players gone. Of course Merfeld still got paid and I'm sure he's not hating life right now doing what he loves as an assistant to the #10 team in the nation who is a threat to win it all. The real victims were the university and all the fans who were used to watching a winning program
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » December 9th, 2016, 6:32 am

mule wrote:
AceMatt wrote:Merfeld had some really bad luck when his star recruits were caught stealing on campus. He was never able to recover after that.

His bad luck as you put it was bringing to UE a talented basketball player that was passed over by bigger schools because of the player's less than desirable background. Not only were 2 other players dragged down the drain with him so was the program for a number of years.

He could replace Muller at ISU, then it wouldn't be an issue! The Dupree and co could have been disciplined on Monday and start on Wednesday.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 9th, 2016, 6:36 am

AceMatt wrote:Merfeld had some really bad luck when his star recruits were caught stealing on campus. He was never able to recover after that. I'd like to see him get a 2nd chance somewhere. Probably wouldn't be Drake but maybe somewhere in the Summit conference would be a good fit.

First, coaches don't move within conference. Second, ADs should be able to recognize the concern if a coach is putting up 20 wins a season against SWAC level competition.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 9th, 2016, 9:02 am

Wufan wrote:
mule wrote:

He could replace Muller at ISU, then it wouldn't be an issue! The Dupree and co could have been disciplined on Monday and start on Wednesday.

Lol truth.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 9th, 2016, 9:53 am

Very informative replies.

My thoughts have probably been stated above.

1. Strong, determined, come hell or high water president and AD leadership is required. None of "I will try, if I can business."

2. Money. Lots of money. This means university funds plus donations from dedicated and long term committed billionaire alumni and supporters. Yes, I said billionaires.

3. If D.U. does not have 1 and 2 above, the it is unlikely that the program will ever be successful.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball