Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby Haha » March 24th, 2017, 6:17 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:If I heard correctly, the AAC meeting will take place next week.

Heard from whom? A connected source, media, fan forum. Just curious as to what level I should allow my excitement to be.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 24th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Could be wrong but I think it was from the radio guy who worked in the press box at Eck Stadium Wednesday. It was the topic of conversation, of course, during the WSU baseball game. I know that's not New York Times level of corroboration, but this isn't the New York Times website.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 25th, 2017, 6:25 am

Haha wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:If I heard correctly, the AAC meeting will take place next week.

Heard from whom? A connected source, media, fan forum. Just curious as to what level I should allow my excitement to be.

I actually thought it was in May, but can't remember.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » March 25th, 2017, 7:07 am

If Wichita gets invited then what.Do they join this year or next.
If they join after next year can the Valley say your not eligible for our
Conference this coming year or not.Does anyone remember when
Creighton left was it effective immediately or was it 2 years away.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 25th, 2017, 7:41 am

municup14 wrote:If Wichita gets invited then what.Do they join this year or next.
If they join after next year can the Valley say your not eligible for our
Conference this coming year or not.Does anyone remember when
Creighton left was it effective immediately or was it 2 years away.

Creighton announced in March and moved in August. That was a little different though because the Big East only had seven teams. There is much debate for what this would mean for WSU as far as when.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 25th, 2017, 8:13 am

If WSU gets an invite for 17-18 on June 1, would the MVC be prepared to replace them this year? I'd have to think no.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » March 25th, 2017, 8:36 am

Wufan wrote:If WSU gets an invite for 17-18 on June 1, would the MVC be prepared to replace them this year? I'd have to think no.

They would have to play with 9 because I see one big catfight on the horizon for the remaining MVC schools...a fight that would make the Dems and Republicans in Washington look like compromising lovebirds.

The football driven publics, notable ILSU and UNI will want the Dakotas. The privates will want a Belmont. You could possibly go to 12 and try to appease both, but Belmont wasn't thrilled about sending the softball team to Cedar Falls before, they certainly wouldn't want to ship them to Fargo.

If there was a clear replacement, then they could possibly pull it off, but there isn't. For everyones sake though, if WSU does receive and accepts an invite, they need to get on with it for next season. Like a divorce, there really isn't any peace until someone actually moves out. Deciding to divorce, but continuing to share a bedroom isn't a good place for either party.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » March 25th, 2017, 9:09 am

SubGod22 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Hello guys - long time, no see!

I came back to read up on WSU's potential move and to see if Drake was going to hire our assistant as their new HC.

I have a question on the whole WSU to the AAC --- MONEY!!!

Anyone have any idea how much of the TV money WSU would receive if they made the move? The AAc's TV contract is for football and basketball. We all know that football is more valuable to TV networks than hoops (which sucks!). I suspect that the AAC contract doesn't divide out the monies to say x% is for football and y% is for basketball, so it probably isn't as simple as saying that WSU gets one full share of the basketball money.

As a result, 1) what percentage of a full share do we think WSU would be likely to get and 2) what is fair for them to ask for? Also, does WSU get a full share of the NCAA tourney credits earned and banked to date or only an equal share for all units earned AFTER they join. If there is a hold up in taking WSU, I suspect these are the issues that would cause the holdup. Thoughts?

The working theory is that Wichita would get around 30% of a share of the TV money. I believe that is about what the Big East had before it split. I believe that would be around $600k under their current deal. Which is definitely better than what we get from the MVC.

I don't have anything for the second part of your question. Personally, I'm fine with whatever they'd decide as the future is what's important and if we have to sacrifice a few things early so be it. And considering the run that next years team will be capable of, I'd prefer to be in the AAC next year so we don't leave behind what could be generated there. I also believe the AAC has a more favorable distribution of credits earned than the MVC does so that would be nice.

Thanks Sub.

If 30% is the magic number, does WSU expect to start getting 30% from day 1? Would WSU be willing to wait to get any payout until the current TV contract expires and is replaced with a new one? I could be wrong, but I don't see ESPN, especially in the present environment where they are hemorrhaging cash and tanking Disney's stock value, agreeing to pay more in the middle of a contract period for a non-football addition. It may also be a stretch to believe the other conference schools will be willing to give up a portion of the monies they are currently due (budgets have already been established counting on that money).

I could be totally wrong, but I would think that if a move were to happen, it wouldn't be until a new contract is set to start so the current conference members do not have to literally give up money to add another school (unless, of course, WSU agrees to accept zero dollars until the current contract expires, which would seemingly be pretty unlikely because they wouldn't be getting MVC NCAA tourney units distributed during that period either...)
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 25th, 2017, 9:14 am

Maybe this has been asked before. If Marshall would leave this year would WSU still look at leaving?
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 25th, 2017, 9:26 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Hello guys - long time, no see!

I came back to read up on WSU's potential move and to see if Drake was going to hire our assistant as their new HC.

I have a question on the whole WSU to the AAC --- MONEY!!!

Anyone have any idea how much of the TV money WSU would receive if they made the move? The AAc's TV contract is for football and basketball. We all know that football is more valuable to TV networks than hoops (which sucks!). I suspect that the AAC contract doesn't divide out the monies to say x% is for football and y% is for basketball, so it probably isn't as simple as saying that WSU gets one full share of the basketball money.

As a result, 1) what percentage of a full share do we think WSU would be likely to get and 2) what is fair for them to ask for? Also, does WSU get a full share of the NCAA tourney credits earned and banked to date or only an equal share for all units earned AFTER they join. If there is a hold up in taking WSU, I suspect these are the issues that would cause the holdup. Thoughts?

The working theory is that Wichita would get around 30% of a share of the TV money. I believe that is about what the Big East had before it split. I believe that would be around $600k under their current deal. Which is definitely better than what we get from the MVC.

I don't have anything for the second part of your question. Personally, I'm fine with whatever they'd decide as the future is what's important and if we have to sacrifice a few things early so be it. And considering the run that next years team will be capable of, I'd prefer to be in the AAC next year so we don't leave behind what could be generated there. I also believe the AAC has a more favorable distribution of credits earned than the MVC does so that would be nice.

Thanks Sub.

If 30% is the magic number, does WSU expect to start getting 30% from day 1? Would WSU be willing to wait to get any payout until the current TV contract expires and is replaced with a new one? I could be wrong, but I don't see ESPN, especially in the present environment where they are hemorrhaging cash and tanking Disney's stock value, agreeing to pay more in the middle of a contract period for a non-football addition. It may also be a stretch to believe the other conference schools will be willing to give up a portion of the monies they are currently due (budgets have already been established counting on that money).

I could be totally wrong, but I would think that if a move were to happen, it wouldn't be until a new contract is set to start so the current conference members do not have to literally give up money to add another school (unless, of course, WSU agrees to accept zero dollars until the current contract expires, which would seemingly be pretty unlikely because they wouldn't be getting MVC NCAA tourney units distributed during that period either...)

I think all of those questions are currently being hashed out. From a fan perspective, I think leaving now is the preferred path. Losing current monies would be a minor inconvenience compared to future opportunities.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball