16%
Someone Else
13%

Total votes : 77

Re: Who wins in St. Louis

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 11:30 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:Who wins in STL:
The Shockers are playing BY FAR the best basketball in the Valley right now. I have to go with Wichita.

Best Coach:
As stated earlier by someone, coaching is also recruiting. Jacobson is good at X's and O's, but IMHO lacks in recruiting. Marshall does both well, extremely well. Advantage Marshall. (Side note, this is where Lusk and Muller get lumped in as "Bad" coaches because their X's and O's struggle. They are very good recruiters though. Almost the opposite of Jacobson)

Best looking Cheerleaders:
I will answer this after my trip to STL in two weeks.

One could argue that Jacobson is exceptional at recruiting the type of players that thrive in his system. He doesn't get the most athletic kids out there, but they do well in the team environment. They also buy into his team first and defense first system. You may not think they are the most talented, but it does take at least some talent to beat the likes of Iowa, Iowa State, North Carolina, Texas etc.

OK, so he's a great recruiter and a crappy Xs and Os coach.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » February 17th, 2017, 12:39 pm

uniftw wrote:JacobsOn.

IDGAF who if you want to fight over the better coach, at least get the guys name right.

He's the longest tenured coach in the league at 11 years.
He's been at UNI 16 years
He's won the COY 3 times
He's top 6 all time in total wins and conference wins as a head coach.

Believe Marshall is the better coach, IDGAF. I have no opinion on it. Just get his name right. It's not like he's brand new to the league.

Marshall is the second longest tenured coach in the MVC at 10 years. Nine more at Winthrop.
Won COY 3 times and National COY once.
He's 4 all time in total wins and conference wins as a head coach.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sivert » February 17th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Comparing coaches is apples and oranges. Or cucumbers, as the case may be. I think it's more important to recognize that Jacobson has a system that is challenging to learn and execute and only works well when it is running really well.
UNI has a lot of new faces this year. Spencer, Luke, Jordan, Hunter, Juwan, are all playing for the first time in a Panther uniform this year. That said, UNI has a long way to go offensively to compete tomorrow or Saturday in STL.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » February 17th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Wufan wrote:

IDGAF who if you want to fight over the better coach, at least get the guys name right.

He's won the COY 3 times

Believe Marshall is the better coach, IDGAF. I have no opinion on it. Just get his name right. It's not like he's brand new to the league.

Marshall is the second longest tenured coach in the MVC at 10 years. Nine more at Winthrop.

Fantastic.

Are people spelling his name wrong with every post? No? Great

My post was giving reasons he shouldn't have his name spelled wrong. He isn't new around here.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm

uniftw wrote:
Wufan wrote:

He's won the COY 3 times

Fantastic.

Are people spelling his name wrong with every post? No? Great

My post was giving reasons he shouldn't have his name spelled wrong. He isn't new around here.

Actually, pretty much. Also, when your own fan base calls him "Jake" you can lose some of the spelling-smack high ground.

Salty.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » February 17th, 2017, 1:04 pm

sivert wrote:Comparing coaches is apples and oranges. Or cucumbers, as the case may be. I think it's more important to recognize that Jacobson has a system that is challenging to learn and execute and only works well when it is running really well.
UNI has a lot of new faces this year. Spencer, Luke, Jordan, Hunter, Juwan, are all playing for the first time in a Panther uniform this year. That said, UNI has a long way to go offensively to compete tomorrow or Saturday in STL.

I'm pretty sure Marshall's system isn't a cake-walk either.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 1:06 pm

sivert wrote:Comparing coaches is apples and oranges. Or cucumbers, as the case may be. I think it's more important to recognize that Jacobson has a system that is challenging to learn and execute and only works well when it is running really well.

So, he is a great coach because he runs a system that is too hard for him to implement consistently?

There are a lot of interesting arguments being made.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 17th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Dan Muller is best all around Coach in the Valley....easy.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 1:17 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Dan Muller is best all around Coach in the Valley....easy.

False.

And Barry Hinson has the trophy to prove it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » February 17th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Spelling smack from an NIU fan...

:Bam:

*Wow. That's classic. I typed "NIU" and it auto-corrects to "UNI". That's funny! :)

**Geez... The site literally won't let you give them the wrong initials. Did Jacobsen request that mod?
Last edited by Redbird Recon on February 17th, 2017, 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball