Arch madness seeding

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Arch madness seeding

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 13th, 2017, 9:24 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
jegbomb52 wrote:I guess in all the conference bashing on here Panther fans get a little sick of being lumped into the "crap side" of the conversation. We are truly the only school who has kept the Valley afloat in the last decade other than Wichita. Sorry our worst season we have had in recent memory which was supposed to be a rebuilding year turned into a rebuilding 8 weeks, not that we're where we want to be but we are at least back to the point of beating all the inferior Valley teams, which i'm pretty sure is all Illinois State and Wichita State are hanging their hat on this year. Posts like the one from WSU fan above at least give credit where credit was due.

Feel free to blast away now and call me a troll, or trying to stir the pot, just remember I really haven't said anything that isn't true, or left out any accomplishments from any other team. I'm a fan of a team that I want to get respect, just like anyone else.

Key distinction that is missing here. UNI needs to be an AT LARGE team every year, or at least in the conversation for most of the year, for them to "help keep the Valley afloat". Tanking midway through the season only to get hot for a weekend does absolutely nothing to help the conference and in fact really hurts the conference. So yes, you did say something that is incorrect. 2015 was great, 2016 was not, 2017 is not even if they win Arch Madness again. Out of Jacobsen's 10 years, how many at large quality teams has he had? 3 maybe?

Of his 4 auto seasons 3 were at-large quality. How many teams in the league also have 3 at-large quality seasons in that period that aren't WSU?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » February 13th, 2017, 9:29 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
jegbomb52 wrote:I guess in all the conference bashing on here Panther fans get a little sick of being lumped into the "crap side" of the conversation. We are truly the only school who has kept the Valley afloat in the last decade other than Wichita. Sorry our worst season we have had in recent memory which was supposed to be a rebuilding year turned into a rebuilding 8 weeks, not that we're where we want to be but we are at least back to the point of beating all the inferior Valley teams, which i'm pretty sure is all Illinois State and Wichita State are hanging their hat on this year. Posts like the one from WSU fan above at least give credit where credit was due.

Feel free to blast away now and call me a troll, or trying to stir the pot, just remember I really haven't said anything that isn't true, or left out any accomplishments from any other team. I'm a fan of a team that I want to get respect, just like anyone else.

Key distinction that is missing here. UNI needs to be an AT LARGE team every year, or at least in the conversation for most of the year, for them to "help keep the Valley afloat". Tanking midway through the season only to get hot for a weekend does absolutely nothing to help the conference and in fact really hurts the conference. So yes, you did say something that is incorrect. 2015 was great, 2016 was not, 2017 is not even if they win Arch Madness again. Out of Jacobsen's 10 years, how many at large quality teams has he had? 3 maybe?

Of his 4 auto seasons 3 were at-large quality. How many teams in the league also have 3 at-large quality seasons in that period that aren't WSU?

Creighton if you count them .. other than Creighton .. No one has helped the Valley including UNI. 30% at large rate isn't something to hang your hat on. Being the best of crap, doesn't make you good (see UNI this year).
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 13th, 2017, 9:31 am

Stickboy46 wrote:Creighton if you count them .. other than Creighton .. No one has helped the Valley including UNI. 30% at large rate isn't something to hang your hat on. Being the best of crap, doesn't make you good (see UNI this year).

Got it.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 13th, 2017, 10:06 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:Creighton if you count them .. other than Creighton .. No one has helped the Valley including UNI. 30% at large rate isn't something to hang your hat on. Being the best of crap, doesn't make you good (see UNI this year).

Got it.

Glad to see you could come back to reality.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » February 13th, 2017, 10:09 am

MVC records over the last 9

Wichita 8-1
IL St 8-1
UNI 8-1
Loyola 4-5
SIU 4-5
InSU 4-5
MSU 3-6
E'ville 3-6
Drake 2-7
Bradley 1-8
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby anderjao » February 13th, 2017, 10:10 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
jegbomb52 wrote:UNI needs to be an AT LARGE team every year, or at least in the conversation for most of the year, for them to "help keep the Valley afloat".

I wish UNI was an at-large quality team every year, but I don't think I agree with your assumption, unless your definition of helping "keep the Valley afloat" means boosting everyone's RPI (which I again wish was the case). If you mean giving the Valley respect in the eyes of college basketball fans and the tournament committee, I think UNI has definitely helped, even during years like last year when we weren't consistent. Any year the Valley can get multiple bids to the NCAA tournament is a win. Every year the Valley can have multiple teams win games in the NCAA tournament is a win, and raises the national profile of the conference. Winning against #1 UNC and a ranked Iowa State team are wins for the Valley, even if UNI's rough stretch last season cost the league some RPI numbers.

This year could be different. UNI lacks marquee wins that bring attention to the conference. If winning at St. Louis knocks WSU or ISU out of the tournament, it might not help the Valley. But if WSU and ISU have a strong enough resume to get at-large bids while UNI (or another team) gets hot and runs the table in St. Louis, that's a good year for the Valley.
anderjao
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Stickboy46 » February 13th, 2017, 10:16 am

anderjao wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
jegbomb52 wrote:UNI needs to be an AT LARGE team every year, or at least in the conversation for most of the year, for them to "help keep the Valley afloat".

I wish UNI was an at-large quality team every year, but I don't think I agree with your assumption, unless your definition of helping "keep the Valley afloat" means boosting everyone's RPI (which I again wish was the case). If you mean giving the Valley respect in the eyes of college basketball fans and the tournament committee, I think UNI has definitely helped, even during years like last year when we weren't consistent. Any year the Valley can get multiple bids to the NCAA tournament is a win. Every year the Valley can have multiple teams win games in the NCAA tournament is a win, and raises the national profile of the conference. Winning against #1 UNC and a ranked Iowa State team are wins for the Valley, even if UNI's rough stretch last season cost the league some RPI numbers.

This year could be different. UNI lacks marquee wins that bring attention to the conference. If winning at St. Louis knocks WSU or ISU out of the tournament, it might not help the Valley. But if WSU and ISU have a strong enough resume to get at-large bids while UNI (or another team) gets hot and runs the table in St. Louis, that's a good year for the Valley.

I mean Helping the Valley qualify for more at larges. NCAA tourney wins are great and all, but do zero to help the at large profile because, you know, they happen AFTER the whole at large thing is decided. Stealing a bid when you aren't deserving of an at large isn't helping the conference. We got zero teams in the sweet 16 last year. Without UNI tanking mid year, the 2 losses to UNI probably wouldn't have put WSU in the First Four and 90% chance they end up in the sweet 16.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 13th, 2017, 11:12 am

I mean, if UNI is that terrible, win the damn game on your own floor.

Dude, I loved your interaction when you used to come over to PN, you really offered something, but you're off the deep end right now...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » February 13th, 2017, 11:16 am

BCPanther wrote:I mean, if UNI is that terrible, win the damn game on your own floor.

Dude, I loved your interaction when you used to come over to PN, you really offered something, but you're off the deep end right now...

Nah, just being realistic. I'm all for teams being good. Which you have spurts of that. The thing that really bothers me is the constant talk of UNI "helping out the conference" so much. They have done very little of that. That's the thing that bothers me.

I agree, we should win on our own floor. Though having a horrible shooting day shouldn't doom our season because you guys can't play a consistent game all year.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 13th, 2017, 11:28 am

BCPanther wrote:I mean, if UNI is that terrible, win the damn game on your own floor.

Again, the argument UNI fans keep coming back to is "just go undefeated then." Which kind of helps prove the point about not being any help, not disprove it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball