2017 Bracketology

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2017 Bracketology

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2017, 3:41 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Red wrote:
shockem wrote:There's a real possibility that ISUr goes undefeated in league play and loses to WSU in the championship in St Louis. The proverbial shoe being on the other foot and we get 2 teams in once again. Two victories over WSU might be enough to elevate ISUr into an 8-9 seed. Not ideal for WSU but I could see this happening.

I don't give us a snowball's chance to go undefeated. It's too hard and we aren't that good frankly.

I think the game at WSU will be a tough one. Otherwise, from what I've seen, I'm beginning to wonder. WSU hasn't played MSU or SIU yet, so I haven't seen them more than a little. But I don't think ISUr is losing to anyone else. Defense travels, and ISU seems to have figured that out.

I've long been a fan of kenPom's ratings, and ISU's AdjD of 9 this far into the season is very impressive. I'd take anyone with an AdjD in the top 20 to win a LOT of games in this league.

Nice post Cdizzle. I didn't realize how high we were on AdjD. That's great. Saturday night's game is a prime example of what a good defense can do. We lose that game last year without a doubt. Our offense was piss poor. Paris Lee had like 5 turnovers and was non-existent scoring the ball. Yet, you look at the scoreboard with 2-3 minutes left and we are up 18 to a much improved Drake team.

I see losses @ WSU, @ MSU (maybe)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 23rd, 2017, 4:07 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I think the game at WSU will be a tough one. Otherwise, from what I've seen, I'm beginning to wonder. WSU hasn't played MSU or SIU yet, so I haven't seen them more than a little. But I don't think ISUr is losing to anyone else. Defense travels, and ISU seems to have figured that out.

I've long been a fan of kenPom's ratings, and ISU's AdjD of 9 this far into the season is very impressive. I'd take anyone with an AdjD in the top 20 to win a LOT of games in this league.

Hit the nail on the head here. The defense so far has prevented other teams from going on any type of run when our offense is struggling. Because of this, even when we get behind it's only by a bucket or two early. We typically can catch up after that.

I think the Birds lose in Wichita because that'll be the first really proactive crowd the team has faced this year. They just haven't been in that environment yet. They have the team that can win in Wichita, but I'm not so sure they can put it together for a full 40 over there.

Other than that, surely there's another one on the schedule that could trip them up. At Missouri State is one you could point at, but anytime you travel in the Valley you have to be prepared. Look at Wichita... head and shoulders better than Evansville, but found themselves down big early. It just happens. It's college basketball.

16-2 looks like a decent projection right now for the Birds.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » January 23rd, 2017, 4:55 pm

TheObserver wrote:How many times has a team gone undefeated in this league? Stating it's a "real possibility" for any team to do so is quite a stretch, especially only 8 games in, and especially for a team that's been inconsistent, at best, over the course of their lifetime in this conference.

Here's why I said it's a real possibility:

1. The Redbirds are very good this year. The game against WSU wasn't even close. I don't care how they've done historically, they are good this year. Just ask Drake, every dog has its day.

2. WSU has lost every game against the best teams this year. They haven't yet proven they can beat a really good team, regardless of the lopsided wins.

3. The rest of the conference pretty much sucks. There's a big gap between WSU/IL State and the rest of the league. Both IL State and WSU should win their remaining games. Anything can happen, but if they stay focused, it all comes down to the game in Wichita. I can see Loyola, maybe MSU, possibly stealing a game, but not anyone else.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » January 23rd, 2017, 11:46 pm

squirrel wrote:
TheObserver wrote:How many times has a team gone undefeated in this league? Stating it's a "real possibility" for any team to do so is quite a stretch, especially only 8 games in, and especially for a team that's been inconsistent, at best, over the course of their lifetime in this conference.

The last 3 occurrences were all in the "epic" category:

2014-15 Shockers
1985-86 Braves
1978-79 Sycamores

Thanks. I believe it was the 2013-14 Shockers though.

Regardless, that's 3 seasons in what? Over a half-century? At least in the modern era? And you're right. Each of those teams were National players. It could happen but to say it's a "real possibility" is a big stretch at this stage in the game. I mean hell, Illinois State was down big early at home to Drake, and then fought with them back and forth until late in the game. I personally don't believe Illinois State is in the same class as the teams you mentioned.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UE-grad » January 24th, 2017, 9:22 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
They don't want to compete for TV time with the big conference tourneys.

If I'm not mistaken the B1G has moved up a week this year as part of the tournament in NYC. The Big East has the last weekend rights to MSG.

Also, isn't the SEC now doing a St. Louis rotation in their tournament - therefore would have Scottrade for the week after the MVC?
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redhawk » January 24th, 2017, 9:58 am

UE-grad wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
They don't want to compete for TV time with the big conference tourneys.

If I'm not mistaken the B1G has moved up a week this year as part of the tournament in NYC. The Big East has the last weekend rights to MSG.

Also, isn't the SEC now doing a St. Louis rotation in their tournament - therefore would have Scottrade for the week after the MVC?

B1G Tournament is in DC this year. 2018 Tourney is at MSG so that one will be a week earlier.
Izzo has already complained about having to compress the conference season and then sit out the
last week like the Valley does every year!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 24th, 2017, 10:56 am

Illinois State is 0 for the McLeod Center and hasn't won in Cedar Falls since 2003. Not sure I'd automatically assume they beat UNI on the road, especially as UNI starts to figure it out...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 24th, 2017, 11:06 am

BCPanther wrote:Illinois State is 0 for the McLeod Center and hasn't won in Cedar Falls since 2003. Not sure I'd automatically assume they beat UNI on the road, especially as UNI starts to figure it out...

I'll take ISU all day and twice on Wednesday.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 24th, 2017, 12:21 pm

BCPanther wrote:Illinois State is 0 for the McLeod Center and hasn't won in Cedar Falls since 2003. Not sure I'd automatically assume they beat UNI on the road, especially as UNI starts to figure it out...

When are they going to start figuring things out?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 24th, 2017, 12:25 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:

When are they going to start figuring things out?

They have the last 2 games. They have really bought in on flopping, flailing, head-throwing, and getting tripped by court-monsters. So far, it has resulted in 2 wins they did not earn by playing basketball.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball