Attendance

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Attendance

Postby Bulldog2323 » January 9th, 2023, 11:12 pm

I believe Drake was trying to be "more family friendly." They moved women's weeknight games up to 6:00 PM at the same time for that reason.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » January 10th, 2023, 8:42 am

Bulldog2323 wrote:I believe Drake was trying to be "more family friendly." They moved women's weeknight games up to 6:00 PM at the same time for that reason.

UNI did the same thing with women's and volleyball games. I hate it, it's so hard to get there on time after work. Whole lot of departments out there with all sorts of solutions looking for problems.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby E-Villan » January 10th, 2023, 9:12 am

BCPanther wrote:
Bulldog2323 wrote:I believe Drake was trying to be "more family friendly." They moved women's weeknight games up to 6:00 PM at the same time for that reason.

UNI did the same thing with women's and volleyball games. I hate it, it's so hard to get there on time after work. Whole lot of departments out there with all sorts of solutions looking for problems.

"Solutions looking for problems" is exactly right. Our idiot former AD did the same thing, except with the men's program. Same line about attracting families. It doesn't take a genius to look at demographics and realize "families" that would attend a game don't live anywhere near downtown. Evansville isn't huge, but it's spread out enough that it is illogical. To get off work, pick your kids up in the suburban areas, make sure they are ready, feed them so you don't have to take out an equity line at the Ford Center, drive downtown, get parked and in the arena by 6:00 PM is impossible. My kids are grown and I still missed several tips, and even games because I couldn't get there in time. As a result, the crowds grew smaller, and the marketing should have been for The Villages or Life Alert. He also axed the band, and brought in a hip-hop DJ. Seniors loved that......

AD Ziggy wasn't here a month before he announced games would be moved back to 7:00 PM and reinstated the band.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby squirrel » January 10th, 2023, 9:32 am

Bradley tried the 6 PM start thing a couple years ago and it failed. There were several businesses that also ran shuttles for the 7 PM starts, but with the switch to 6 PM, had to stop because most of them relied on hotel shuttles, most of which remained in operation for the hotels until 5:30 or 6 PM. So the switch had a negative impact there, as well.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » January 10th, 2023, 9:56 am

We come from a conference where double headers were the norm. At Murray, it was women's tip at 5pm and men's tip at 7. The men never tipped at 7, obviously, and was anywhere from 7:20 to 7:40. It was terrible on families, old folks who don't like to get out, and bad for marketing. Thankful for the MVC.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 10th, 2023, 10:40 am

Question for Murray fans.

Aren’t the Racers about to do some renovations to the Arena? When is that supposed to happen? And also, what are they actually planning on doing?

I went there to watch SIU in December. One thing that would make it better… the top level seats are a really long way from the court. That place needs to be built more vertical than horizontal.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » January 10th, 2023, 11:20 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:Question for Murray fans.

Aren’t the Racers about to do some renovations to the Arena? When is that supposed to happen? And also, what are they actually planning on doing?

I went there to watch SIU in December. One thing that would make it better… the top level seats are a really long way from the court. That place needs to be built more vertical than horizontal.

Completely agree. The arena was originally built as a multi-purpose facility in 1998, which I believe helped get state funds for the project. The upper level seats are a joke.

The entire "Making Our Move" campaign with facility enhancements was brought out the months preceding the MVC announcement. Crickets ever since. Some think the across-the-board facility upgrade videos/announcements were just to help get us in. The quality of the renderings support that notion. However, I think there are intentions of doing renovations at the CFSB Center but there isn't enough money I think to pull it off any time soon.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RacerJoeD » January 10th, 2023, 6:01 pm

They’re doing the fundraising now.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bulldog2323 » January 10th, 2023, 9:48 pm

Drake did the doubleheader men/women a couple times too, but they cleared the arena between games and made everyone buy tickets separate for both games. Not much point in having a doubleheader if you're going to do that. They haven't done it since the women went on their 40+ game winning streak while the men were at the bottom of the Valley pre-DeVries.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bulldog2323 » January 10th, 2023, 9:50 pm

I also wish Drake would stop charging for parking. It's easy to get around if you know what you're doing, and people in Des Moines generally hate paying for parking under any circumstances. I feel Drake could easily recover the revenue lost from the gain.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball