Road Warriors

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Road Warriors

Postby purple&orange » January 18th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Why wasn't it Evansville's Super Bowl this year vs last year........look at the team on the floor/standings.

Last year's game was a weekend early afternoon tip, after going to Wichita and playing pretty well, only a three point loss off the top of my head. There wasn't nearly the amount of Wichita State fans that were there from last year as I was out in the lobby for the hour prior to tip off, along with the optimism that the Aces might take down Wichita State. Last night it was a later than normal start, 8:00 PM and the way Evansville has trended over the last few games, let's just say that confidence wasn't real high going in and it didn't matter if it was Wichita State or Illinois State on the schedule.

To the Wichita State and Illinois State fans, enjoy the run you guys are having this season. The run/final last season, despite the bounce that ended the season, was a lot of fun, having that hope that it just might be the year. I can recall both programs being there, when UE-ISUr was a Valley game of the Week by contract only and Marshall's first season. Both your squads have a bigger challenge getting the invite, not winning a game or two if you're lucky enough to get there. It would be great to see both get that chance and if my Purple Aces cannot get there (highly unlikely but got to throw the disclaimer in there) I'm hoping to see you guys in the final on Sunday at Arch Madness. Would be a great finale to see in person, a showcase for the league.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 1:43 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:What I thought was a little strange is ISUR not selling out for the WSU game. Has to be the biggest game in years with first place on the line. Only 89% capacity with 9078 fans.

Everyone was freaking out about ice, which never really happened.

Also, our town sucks for a fan base.

Good honest answer. Wichita was freaking out about the ice, but it seems no matter the weather Koch Arena will be filled.

Helps when you have been really good for many years consecutively

We haven't been to the NCAA's since 98. Even then, we didn't sell out....State Farm is very transient and thus no loyalty to the local division 1 college basketball program.

Also, great post RedbirdGrad.
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on January 18th, 2017, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 18th, 2017, 1:45 pm

I think it's cute that we're making Illinois State and Wichita State program comparisons. Some of these people are just getting sucked into the storm. Given Illinois State's history, it's safe to say it was the biggest game of the season. Not really close. And to think a WSU fan's mindset, with NCAA Tournament relevance, MVC dominance, commonplace Top 25 rankings, Final Fours, and undefeated seasons, is even remotely similar to a mindset of a fan of a program who hasn't been to an NCAA Tournament in 20 years, hasn't won a Valley regular or tournament title in nearly 20 years, and has been, at best, mediocre for the better part of 2 decades, is absolutely laughable.

This is all reminding me of the Sycamore fans who crashed these boards and started ranting on and on and then disappeared a year later. Except that Indiana State at least made an NCAA Tournament.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 18th, 2017, 1:59 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Helps when you have been really good for many years consecutively

We haven't been to the NCAA's since 98. Even then, we didn't sell out....State Farm is very transient and thus no loyalty to the local division 1 college basketball program.

Also, great post RedbirdGrad.

Thanks.

I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to our fan base. There's just too many transient people between State Farm and Country, and no real loyalty to the program. The population of Bloomington/Normal is skewed due to those people, and the fan base is drawing from actual numbers than those show. Because of this transient nature, I believe the average B/N citizen is more fickle than others... and our attendance will fluctuate more than the average team's. Why drive to Redbird and walk 10 minutes in the cold from the parking lot when I have 5 college basketball games on at home among various networks on a Saturday night? When you aren't a true B/N resident... ISU means very little to you.

The outreach to Chicago, Peoria, Springfield alums will do more to boost attendance than trying to hit these executives with sweet ticket deals, etc.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » January 18th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Everyone was freaking out about ice, which never really happened.

Also, our town sucks for a fan base.[/quote]

Good honest answer. Wichita was freaking out about the ice, but it seems no matter the weather Koch Arena will be filled.[/quote]

Helps when you have been really good for many years consecutively

Also, great post RedbirdGrad.[/quote]

Since Marshall has been here. Even the year we were 11-20 we averaged over 10,000 fans. Doesn't really support your "helps when you have been really good for many years consecutively" argument.
Year Record Average Home attendance
07-08 11-20 10,478
08-09 17-17 10,095
09-10 25-10 10,333
10-11 29-8 10,428
11-12 27-6 10,391
12-13 30-9 10,312
13-14 35-1 10,732
14-15 30-5 10,806
15-16 26-9 10,806
16-17 16-4 10,866
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 2:14 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
Since Marshall has been here. Even the year we were 11-20 we averaged over 10,000 fans. Doesn't really support your "helps when you have been really good for many years consecutively" argument.
Year Record Average Home attendance
07-08 11-20 10,478
08-09 17-17 10,095
09-10 25-10 10,333
10-11 29-8 10,428
11-12 27-6 10,391
12-13 30-9 10,312
13-14 35-1 10,732
14-15 30-5 10,806
15-16 26-9 10,806
16-17 16-4 10,866

Oh nice. Thanks for clarification. Good for you guys.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » January 18th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Are most people in the Wichita area alumni, or have grown up there most of their lives? If so then it definitely makes sense why it should the hottest ticket in town since they've been been invested since they were young. Not a lot of pro sports in Kansas so it seems like Wichita and KU basketball are really what everyone pays attention to. Whereas Illinois has many D1 schools and pro sport teams that people gravitate to. It is pathetic that we can't have a better home attendance consistently but if your not invested in isu young from growing up there or an alumni then I doubt you really care to go to the game. For example I live like 20-25 minutes from Northern Illinois university and I could care less to go to a bball or football game since i never grew up right in town or am an alumni. Sorry for all the rambling not even sure if all that makes sense lol

Bottom line- I wish we had wsu attendance numbers as the kids on our team deserve better than just 4,000 seats filled or so
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » January 18th, 2017, 3:08 pm

I would say for Illinois State it's more about building a loyal fan base than getting the fans to show up at the game. That's just the reality of where we are as a basketball program. Unfortunately when it comes to numbers and enthusiasm we really are the little brother of the Illini in Central Illinois.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » January 18th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Are most people in the Wichita area alumni, or have grown up there most of their lives? If so then it definitely makes sense why it should the hottest ticket in town since they've been been invested since they were young. Not a lot of pro sports in Kansas so it seems like Wichita and KU basketball are really what everyone pays attention to. Whereas Illinois has many D1 schools and pro sport teams that people gravitate to. It is pathetic that we can't have a better home attendance consistently but if your not invested in isu young from growing up there or an alumni then I doubt you really care to go to the game. For example I live like 20-25 minutes from Northern Illinois university and I could care less to go to a bball or football game since i never grew up right in town or am an alumni. Sorry for all the rambling not even sure if all that makes sense lol

Bottom line- I wish we had wsu attendance numbers as the kids on our team deserve better than just 4,000 seats filled or so

I grew up in Wichita, but didn't go to WSU. Wanted to leave the area so I went to a D2 school in western Kansas. I became a fan because my father taught out at WSU and I started to go to games at a young age as he had faculty season tickets. Most of the people that I know that are fans grew up in the area. The company I work for has season tickets down pretty low and that is the one sporting event they do invest in. Being at a WSU game or being able to take a client is a privilege as tickets are hard to come by and pretty expensive.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 18th, 2017, 4:21 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
I grew up in Wichita, but didn't go to WSU. Wanted to leave the area so I went to a D2 school in western Kansas. I became a fan because my father taught out at WSU and I started to go to games at a young age as he had faculty season tickets. Most of the people that I know that are fans grew up in the area. The company I work for has season tickets down pretty low and that is the one sporting event they do invest in. Being at a WSU game or being able to take a client is a privilege as tickets are hard to come by and pretty expensive.

This right here is the biggest issue with ISU. Even within the city limits of B/N, people would do this exact same thing but head over to the U of I in Champaign and watch the Illini. Corporate tickets are used there, etc. It's fighting an uphill battle at ISU. Unless you attended, ISU is a second thought even within the community.

***EDITED TO ADD*** As I clicked submit on here, the banner ad at the top of the page was for an Illini basketball game. Tells you everything you need to know about the Illini footprint in Central Illinois.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball