MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby jacksfan29 » April 28th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Bjhracer wrote:
Dawgbit wrote:Some poster on here was curious as to my "vendetta" with Murray State. Let me help you out.

SIU quit playing Murray State in football about 10 years or so, based upon a decision by our A.D. after a game at Murray, where their players were absolute thugs. SIU had a running get a broken leg in that game. The Murray players were taunting SIU with "we f****d up your running back, great sportsmanship. Our AD at the time, who is now the AD at Colorado State said "enough". Their basketball program used to be coached by that snotty-nosed Mick Cronin, who routinely looked for cast-off thugs transfers (google Keith Jennifer) from other programs. Cronin is now at Cincinnati, speaks volumes. I have a friend who went to Murray on an athletic scholarship who had a run in with Mr Jennifer, who I have reason to believe may be in prison as we speak, so the way Murray runs their programs does not sit well with me. And there is no benefit to Wichita State leaving the MVC, you can try to pretty it up if you want. Instead of the league playing down to Murray and Valpo we should be striving to playing up to the likes of Wichita State, Creighton, and other members like SIU, Northern Iowa who have fielded very good teams that DEMONSTRATED POST SEASON SUCCESS.

Its nice you bring up things that allegedly happened over a decade ago. Murray runs a clean program, we graduate student athletes and the university does not condone or cover up and erratic behavior. Mr. Jenifer that you speak of did get arrested while here and was subsequently suspended. It was for possession of marijuana. Im sure no SIU players over the last decade has smoked pot. Guess you got one on us there. My inclination is that you just don't want to get beat by the Racers and don't want the healthy competition.

That's fine. Go ahead add UMKC and Omaha and see how fast your overall conference rpi drops. If you want multi bids and healthy competition the Racers are the obvious choice.

Not my fight but I think its funny that a Murray St fan wants to talk about lowering the MVC RPI when you were 230 last year and 170 the prior year? In fact, if you look at Murray St over the past 5 years...

2016-17 230
2015-16 170
2014-15 64
2013-14 144
2012-13 113

Really not anything to write home about in there. The 64 is ok but followed by the 170 and 230? Not a good trend.
jacksfan29
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bjhracer » April 28th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Rpi is of course a flawed system. Yes the last 2 yrs have been bad years. Worst of the last 30yrs. Much of the actual rpi value though is based on the fact we currently play in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. OVC brings down rpi quite a bit.
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 28th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Aren't those like the 2 worst years in the last 30? Problem is clearly the coach. They were due for a bad hire after Gottfried/Cronin/Kennedy/Prohm.

There's no safer long term bet than one who's demonstrated success for 30 years.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherU » April 28th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:I'm not sold on UWM, HOWEVER, if we are going to add a 12th immediately and they can promise that they get their administrative crap in order I would take them over any other potential options.

Didn't the league just do this with LUC? Why not tell them there is a spot open as soon as they get their crap in order instead of letting them in and then hoping for the best?

If you're worried about our administrative problems, know this: I'm the reason you know about it. I'm the one who put a lot of that stuff out there. And I can tell you it's not going to be an issue.

The administrator who caused the 2014-15 APR ban entirely on his own has been gone for 3 1/2 years. They have put in all kinds of safe guards to make sure that never happens again. They've hired another person in compliance and the administrator overseeing men's basketball is not in that office. Before they were fired, the Jeter staff had rounded up most of the guys who hadn't graduated and got them there; we had a couple players who didn't even finish their eligibility with us come back and get their degrees here, to help the APR. For 2013-14, the last tournament year and before the ban was announced but after they found the problem, they finished with a perfect 1,000 APR score and unless I'm mistaken have done the same every year since.

The AD, while not my favorite person in the world and someone I'd rather see gone, got her reputation and the ire of a great many of our fans by how she handled the firing of Rob Jeter. The team won 20 games last year and had invites to all three postseason tournaments; she gave a poor reason for why she turned down the invitations, because she couldn't go public with the fact that she was lining things up to fire the coach. She also canceled the team's summer trip before the 2015-16 season for the same reason.

She's not a great person, but it doesn't take a genius to see she was doing it so she could fire the coaching staff after the season and replace them with someone she wanted. Does that help our case? No, but what it does show you is that the stuff that Amanda Braun did to get her reputation is entirely connected to firing a coach who is now gone. Her job is tied to the success of LaVall Jordan - she's going to do everything in her power to make sure he succeeds.

And even if you don't believe that, you should realize that picking the next member schools of the MVC based on one or two employees is foolhardy at best; AD's and coaches are stewards. What matters is the entire university, the fan base and the overall history compared to potential. You're not picking a school for the next five years, you're picking one for the next 25 years.

Some of you think the low attendance numbers this year have to do with a poor fan base. I think it's the opposite. Those fans spoke with their wallets in 2012-13 when the geriatric Andy Geiger moved the team to campus, and they're speaking now to how they feel about how the university handled the firing of Rob Jeter and his supporters in the athletic department. The university responded in 2013 by getting its ass back downtown; they learned their lesson with the Jeter firing as well.

This is a program that always sold out the Horizon League Tournament title game when it hosted, and always put 8k+ in for the semifinals. They have gotten 6k+ for conference opponents like GB, Valpo, Butler...they'll be able to sell fans on UNI and Bradley and Illinois State.

It should be noted that this season featured only four non-conference home games, with one of them being a non-D-I school. I've spoken with our current coaching staff; they are planning on highly elevating the non-conference schedule, and they told me that before Wichita State even left for the AAC so it's not something they're tying to a potential move to the MVC.

It looks like 4k is about where most of the conference is averaging. Milwaukee will get back to that in the MVC. I'm not worried about that. A winning Milwaukee will average 5k+, as it has in the past. I think a consistent 20-win MVC Milwaukee team's attendance floor will be about 4,500, and that's if I'm being conservative with my estimate. Once the Bradley Center is torn down and there's an entire athletic village in the block between the Panther Arena and the new Bucks stadium, I'm sure that floor is going to get higher.

As far as Loyola, I wouldn't expect us to need to do "administrative" clean-up because I would argue it already happened. If the MVC wishes it, I'd have no problem doing that so long as it's not ridiculous, which I have no reason to expect it to be. I don't know how the deal was with Loyola, but I know it would be nice to be in a conference with them again.

I wanna play Jesuit trivia. I wanna argue with Big Joe Rambler. I miss Sister Jean - which reminds me, I gotta get another Sister Jean bobble head because I seemed to have misplaced mine. She'd probably tell me I have to pray to Saint Anthony! I miss getting beers and burgers at Hamilton's before games (and I hear it's redesign as Bar63 is great).

I'm not familiar with the MVC's deal with Loyola. I just know they were our closest conference opponent (About an hour drive compared to 1 1/2 for UIC, 2 for GB and 2 1/2 to Valpo). I know that we won about 2/3 of the time after I got to school in 2005. I know we were a great fit for each other, just like we're a great fit with Valpo. And we will be a great fit for the MVC.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ptownbraves » April 28th, 2017, 1:01 pm

goyotes wrote:http://thesouthern.com/sports/blog-mvc-roundtable-about-the-future-of-the-league/article_d2946ec8-144f-5675-ac7b-ae8cb7b94f99.html

The above link is a good blog by Todd Hefferman, SIU beat writer for the Southern. It contains the opinions of various MVC beat writers.

Thanks for the link, that was a good read. Definitely some good points raised by some of the people closest to the situation.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 28th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:I'm not sold on UWM, HOWEVER, if we are going to add a 12th immediately and they can promise that they get their administrative crap in order I would take them over any other potential options.

Didn't the league just do this with LUC? Why not tell them there is a spot open as soon as they get their crap in order instead of letting them in and then hoping for the best?

Yup, which is why I'm all for 11 until a 12th "proves" itself worthy and takes 3 steps a head of everyone else in the pack.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MidWestMidMajor » April 28th, 2017, 2:02 pm

uniftw wrote: I had heard Omaha's visit went REALLY poorly. Almost nothing that went "sold" was able to be verified and the session going over the books was horrendous.

Some important news just came out about UNOmaha. UNO's pro-sports chancellor is retiring. The 15 person committee spent 5 months and $100,000 seeking a replacement. In the end, they decided to name the chancellor of the Univ Nebr Medical Center (20 blocks east) the 2 year interim chancellor of UNO. He will perform both functions. On one hand, there is the possibility of cost savings in duplicated admin and support functions. There could also be greater interaction academically between the 2 faculties and students.

But how does he feel about sports? The previous chancellor thought they were important in the transformation of UNO from simply a commuter campus. As we know, many academicians feel otherwise.

One other note: the new "joint chancellor" was a key player in merging the Medical University of Ohio with the Univ of Toledo. The Univ Nebr system president was coy and evasive when asked if this was the first step of a merger between the 2 institutions. He said it wasn't... but he also said that one can never predict the future.

So even though UNO is an improving program, it seems to me that there is too much uncertainty for the MVC to make long term decisions regarding them. I think we can take them off the board.
MidWestMidMajor
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby uniftw » April 28th, 2017, 2:06 pm

MidWestMidMajor wrote:
uniftw wrote: I had heard Omaha's visit went REALLY poorly. Almost nothing that went "sold" was able to be verified and the session going over the books was horrendous.

Some important news just came out about UNOmaha. UNO's pro-sports chancellor is retiring. The 15 person committee spent 5 months and $100,000 seeking a replacement. In the end, they decided to name the chancellor of the Univ Nebr Medical Center (20 blocks east) the 2 year interim chancellor of UNO. He will perform both functions. On one hand, there is the possibility of cost savings in duplicated admin and support functions. There could also be greater interaction academically between the 2 faculties and students.

But how does he feel about sports? The previous chancellor thought they were important in the transformation of UNO from simply a commuter campus. As we know, many academicians feel otherwise.

One other note: the new "joint chancellor" was a key player in merging the Medical University of Ohio with the Univ of Toledo. The Univ Nebr system president was coy and evasive when asked if this was the first step of a merger between the 2 institutions. He said it wasn't... but he also said that one can never predict the future.

So even though UNO is an improving program, it seems to me that there is too much uncertainty for the MVC to make long term decisions regarding them. I think we can take them off the board.

That worry matches what I've heard was discovered during the visit. The finances were bad and the arena finances and projections were horrifying.

So, while we may complain and make fun of places like UE for renting and paying something like 15k per game to rent the place, they are smart in many ways by deferring the cost of operation onto the city.

It sounds like the new arena at UNO is losing like 2.5-3m per year, and growing.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 28th, 2017, 2:10 pm

So it sounds like there are 2 big questions.

1) Does the MVC think 11 teams is a fine model? If so, we've got our two teams, it seems. If not, that leads to a second critical question:

2) Is 10 teams or 12 teams better? The sneaky fact about this whole situation is this: Murray St and Valpo aren't going anywhere else. If the MVC can't find a 12th team they're comfortable with, do they just settle on adding just one of Murray St or Valpo? They can (probably) add the other at a later date, but they can't reverse a Milwaukee invite once it's done.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » April 28th, 2017, 2:16 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:So it sounds like there are 2 big questions.

1) Does the MVC think 11 teams is a fine model? If so, we've got our two teams, it seems. If not, that leads to a second critical question:

2) Is 10 teams or 12 teams better? The sneaky fact about this whole situation is this: Murray St and Valpo aren't going anywhere else. If the MVC can't find a 12th team they're comfortable with, do they just settle on adding just one of Murray St or Valpo? They can (probably) add the other at a later date, but they can't reverse a Milwaukee invite once it's done.

The Horizon is also looking to be agressive. We take a chance at taking one and the Horizon making moves that would keep members there.

We could also take a chance at burning bridges with the one we don't take between Valpo/MSU. Especially if it's Valpo after passing them over in 2013
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball