Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby BCPanther » October 8th, 2021, 1:45 pm

They'd each have to triple their basketball budget to fit.

They're dominating the Summit League because they're outspending everyone else.

This illustrates the huge step up between The Summit and The Valley.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Herd » October 11th, 2021, 1:11 pm

BCPanther wrote:They'd each have to triple their basketball budget to fit.

They're dominating the Summit League because they're outspending everyone else.

This illustrates the huge step up between The Summit and The Valley.

We are about 2 million and building, you are 3 million and paying a whole bunch for your coach. Triple . . . ah NO. Another L on the gridiron, I know you want no part of NDSU and SDSU in basketball. So be it, with the addition of UST, the Summit is com'in.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Dawgbit » October 11th, 2021, 3:09 pm

IllinoisState wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:The Dakota schools have more than 13 actual fans so I'm not surprised that people don't want them. I'm also sure 90% of this board has never been to either Dakota before and it shows.

If they were invited they would eventually take over just like they did in football. Those schools (particularly the XDSU'S) are the big deal up there and the two XDSU's are usually towards the top of the Summit League anyways.

Indiana State is in the middle of an H and H with NDSU. I would support ISU doing them every season with all 4 of the Dakota schools. I don't see the issue. It sure as heck beats playing Truman State.

If they would take over how come only SDSU has been able to win with any regularity?

Excepting this past Saturday of course, what a game! Go Dawgs.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby IllinoisState » October 11th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Dawgbit wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:The Dakota schools have more than 13 actual fans so I'm not surprised that people don't want them. I'm also sure 90% of this board has never been to either Dakota before and it shows.

If they were invited they would eventually take over just like they did in football. Those schools (particularly the XDSU'S) are the big deal up there and the two XDSU's are usually towards the top of the Summit League anyways.

Indiana State is in the middle of an H and H with NDSU. I would support ISU doing them every season with all 4 of the Dakota schools. I don't see the issue. It sure as heck beats playing Truman State.

If they would take over how come only SDSU has been able to win with any regularity?

Excepting this past Saturday of course, what a game! Go Dawgs.

This is basketball, not football.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 30ASaluki » October 12th, 2021, 5:06 am

Just had to throw that out there, still basking in the afterglow!
30ASaluki
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 12th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Sounds like the AAC is talking to UAB which would be a solid basketball add. If the AAC can keep that up and get a couple more we can definitely put the Wichita State returning dreams to bed. Best to focus on finally reeling in Murray State methinks. I hope we can get that done soon.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/12/c ... t-football
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » October 14th, 2021, 12:16 pm

There's some twitter smoke about Gonzaga and the Big East if FOX increases payouts on the next contract.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 14th, 2021, 12:27 pm

That had better be a MASSIVE revenue increase. You thought SLU's travel situation as an A10 member was bad and they should join a more geographically friendly conference? Just imagine Gonzaga schlepping every single Olympic sport to the midwest and east coast. The increased travel costs will hurt their program more than the increased competition exposure and media money will help them. I really believe it's the Mountain West or the status quo for Gonzaga. Gonzaga has gotten to the National Title game twice in the last five years--the doorstep of finally grabbing that last brass ring on the way to true legitimacy as a program--they don't need much of a boost in conference to get over the top. The brands in the Mountain West should be enough to get them there without such an extreme increase in the travel budget. If they were closer to or within the footprint I would say they should already be in the league or seriously considering making the move at this point but in this case the geographic realities make this move very unlikely to pay significant dividends for Gonzaga. The Big East will (and should) choose from a pool of candidates such as SLU Dayton Richmond etc. Just the first two alone are enough to bring significant value to the league with SLU bringing a new market and Dayton bringing a massive fanbase. That's where they should look for members. If not for geography Gonzaga and the Big East are a perfect fit for each other but this hurdle is too big to be ignored by either side.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » October 14th, 2021, 12:30 pm

BYU just left, so Gonzaga has to be looking to get out of the WCC. MWC is the best current fit for them, but it's a football conference at heart. If they figured out how to make the numbers work, joining the Big East is an institutional fit.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 14th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Red wrote:BYU just left, so Gonzaga has to be looking to get out of the WCC. MWC is the best current fit for them, but it's a football conference at heart. If they figured out how to make the numbers work, joining the Big East is an institutional fit.

I agree on all points but I will say of the MWC: it won't be a football conference much longer if those Boise State to the Big XII rumors are true. If they are they would absolutely be best served by becoming a basketball centric league that happens to play football. By replacing Boise State with basketball oriented schools that might have okay to solid football that is where the conference could really make some gains. I still believe that if (when?) Gonzaga leaves (and I have no doubt whatsoever they are looking to leave with BYU headed out the door) it will be for the Mountain West. I kind of look at it like the Belmont situation for us in the MVC. It's very possible that Belmont had other options (like the SOCON which might have been interested as a great institutional fit despite Belmont's lack of football and a quality basketball league) but I think the earlier discussions held by the MVC with Belmont back in 2013 and 2017 laid a strong foundational groundwork between the conference and the institution that served them well in closing the deal quickly and expeditiously once Belmont decided it was time to make a move. The MWC and Gonzaga have already done a lot of the prep work and laid a solid groundwork no doubt. I think that will come in handy whenever Gonzaga decides to move. (I know you're tired of hearing me beat this drum I'm sure but the possibility of Gonzaga going to a rival league like the MWC is all the more reason for us to add a program like Murray State to get stronger. It won't keep up with such a huge addition but it will help keep us alive in the conversation for at large bids even through future realignments. I am very confident of that.)
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball