Arch madness seeding

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Arch madness seeding

Postby Cdizzle » February 12th, 2017, 9:45 pm

I see we've found the replacements for Creighton that think winning the Valley tournament is the most impressive thing ever.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 12th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I see we've found the replacements for Creighton that think winning the Valley tournament is the most impressive thing ever.

Unlike Creighton, we'd have gotten an at large in two of those four years...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheObserver » February 12th, 2017, 10:35 pm

jegbomb52 wrote:It really wasn't intended to be smack but if you are so concerned about the overall performance of Arch Madness by our schools now might be a good time to point out that we've won more titles in the last decade than the blessed Wichita State and Illinois State combined have in 25 years. I'm sure it's just because we've flopped our way to the championship though. If you don't count Thursday night wins (which we don't get many of those opportunities) I bet 4 year winless streaks have happened a lot.

Good Lord, is that how you define your history? With Arch Madness smack-a-roo?

You're making Creighton fans look like geniuses.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Blers » February 13th, 2017, 12:38 am

The smack talk on this board is so cringy. "Wichita/Illinois state have a recent history of struggling in the Valley Tournament"

"YOUR TEAM IS TRASH WHAT HAS YOUR PROGRAM DONE DON'T TALK BAD ABOUT US"

Just REEEEEEEEEEELAX. Especially in a season where half the talk has been "win in STL because there's no guarantee of an at large bid." The point is worth bringing up. It's crap like this that keeps people from wanting to talk hoops.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUFAN » February 13th, 2017, 12:53 am

I agree some of the smack talk on here is over the top. I too just want to talk hoops.

I for one WSU fan sure hopes UNI beats ISUR on the last day of the season. Several weeks ago I said UNI would be the third seed and I don't want to play them on Sat. The difference between ISUR and WSU is minimal, I think we have a slight edge w/ MM out and don't expect him to be full speed even when he comes back (which I regret) I want to play the best at full strength. However, one of these teams will definitely have a tougher semi final game if UNI keeps playing well and let's face it they have had more success in St. Louis than any other current Valley team and that is a fact.
WSUFAN
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby jegbomb52 » February 13th, 2017, 5:44 am

I agree Arch Madness smack talk is a little much. I was echoing statements made by WIchita Fans and Illinois State fans I have seen about their early exit from the conference tournament over recent years. If my team didn't perform well at arch madness I would probably de-value it as well. It was Observer who took the jab about a four year winless streak and brought facts into the argument. If you are going to poke a team about Arch Madness performance, UNI is really the only team you probably shouldn't do that too.

How should our Valley teams be measuring themselves? Wichita State made a historic final four run recently, of course that was the marquee year of a Valley team in recent memory and no one will argue that. Other than that Wichita and UNI have the only resume's that include recent NCAA wins even Bradley's sweet sixteen run is wearing old being over a decade ago, (hell even UNI's 2010 run is getting there).

I guess in all the conference bashing on here Panther fans get a little sick of being lumped into the "crap side" of the conversation. We are truly the only school who has kept the Valley afloat in the last decade other than Wichita. Sorry our worst season we have had in recent memory which was supposed to be a rebuilding year turned into a rebuilding 8 weeks, not that we're where we want to be but we are at least back to the point of beating all the inferior Valley teams, which i'm pretty sure is all Illinois State and Wichita State are hanging their hat on this year. Posts like the one from WSU fan above at least give credit where credit was due.

Feel free to blast away now and call me a troll, or trying to stir the pot, just remember I really haven't said anything that isn't true, or left out any accomplishments from any other team. I'm a fan of a team that I want to get respect, just like anyone else.
jegbomb52
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby squirrel » February 13th, 2017, 8:39 am

Back in the '90's, when both ISU and Bradley were good, both sides generally rooted for the other, unless they played each other. And one of the things that is unique to the Valley, is that generally we all support our league reps in the postseason, regardless of how much we despise them in league :)
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » February 13th, 2017, 8:44 am

squirrel wrote:Back in the '90's, when both ISU and Bradley were good, both sides generally rooted for the other, unless they played each other. And one of the things that is unique to the Valley, is that generally we all support our league reps in the postseason, regardless of how much we despise them in league :)

Uhhh...speak for yourself. Actually, I do really miss the buzz of college basketball around the Peoria area. As much as I didn't care for BU or the crying illini, their was a lot of excitement in the air and always someone around that wanted to talk buckets.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » February 13th, 2017, 8:57 am

WSUFAN wrote:I agree some of the smack talk on here is over the top. I too just want to talk hoops.

I for one WSU fan sure hopes UNI beats ISUR on the last day of the season. Several weeks ago I said UNI would be the third seed and I don't want to play them on Sat. The difference between ISUR and WSU is minimal, I think we have a slight edge w/ MM out and don't expect him to be full speed even when he comes back (which I regret) I want to play the best at full strength. However, one of these teams will definitely have a tougher semi final game if UNI keeps playing well and let's face it they have had more success in St. Louis than any other current Valley team and that is a fact.

In seriousness, I think this is the fear for both WSU and ISU-playing UNI on Saturday in St. Louis. Not that they are necessarily worried about losing to UNI, but that UNI is back to playing a grinding style and it would be the type of game that could take a lot out of whoever plays them. WSU seems much deeper and capable of dealing with a grinder game, but it is a factor.

Of course saying that, the fact is Jacobson has 4 Valley tournament titles in his 10 trips to St. Louis. In his other 6 appearances, he has 1 win. So there's a decent chance UNI is one and done.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » February 13th, 2017, 9:18 am

jegbomb52 wrote:I guess in all the conference bashing on here Panther fans get a little sick of being lumped into the "crap side" of the conversation. We are truly the only school who has kept the Valley afloat in the last decade other than Wichita. Sorry our worst season we have had in recent memory which was supposed to be a rebuilding year turned into a rebuilding 8 weeks, not that we're where we want to be but we are at least back to the point of beating all the inferior Valley teams, which i'm pretty sure is all Illinois State and Wichita State are hanging their hat on this year. Posts like the one from WSU fan above at least give credit where credit was due.

Feel free to blast away now and call me a troll, or trying to stir the pot, just remember I really haven't said anything that isn't true, or left out any accomplishments from any other team. I'm a fan of a team that I want to get respect, just like anyone else.

Key distinction that is missing here. UNI needs to be an AT LARGE team every year, or at least in the conversation for most of the year, for them to "help keep the Valley afloat". Tanking midway through the season only to get hot for a weekend does absolutely nothing to help the conference and in fact really hurts the conference. So yes, you did say something that is incorrect. 2015 was great, 2016 was not, 2017 is not even if they win Arch Madness again. Out of Jacobsen's 10 years, how many at large quality teams has he had? 3 maybe?
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball