Northern Iowa
16%
Someone Else
13%

Total votes : 77

Re: Who wins in St. Louis

Postby jegbomb52 » February 17th, 2017, 8:59 am

Horn28Clem30 wrote:
municup14 wrote:I believe it will boil down to three teams.Wichita has talent,a good coach,but
No leadership at the point.
Illinois St. has talent,great leader in Lee,but I don't believe the coach is that good.
N Iowa has a couple of good players,not very good gaurd play,but has the best coach.
Those are my three teams who I believe can win. :Yea!:

Has the best coach!? Anything you now say is completely going to be ignored after that statement.

You make it sound like Coach Jake isn't in the conversation for the best coach in the Valley. My opinion is that he is easily the best coach, especially given the talent and money that Marshall has in Wichita. If you agree with that or not isn't really the issue, to say he isn't in the conversation though, and that someone who believes he is the best coach has lost all credibility is kind of funny. You could probably take a poll right now and find that most of this board believes the best coach to reside in Cedar Falls, IA.
jegbomb52
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Horn28Clem30 » February 17th, 2017, 9:21 am

There's a reason that every time a power 5 job comes up, Marshall is always listed as a "great fit". He's one of the best recruiter and one of the best coaches in the nation. I'm being serious when I ask this...when is the last time Jacobson what mentioned in connection to any power 5 job opening?
Horn28Clem30
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 9:21 am

jegbomb52 wrote:
Horn28Clem30 wrote:
municup14 wrote:I believe it will boil down to three teams.Wichita has talent,a good coach,but
Illinois St. has talent,great leader in Lee,but I don't believe the coach is that good.
N Iowa has a couple of good players,not very good gaurd play,but has the best coach.

Has the best coach!? Anything you now say is completely going to be ignored after that statement.

You make it sound like Coach Jake isn't in the conversation for the best coach in the Valley. My opinion is that he is easily the best coach, especially given the talent and money that Marshall has in Wichita. If you agree with that or not isn't really the issue, to say he isn't in the conversation though, and that someone who believes he is the best coach has lost all credibility is kind of funny. You could probably take a poll right now and find that most of this board believes the best coach to reside in Cedar Falls, IA.

Most of the board being wrong doesn't make it right. Also, why does Marshall get talent and money used against him when those things are there because of him? This is college basketball. Coaching involves calling plays out of timeouts and teaching defensive schemes. It also involves recruiting, fundraising, glad-handing, and scheduling.

They took a poll and called Barry Hinson the best coach in the league last year. Anybody think those people were right?

We have objective metrics. We don't have to use the "all the other teams are tired of WSU so will vote for anyone not associate with that school" method. I mean, I'm sure you can. And it might make you feel better. I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that the coach with the .942 win percentage in league the last 4 years is probably the best coach in said league.

If Evansville fans were great evaluators of coaching, I'd guess we wouldn't be headed towards Year 11 of Marty-ball.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheObserver » February 17th, 2017, 9:40 am

jegbomb52 wrote:
Horn28Clem30 wrote:

Easily the best coach in the Valley? Are you effing kidding me?

And this is why UNI fans get a bad rep. Just completely absurd, overblown opinions.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Stickboy46 » February 17th, 2017, 9:46 am

jegbomb52 wrote:
Horn28Clem30 wrote:

Easily the best coach in the Valley ... As long as you aren't counting January as part of the basketball season.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » February 17th, 2017, 9:52 am

I believe the thinking goes that Jacobsen is better than Marshall because Marshall has more talented players. It's easier for Marshall to win than for Jacobsen to win. Since UNI is typically in the upper 1/3 of the league, therefore Jacobsen must be a better X's and O's guy than Marshall because of the talent disparity.

What that line of thinking completely ignores is that winning opens the door to getting better recruits. Marshall had to prove he could win on stages bigger than the Valley. That's when his ability to recruit better players appeared.

Marshall had to be the X's and O's guy BEFORE he was able to get the level of recruits he's getting now. Just because he now has better recruits doesn't mean that his X's and O's ability has diminished.

In the F4 year, Marshall was in contention for National Coach of the Year. The next year, he got it. Jacobsen is in annual contention for MVC CoY. Coaches get consideration for MVC CoY for finishing above pre-season expectations. That eliminates Marshall. It's hard to finish above first.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 9:54 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
jegbomb52 wrote:
Horn28Clem30 wrote:

Easily the best coach in the Valley ... As long as you aren't counting January as part of the basketball season.

Or December.

Or when they play one of the good teams.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 17th, 2017, 10:00 am

7 Shocker fans went on attack mode there. Let's try again and see how many this can get...

Wichita State has the ugliest cheerleaders in the Valley.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » February 17th, 2017, 10:00 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:7 Shocker fans went on attack mode there. Let's try again and see how many this can get...

Check yourself! Those girls are fine AND dandy!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 17th, 2017, 10:02 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:7 Shocker fans went on attack mode there. Let's try again and see how many this can get...

Whoa Whoa whoa .. They aren't amazing .. but have you SEEN the type of kids that go to UNI? eek..
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball