Annual Gregg Marshall Departure Watch

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Annual Gregg Marshall Departure Watch

Postby Stickboy46 » February 20th, 2017, 1:37 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:
WSpringsBird wrote:It's starting up again. Or, anyway, this is the first article I've seen this year. Maybe there are others. Hard to believe he would leave Wichita for NC State.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... g-marshall

He didn't go to NC State last time. And why would any coach worth a damn want to go to a place where they will fire you mid season with a young team after going to the tourney in 4 out of 5 years? Good luck getting a good coach NC State

Agreed.

And the Shox are LOADED for next season. Maybe if Indiana gets rid of Crean and goes after Marshall but I don't see that as a good fit anyway.

If NC State would have waited a year, I think they would possibly have had a chance at Marshall. He is from that area, but failed once to get him. Next year Gregg will have a preseason Top 15-25 team returning. His daughter is a Junior in HS this year. His wife still loves it here. I think the wife could be convinced to move back "home" though. I don't think he will want to dump what is one of his best teams ever along with moving Maggie her senior year.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » February 20th, 2017, 2:25 pm

This is all silly because Gregg's not taking or being offered that job but anywho unless who ever is willing to offer 3.5-4 per on a 7 year deal, 3G ain't going any place.

If you know him, you know he ain't taking a pay cut, especially to rebuild.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 20th, 2017, 3:02 pm

It's getting to the point where it feels like Gregg and Jake are both lifers at their current schools.

They've both had offers and both have decided to stay where they're at. They both make very comfortable livings and are never going to be in a situation where there is any external pressure on them. Kind of a dream scenario for both of them.

Muller could be a guy that looks if Illinois State can't find more money.

Lansing, I suppose, could have some interest from other places, I know Tulane kicked the tires last year but this year's team isn't helping that at all.

The other 6 are more likely to get fired than they are for anybody to look at them, IMO...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » February 20th, 2017, 5:03 pm

About the only schools that could really make a run at Marshall are too arrogant and elitist to stoop to a coach that doesn't have the proper pedigree (their school's pedigree, of course). Marshall's son, Kellen, wants to go into coaching and is currently working with the Shox as a manager. He's a student at WSU.

Marshall could stick around until he can turn it over to his son. His son could probably find a couple of guys with great BBIQ and some NBA experience to help out.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » February 21st, 2017, 5:54 am

The only way I see Marshall leaving is if someone makes
Him the highest paid coach.Look at him,he has it made at
Wichita,gets paid really well for a mid major team.The other
Reason why he would is for a shot at a NCAA title,which would
Be harder at Wichita than a ACC or other basketball school
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » February 21st, 2017, 3:14 pm

2livewu wrote:This is all silly because Gregg's not taking or being offered that job but anywho unless who ever is willing to offer 3.5-4 per on a 7 year deal, 3G ain't going any place.

And we all know how much Ggreg's wife loves to talk about how much money he makes. :Cheers:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2017, 3:46 pm

uniftw wrote:
2livewu wrote:This is all silly because Gregg's not taking or being offered that job but anywho unless who ever is willing to offer 3.5-4 per on a 7 year deal, 3G ain't going any place.

And we all know how much Ggreg's

See. Isn't this much more fun? :buddies:
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » February 22nd, 2017, 4:08 pm

I think Archie Miller could be the NC State target since he played there. If Thad Matta retires (due to pain issues) at tOSU they could also target Archie but I have read Chris Jent has the inside track for the Bucknut job.

The Illinois scuttlebutt mentions Marshall but only as an extreme longshot due to his comfort level at WSU.

I haven't followed the Indiana rumors closely but I got to think Crean seat is scorching hot - IU with their basketball pedigree and fans could potentially put a package together that would tempt Marshall (or at least his wife).
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 4:20 pm

UEACES80 wrote:I think Archie Miller could be the NC State target since he played there. If Thad Matta retires (due to pain issues) at tOSU they could also target Archie but I have read Chris Jent has the inside track for the Bucknut job.

The Illinois scuttlebutt mentions Marshall but only as an extreme longshot due to his comfort level at WSU.

I haven't followed the Indiana rumors closely but I got to think Crean seat is scorching hot - IU with their basketball pedigree and fans could potentially put a package together that would tempt Marshall (or at least his wife).

I believe Indiana would owe a $4m buy out.

I'm sure they have donors to do it, but is a $4m buy out plus what would likely have to be $6m a year in salary, plus assistant pay, going to be "feasible" for Indiana to go after Marshall? Realistically it's going to be 12-13 million in year one to grab Marshall for them right now.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » February 22nd, 2017, 4:46 pm

Wichita has the Koch Brothers / though not in their financial neighborhood Mark Cuban can pony up a lot of cash. Additionally many of their alumni would steal from their kids piggy banks if they thought it might help bring IU back to the days of Bobby Knight.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball