If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby ACECARD » March 10th, 2017, 11:38 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Others need to simply schedule better (Evansville) regardless of their potential and that discernible difference goes away with those programs.
[/quote

MVC was 1-38 in non-conference play vs Top 50

And there in lies the root cause of the MVC's problems, and people wonder why the conference is rated so low.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » March 10th, 2017, 11:41 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Others need to simply schedule better (Evansville) regardless of their potential and that discernible difference goes away with those programs.

Evansville had the 2nd hardest non-conference SOS in the conference?

There were only 3 schools that scheduled bad:

SWMO: 331
DU: 212
LUC: 279

The really problem is the league is they need to win their game in non-conference.

MVC was 1-38 in non-conference play vs Top 50

Yay Indiana State for that one win!
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » April 4th, 2017, 10:28 am

Final numbers with 2017 in the books:

RPI: Wichita State 29, Illinois State 39
KenPom: Wichita State 8, Illinois State 49

RPIs across the Conference:

Wichita State 29
Illinois State 39
SIU 147
UNI 159
Loyola 184
Evansville 192
Missouri State 211
Bradley 219
Indiana State 232
Drake 316

The MVC finished 12th in Conference RPI.

*everything above taken from WarrenNolan
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 4th, 2017, 11:37 am

The 5th best RPI in the Colonial was better than the 3rd best RPI in the MVC.

There's your problems.

RPI 150 teams need to be 125.
RPI 200 teams need to be 150.
RPI 250 teams need to be 200.

Incremental steps forward.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Is there a site where I can "build" a conference for these RPI comparisons. I know rpiforcast lets me add/drop a handful of games but is there a program to "build" entire conferences and sim what the RPI would be?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 12:26 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:The 5th best RPI in the Colonial was better than the 3rd best RPI in the MVC.

There's your problems.

Yep.

The best way to move those 125s to top 75-100, and 150s to 125s and so on is to keep teams from being freaking RPI anchors.

Look at the history of the MVCs RPI. The top 2 or 3 (even 4 some years) are still where they usually have been. The issue is the bottom has fallen out and so everyone is drug down a bunch of spots.

Having Drake and Bradley stop being 260-300+ every damn year would go further than spots 4-6 moving from 150-175 to 100-125 on their own.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » April 4th, 2017, 12:50 pm

uniftw wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The 5th best RPI in the Colonial was better than the 3rd best RPI in the MVC.

There's your problems.

Yep.

The best way to move those 125s to top 75-100, and 150s to 125s and so on is to keep teams from being freaking RPI anchors.

Look at the history of the MVCs RPI. The top 2 or 3 (even 4 some years) are still where they usually have been. The issue is the bottom has fallen out and so everyone is drug down a bunch of spots.

Having Drake and Bradley stop being 260-300+ every damn year would go further than spots 4-6 moving from 150-175 to 100-125 on their own.

I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 1:09 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
uniftw wrote:

There's your problems.

Yep.

I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.
Bradley is the one private school I feel can actually help the conference. UE and Loyola are...well...we've beaten them enough. Drake has this "thing" that MVC fans love to try to talk about as being a real thing, but it's not. The Knapp Center is hideous. It's been a few generations since they were good, and their admin might be the most incompetent in the conference.

In another thread I created a "what if" conference. I left Bradley as a "maybe" but the more I think about them, the more I think eventually they'll get it right. They truly have the capacity ($, facilities and alumni/fan base) to do it right when it happens.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 4th, 2017, 1:18 pm

uniftw wrote:I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.
Bradley is the one private school I feel can actually help the conference. UE and Loyola are...well...we've beaten them enough. Drake has this "thing" that MVC fans love to try to talk about as being a real thing, but it's not. The Knapp Center is hideous. It's been a few generations since they were good, and their admin might be the most incompetent in the conference.

In another thread I created a "what if" conference. I left Bradley as a "maybe" but the more I think about them, the more I think eventually they'll get it right. They truly have the capacity ($, facilities and alumni/fan base) to do it right when it happens.[/quote]

Bradley hasn't been out of the top three in the league in home attendance in, well, ever. They were third this year and were awful.

Their attendance #'s this year were better than anyone in the Horizon and Summit. Behind only Ohio U in the MAC and would have been fifth in the A10 (Dayton, Richmond, SLU, VCU) and sixth in the AAC (Cincy, Memphis, UConn, SMU, Temple).
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 4th, 2017, 2:41 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
uniftw wrote:I would expect Bradley to take a nice step forward this coming season assuming their schedule isn't made by Marty.

In another thread I created a "what if" conference. I left Bradley as a "maybe" but the more I think about them, the more I think eventually they'll get it right. They truly have the capacity ($, facilities and alumni/fan base) to do it right when it happens.

Bradley hasn't been out of the top three in the league in home attendance in, well, ever. They were third this year and were awful.

Their attendance #'s this year were better than anyone in the Horizon and Summit. Behind only Ohio U in the MAC and would have been fifth in the A10 (Dayton, Richmond, SLU, VCU) and sixth in the AAC (Cincy, Memphis, UConn, SMU, Temple).[/quote]
Yeah. I'm calling shenanigans on Bradley's attendance numbers though. I watched enough games to know what the crowds actually looked like. However, the point is valid.

If I was picking current MVC members to "reboot" the MVC I'd start with UNI, WSU, Bradley, ISUr....SIU and MSU would get consideration but I'm not sure.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball