Way too early look at next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Way too early look at next year

Postby SalukiHoops » February 24th, 2023, 4:14 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:I’ll never get why SIU fans wanted Hinson fired for not making a postseason tournament but defend Mullins who hasn’t hit a postseason tournament in 4 years (assuming they don’t win Arch Madness this year). If Domask and Jones are gone, next year is a 5th year rebuild and now you’re looking at Year 6 as the next chance for a postseason appearance (whether it be NIT or NCAA’s).

I want Mullins to succeed but he’s looking very shaky right now. His in-game coaching is bottom tier in the Valley and they haven’t been able to develop any of their recruits besides Domask and Jones (and Jones is underachieving this season).

And for Hinson left the cupboard bare, wait until you find out who recruited Lance Jones

I am one of the few that liked what Hinson was doing. He was consistently going up in the season standings at the tail end of his SIU days. Sure, it could be better, but it's hard to say what Mullins has done/is doing has been better. He's in year 4 and hasn't won on Friday. A couple of Barry's teams at the end played on Saturday.. and the second of those Saturday SIU teams easily could've made the Sunday game. I think it was an OT loss to Phil Fayne's Redbirds.
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SalukiWorld » February 24th, 2023, 4:16 pm

SalukiHoops wrote:Mullins better find some success in Arch Madness or the portal...

If not, I have to believe Southern is taking a dive in the standings. Just 1 Class of 23 commit thus far... That makes you wonder what is in store for the offseason. Also, it's hard for me to imagine that Domask and Jones both come back. And if SIU fails to make a semi yet again, I don't really blame them.

Every Saluki fan should be really excited about that one commit. Kennard Davis Jr. is probably playing a tougher schedule than any recruit SIU has seen since the 2000’s and he’s the best player on that team. He’s going to be one of the best two-way Valley players as long as he’s at SIU.

But if you lose Domask, next year becomes a rebuild year unless you can hit absolute gold in the portal. Domask just means so much to SIU over the last 4 years and he’s masked a lot of the offensive problems SIU has had under Mullins. It’ll be a complete shame if his 4 years at SIU were wasted without postseason basketball.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dawgbit » February 24th, 2023, 4:19 pm

And by the way Captain Grumpy, year 4 is not over.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 24th, 2023, 4:20 pm

SalukiHoops wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:I’ll never get why SIU fans wanted Hinson fired for not making a postseason tournament but defend Mullins who hasn’t hit a postseason tournament in 4 years (assuming they don’t win Arch Madness this year). If Domask and Jones are gone, next year is a 5th year rebuild and now you’re looking at Year 6 as the next chance for a postseason appearance (whether it be NIT or NCAA’s).

I want Mullins to succeed but he’s looking very shaky right now. His in-game coaching is bottom tier in the Valley and they haven’t been able to develop any of their recruits besides Domask and Jones (and Jones is underachieving this season).

And for Hinson left the cupboard bare, wait until you find out who recruited Lance Jones

I am one of the few that liked what Hinson was doing. He was consistently going up in the season standings at the tail end of his SIU days. Sure, it could be better, but it's hard to say what Mullins has done/is doing has been better. He's in year 4 and hasn't won on Friday. A couple of Barry's teams at the end played on Saturday.. and the second of those Saturday SIU teams easily could've made the Sunday game. I think it was an OT loss to Phil Fayne's Redbirds.

Agreed. I think any objective look at Barry - considering he inherited an 8-23 program - would reveal he rebuilt and stabilized SIU into a consistent 2nd-4th program.

No one in the same breath can crap on Barry while singing the praises of Mullins without being a massive hypocrite. Either they’re both good or they’re both average.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » February 24th, 2023, 4:21 pm

SalukiHoops wrote:

I think Hinson was a better in-game coach than Mullins but Hinson couldn’t recruit at all at SIU and SIU couldn’t win the big games under him. Every time SIU would play a power 5 team or a big Valley game, they’d lay an absolute egg.

For me, Mullins is an upgrade over Hinson but it’s not been as good as I’d hope so far. I’m not sitting here asking for Sweet 16’s or a streak of NCAA Tournaments like they had in the 2000’s (that’s just not happening) but they should be in the conversation for Valley titles and NIT births.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiHoops » February 24th, 2023, 4:22 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:
SalukiHoops wrote:Mullins better find some success in Arch Madness or the portal...

If not, I have to believe Southern is taking a dive in the standings. Just 1 Class of 23 commit thus far... That makes you wonder what is in store for the offseason. Also, it's hard for me to imagine that Domask and Jones both come back. And if SIU fails to make a semi yet again, I don't really blame them.

Every Saluki fan should be really excited about that one commit. Kennard Davis Jr. is probably playing a tougher schedule than any recruit SIU has seen since the 2000’s and he’s the best player on that team. He’s going to be one of the best two-way Valley players as long as he’s at SIU.

But if you lose Domask, next year becomes a rebuild year unless you can hit absolute gold in the portal. Domask just means so much to SIU over the last 4 years and he’s masked a lot of the offensive problems SIU has had under Mullins. It’ll be a complete shame if his 4 years at SIU were wasted without postseason basketball.

Who do you see entering the portal from Southern? Gotta be at least 1 or 2 in this day and age. I ask because if seniors leave and some others leave too, then it'll really be a rebuild. You said it, the Davis kid is good, but you can't expect him to be "the guy" on day 1 and also have success as a team.
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » February 24th, 2023, 4:24 pm

SalukiHoops wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:

Who do you see entering the portal from Southern? Gotta be at least 1 or 2 in this day and age. I ask because if seniors leave and some others leave too, then it'll really be a rebuild. You said it, the Davis kid is good, but you can't expect him to be "the guy" on day 1 and also have success as a team.

I think Foster Wonders is the main guy. It’s year 2 in the program and he just can’t get on the court at all. But if everyone leaves, he’s up for a much bigger opportunity in what is probably a rebuilding year. Xavier Johnson also didn’t walk at Senior Night the other night because he didn’t graduate and they said he intends to keep playing next year. He’d be a nice piece to have back or another portal candidate.

In terms of Davis, if everyone is gone next year, he might have to play the role Domask played in his Freshman year where he’s a top 2 or 3 player on the team.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiHoops » February 24th, 2023, 4:31 pm

But if you lose Domask, next year becomes a rebuild year unless you can hit absolute gold in the portal. Domask just means so much to SIU over the last 4 years and he’s masked a lot of the offensive problems SIU has had under Mullins. It’ll be a complete shame if his 4 years at SIU were wasted without postseason basketball.[/quote]

Who do you see entering the portal from Southern? Gotta be at least 1 or 2 in this day and age. I ask because if seniors leave and some others leave too, then it'll really be a rebuild. You said it, the Davis kid is good, but you can't expect him to be "the guy" on day 1 and also have success as a team.[/quote]
I think Foster Wonders is the main guy. It’s year 2 in the program and he just can’t get on the court at all. But if everyone leaves, he’s up for a much bigger opportunity in what is probably a rebuilding year. Xavier Johnson also didn’t walk at Senior Night the other night because he didn’t graduate and they said he intends to keep playing next year. He’d be a nice piece to have back or another portal candidate.

In terms of Davis, if everyone is gone next year, he might have to play the role Domask played in his Freshman year where he’s a top 2 or 3 player on the team.[/quote]

Whats the deal with Hornecker? Is he gonna be used or not? I know hes a freshman, but it definitely seems like he couldve even helped in a small role this year. What a waste that would be if he leaves.
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » February 24th, 2023, 4:41 pm

Think the plan was to redshirt Hornecker and then Muila and Ebube both got hurt early in the season and they yanked it. Cade hasn’t looked great even in garbage time though. He needs to have a really productive offseason if he’s going to be a piece next year.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2023, 4:49 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:Think the plan was to redshirt Hornecker and then Muila and Ebube both got hurt early in the season and they yanked it. Cade hasn’t looked great even in garbage time though. He needs to have a really productive offseason if he’s going to be a piece next year.

A really good 7-0 kid from Texas isn't going to end up at SIU. That just doesn't happen. 7-0 kids who are huge projects might - but not ones who are close to ready to play.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball