Game 7

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Game 7

Postby bleach » January 18th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Wufan wrote:
glm38 wrote:Bears up by 13 at the half at ISUb. Alize very impressive with 18 points and 10 boards so far.

Bears pullout a close one.

As an innocent bystander, how was this a close game? I really would like an opinion from an unbias observer. How many points did MSU get that wasn't a player making something out of nothing?
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 18th, 2017, 9:01 pm

bleach wrote:
Wufan wrote:
glm38 wrote:Bears up by 13 at the half at ISUb. Alize very impressive with 18 points and 10 boards so far.

Bears pullout a close one.

As an innocent bystander, how was this a close game? I really would like an opinion from an unbias observer. How many points did MSU get that wasn't a player making something out of nothing?

I believe ISU was within 5 points for the last 5 minutes. They kept it close, but the Bears kept the lead. To be fair, I wasn't watching it closely...more on in the background.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 18th, 2017, 9:30 pm

The amount of bailout and phantom foul calls that benefited UNI tonight was amazingly high. Loyola was making FG's; UNI was making FT's.

Thought Loyola played the better game.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 18th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Drake wins in over time 88-84 over SIU.

Big Plays by Ore and Jacob, real good team win.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » January 18th, 2017, 9:57 pm

I thought WU fans talking about home cooking at UNI were full of it. But holy crap how does Loyola get 1 free throw in regulation and UNI get 17!?!?!?

Just awful. Loyola played very poorly overall offensively. But I don't know how anyone can look at the phantom Richardson call at the end of regulation(blocking with about 8 seconds left... No way it was a foul) and not at least slightly question what was going on.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Summary of the "War on 74"

Bradley is still bad.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 18th, 2017, 10:59 pm

Illinois State looked great. Even at 3-2 the game was never in doubt. Little concerned about their depth. The way they're playing right now, they belong in the tourney.

Alize Johnson is my POY right now. Dude is a monster. Great motor. How have they lost 3 times?

Loyola should have won, but too much one on one from Milt.

Evansville isn't good. Drake and SIU was awful to watch.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 19th, 2017, 8:11 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Summary of the "War on 74"

Bradley is still bad.

I actually didn't think Bradley played that bad...and that's the problem. The gap in talent level is still huge. The fact that we can play "okay" and still get blitzed on our home court by our main rival without much of a challenge is a problem. We're putting the pieces in place, and I still like where we are going, but we still have a lot of fat to trim. Would be lucky to make top 6 this season.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 19th, 2017, 8:23 am

2livewu wrote:Alize Johnson is my POY right now. Dude is a monster. Great motor. How have they lost 3 times?

It's called the Lusk factor; I don't know that people outside Springfield who don't see Lusk game to game realize how bad he is. This team is right there talent wise to be contesting for a title; a guy like Alize is obvious, but some guys like Kendrix and Dixon who simply don't get utilized effectively are much better than what plays out. Kendrix was really coming on at the end of his sophomore year despite Lusk constantly messing with him. He entered this season as the 4th leading returning scorer and 6th returning rebounder in the conference; those are numbers usually indicative of a player entering a junior year who is closing on being all MVC caliber, and he is talent wise. Granted Chris can be his own worst enemy, but he isn't the first talented kid Lusk just seems unable to effectively manage and push the right buttons with. Even a guy like Alize has had at least two games this year where Lusk has inexplicably sat him long stretches in close games we lost. While in general, the players don't voice much discontent, there seems to be always some conflict with some of our most talented guys. Marshall, Kendrix recently, and right now it's not fully clear what all is leading to Rousseau's absence although in fairness, it may not have anything to do with Lusk. And that's just the player management and development aspect; he's probably even worse at overall strategy, in game decisions and other technical aspects of being a coach. Bear's fans are in that terrible purgatory of wanting our young guys to do well and wanting to win, but realizing modest success now leads to extended mediocrity in retaining Lusk. We are at least because of the talent, entertaining to watch, but any lead against any team heading into the last 10 minutes can be easily Lusked away, and at least 3-4 times a year[ see SIU/Air Force] a Lusk team will simply not even show up to compete.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » January 19th, 2017, 8:29 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Summary of the "War on 74"

Bradley is still bad.

I actually didn't think Bradley played that bad...and that's the problem. The gap in talent level is still huge. The fact that we can play "okay" and still get blitzed on our home court by our main rival without much of a challenge is a problem. We're putting the pieces in place, and I still like where we are going, but we still have a lot of fat to trim. Would be lucky to make top 6 this season.

Agree with you Bu it was more that ISUr played great on both ends. I liked what I saw from some of the young Braves. Give it time...but I think Wardle appears to have the program improving!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball