Way too early look at next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Way too early look at next year

Postby Salukidawg2014 » February 24th, 2023, 6:17 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Action10 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:SIU will win an important game eventually. It’s bound to happen at some point.

SIU best non-conference win is at Oklahoma State (KenPom #39), Bradley's best is at home against Akron (KenPom #106). SIU also owns a win over Drake in conference.

When is the last time SIU played for a championship? Regular season or MVC Tournament? THOSE are important games.

Lance Jones and Marcus Domask are really good players. Hopefully for them they can play a game that matters in STL. It's coming on the end of four years now. Barry Hinson got fired for finishing third.

Weird you say all this yet Siu has been better than Bradley in non con, well truth be told the whole league is. Not only that but how long has wardle been at Bradley and he has zero ncaa tourney wins. Zero league wins. A depleting old fanbase. Sounds like your anger is misplaced. Criticize Siu coaches all you want but it’s not like your dude is a bastion of success.
Salukidawg2014
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2023, 7:54 am

I’m not angry at all. Sheesh.

I have a lot of friends who went to SIU. They have waited a LONG time to be relevant. Still waiting. Bryan Mullins was going to save them. It hasn’t happened. He’s close to wasting four seasons of two really good players. That’s a shame. They’ve got three in STL to turn the tide. 2007 is a long time ago.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukidawg2014 » February 24th, 2023, 8:03 am

I mean I’d argue you have wasted the same amount of players. 0 ncaa tourney wins or league championships. Isn’t this his first time finishing over 3rd. Other than beating a depleted valpo and getting two techs on uni. You have essentially the same level of success.
Salukidawg2014
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2023, 8:08 am

Salukidawg2014 wrote:I mean I’d argue you have wasted the same amount of players. 0 ncaa tourney wins or league championships. Isn’t this his first time finishing over 3rd. Other than beating a depleted valpo and getting two techs on uni. You have essentially the same level of success.

You keep wanting to make this about Bradley vs SIU. I’m not the one doing that.

I do love that you put qualifiers on two MVC Tournament wins. Bradley still won them. Nine other teams were in the same tournament and did not. SIU was one of them.

If you are content with the successes of the Bryan Mullins era then good for you.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukidawg2014 » February 24th, 2023, 8:17 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Salukidawg2014 wrote:I mean I’d argue you have wasted the same amount of players. 0 ncaa tourney wins or league championships. Isn’t this his first time finishing over 3rd. Other than beating a depleted valpo and getting two techs on uni. You have essentially the same level of success.

I do love that you put qualifiers on two MVC Tournament wins. Bradley still won them. Nine other teams were in the same tournament and did not. SIU was one of them.

If you are content with the successes of the Bryan Mullins era then good for you.

It’s not Siu vs bradley. It’s about Bradley fans vs reality. They usually blow in non con hurting the league. They don’t generally finish in the top 2. Haven’t won the league. Was the only mvc team in what a couple years to not win their NCAA tourney game. Yet they act like they are the class of the valley. It grows old. And yeah I understand it was Michigan state, but if wardle schedule better or compete in non con. They might have gotten a better seed so it was their own doing.
Salukidawg2014
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2023, 8:18 am

Salukidawg2014 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

It’s not Siu vs bradley. It’s about Bradley fans vs reality. They usually blow in non con hurting the league. They don’t generally finish in the top 2. Haven’t won the league. Was the only mvc team in what a couple years to not win their NCAA tourney game. Yet they act like they are the class of the valley. It grows old. And yeah I understand it was Michigan state, but if wardle schedule better or compete in non con. They might have gotten a better seed so it was their own doing.

You are the only one making this about Bradley.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » February 24th, 2023, 10:08 am

Which Bradley fan ran over your cat, SalukiDawg? :P
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » February 24th, 2023, 10:11 am

I'm not a big fan of the tournament going to 96 teams, but if it means more guaranteed spots for mid-major and low-major teams, then I'm all for it. There are many good teams in the Valley, but the top schools have once again skewed the opportunity for mid-majors by playing more league games to get more "Quad 1" wins. If we're honest, there isn't much difference between Quad 1 and Quad 2 and then Quad 2 and Quad 3, but we see people mesmerized by these quads now. That is stupid. If going to 96 teams only allows in most of the big boys, then I'm in no favor. At 96 teams, there must be a definitive number of how many teams make the tourney and from what level of the NCAAs.

I only bring this up, because of people claiming seasons don't mean much unless you make the tourney. In today's world, only one MVC team will continue to make it. I would like it to change, but it probably isn't with the perspective by today's NCAA committees.

BTW, I think Coach Mullins has done a great job of bringing SIU back to the brink from what we had under Lowery's last few years and then that dude who followed him.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2023, 10:27 am

PretzelDawg wrote:BTW, I think Coach Mullins has done a great job of bringing SIU back to the brink from what we had under Lowery's last few years and then that dude who followed him.

Barry's last four seasons SIU had a Ken Pom of: 139, 150, 135, 146 - 142.50 AVE

Mullin's first four seasons SIU has a Ken Pom of: 178, 192, 125, 130 - 156.3 AVE

I know SIU fans FEEL differently about the program. But looking at it objectively it's basically the same program now as it was under Barry.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiHoops » February 24th, 2023, 11:28 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
PretzelDawg wrote:BTW, I think Coach Mullins has done a great job of bringing SIU back to the brink from what we had under Lowery's last few years and then that dude who followed him.

Barry's last four seasons SIU had a Ken Pom of: 139, 150, 135, 146 - 142.50 AVE

Mullin's first four seasons SIU has a Ken Pom of: 178, 192, 125, 130 - 156.3 AVE

I know SIU fans FEEL differently about the program. But looking at it objectively it's basically the same program now as it was under Barry.

I don't feel different about it at all. In fact, I dont think the teams Mullins has put on the floor would compete with those final Barry teams. Good luck to the current Salukis on shutting down Fletcher and Pippen. Oh.. and you have a solid point in Aaron Cook and a defensive stud in Sean Lloyd who was a 1000 point scorer on top of it.
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball