Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join M

Postby Nebraskajack » May 15th, 2017, 7:22 am

Mikovio wrote:
Nebraskajack wrote:
Mikovio wrote:Welcome! I think most of us are glad you're joining but some public school fans wanted the Dakotas because they get starry eyed thinking about their JV football, even though their basketball programs operate as low majors and lose their coaches to Wright State and Ohio.

I will never understand why you guys are so enamored with how much you spend but still have losing programs. I would think you would put more emphasis on wins and losses but that is just me.

How can you expect to win consistently if there's 250 DI schools who can hire away your coach at a moment's notice? Do you think you're just that doggone special? Is Brookings SD magical?

Just a quick response to your last couple of posts. When Nagy left he had the choice of moving on and more than doubling his salary or becoming a 40 year head coach at SDSU. Everyone gets that job itch wondering if there isn't something better. He also had the chance to get closer to family and go to a school that has very good facilities. So yes he did leave, but I don't believe that it was a case where he couldn't wait to get out. I mean we did keep him for 22 years.

I never said that Brookings was a magical place. Those are your words.....but consider this, when Nagy left SDSU we were the only D-1 program whose head coaches for MBB, WBB and Football had been in place for at least 16 years. So yes, we are a stepping stone university, but our coaches aren't beating down the doors to get out.

One last point....when you take LakesBison out of the equation, who exactly are all the Dakota fans on the board clamoring to get in, maybe just a couple of others....lets not stretch the narrative too far.

By the way, I think Valpo was a good choice and you guys missed on Murray. Just my $.02.
Nebraskajack
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » May 15th, 2017, 8:46 am

Does the state of South Dakota still have the law/rule that only allows for the max length of a contract to be 3 years and need yearly approval?

I know it used to be that the state only allowed for 1 year contracts to be signed.

EDIT...did some looking

Turns out, as of June 20, 2016, multi year contracts were officially allowed in the state of SD, but only at the D1 level. The University of South Dakota got that rolling when they hired their football coach last spring. The contracts are limited to three years though.

Tough to put any kind of tough buy out, or even real money, into a contract when you have the state limiting you that hard.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2016/06/20/multi-year-contracts-only-division-coaches/86140382/
Published 3:34 p.m. CT June 20, 2016 | Updated 7:45 p.m. CT June 20, 2016

The University of South Dakota got the ball rolling on multi-year contracts when they hired new football coach Bob Nielson. Shortly after the Coyotes and Nielson agreed in principle to a deal, the South Dakota Board of Regents modified its personnel policies to allow for multi-year contracts (up to three years) for head coaches, athletic directors and university presidents.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » May 15th, 2017, 2:59 pm

The private schools in the MVC are awful. (I'll exclude Valpo since they have actually done something in the past 10 years). I love how a Bradley fan is making fun of our football, even though our football conference is ranked #1 and ranked higher than 3 other FBS conferences. We have teams that beat FBS teams every year. But yeah our "JV" programs are really holding us back, you know since Bradley, Drake, Evansville, and Loyola all sucked and none of them even made it to Saturday. It's kind of odd how all of the "JV football" schools out perform the privates every year in basketball.

I'll add that I will stick up for Drake and Valpo since they actually have football teams, but in reality if anyone is JV in football it's those two schools. The Pioneer League is usually the worst league in FCS, although the SWAC has been giving them some competition lately. Bradley, Loyola, and Evansville are all Horizon League quality in my opinion.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bball Junkie » May 15th, 2017, 3:23 pm

The Summit League doesn't even compare to the Valley in basketball. Those padded records would suffer in a move to the Valley.
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 15th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Bball Junkie wrote:The Summit League doesn't even compare to the Valley in basketball. Those padded records would suffer in a move to the Valley.

They'd go straight to the bottom with (besides for one season out of every 15) annual doormats Drake, Evansville, Indiana State.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » May 15th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I fully expect the usual yapping about this but over the last six seasons UE's average win total is the best of the 4 privates prior to Valpo's entry.

The last 6 seasons in Conf the win totals have been 9-10-6-9-12-6 so in my assessment two poor seasons, two breakeven and two double digit win seasons. Nowhere near the level of Wichita State, IL State and UNI but on par with Indy State and SIU.

The worst four have been MO State (trending up), LUC (trending up), Bradley (hopefully trending up) and Drake (hopefully they got the Coach right).

Am I satisfied? No! Can UE do better? Sure they can - will they this year I highly doubt it. However for the MVC I like that the some of the lower performers are trending upwards. This hopefully puts some pressure on the UE Admin to improve if they don't want to be a PIG team over and over.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 15th, 2017, 5:04 pm

UEACES80 wrote:I fully expect the usual yapping about this but over the last six seasons UE's average win total is the best of the 4 privates prior to Valpo's entry.

The last 6 seasons in Conf the win totals have been 9-10-6-9-12-6 so in my assessment two poor seasons, two breakeven and two double digit win seasons. Nowhere near the level of Wichita State, IL State and UNI but on par with Indy State and SIU.

The worst four have been MO State (trending up), LUC (trending up), Bradley (hopefully trending up) and Drake (hopefully they got the Coach right).

Am I satisfied? No! Can UE do better? Sure they can - will they this year I highly doubt it. However for the MVC I like that the some of the lower performers are trending upwards. This hopefully puts some pressure on the UE Admin to improve if they don't want to be a PIG team over and over.

I think the PIGame fits simmons quite welll
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » May 15th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:I fully expect the usual yapping about this but over the last six seasons UE's average win total is the best of the 4 privates prior to Valpo's entry.

I think the PIGame fits simmons quite welll

Are you auditioning for the classless spots being vacated by some of the outgoing Shocker fans?
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Nebraskajack » May 15th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Bball Junkie wrote:The Summit League doesn't even compare to the Valley in basketball. Those padded records would suffer in a move to the Valley.

They'd go straight to the bottom with (besides for one season out of every 15) annual doormats Drake, Evansville, Indiana State.

It would be a step up in competition, but I don't think we are as far off the pace as everyone likes to believe. We wouldn't challenge for the top, but we wouldn't be doormats either if our past is any indication.
Nebraskajack
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 15th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Nebraskajack wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

It would be a step up in competition, but I don't think we are as far off the pace as everyone likes to believe. We wouldn't challenge for the top, but we wouldn't be doormats either if our past is any indication.

The Ohio Valley ranked 26th in rpi. Mvc 12th. That's more than a double jump p I competition. You're going to get crushed.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball