Transfer Portal 2023

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Postby UICJohn » March 13th, 2023, 3:32 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:Apparently, Jalen Jackson and Evan Brauns already know precisely where they are going. How is that even possible without being contacted/actively recruited while a member of another team?

Yeah - was thinking the same thing when I saw the JJ news from earlier today. Someone on the UIC board did note that he has two sisters that committed to playing for Valpo next year so perhaps? But just speculation based on the teams he listed.
UICJohn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » March 13th, 2023, 3:47 pm

BCPanther wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:Apparently, Jalen Jackson and Evan Brauns already know precisely where they are going. How is that even possible without being contacted/actively recruited while a member of another team?

I remember listening to Mike Reis' interview with BBQ Barry Hinson and he mentioned that Power 6 schools have GA's and Assistant coaches building spreadsheets on players who are graduating early and/or would be good players to go after. Bruce Weber hinted at the exact same thing when he was amazing that Mullins was able to keep Domask and Jones for all four years.

Brauns is going to Iowa. They've got a boat load of rides and he's very Rebraca-like.

He will play 10 minutes a game at most. Good luck to him.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 13th, 2023, 3:47 pm

I remember listening to Mike Reis' interview with BBQ Barry Hinson and he mentioned that Power 6 schools have GA's and Assistant coaches building spreadsheets on players who are graduating early and/or would be good players to go after. Bruce Weber hinted at the exact same thing when he was amazing that Mullins was able to keep Domask and Jones for all four years.

Newsflash. MVC schools have spreadsheets on players who might be leaving and in the portal.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 13th, 2023, 8:32 pm

7'0 Dawson Carper from Missouri State enters the portal. Carper, who transferred from Hawaii 3 years ago was never healthy except for a short period last year. Honestly, I thought he was finished , and he may be, but this gives him the option if he gets healthy this summer to find a place to try to play. Colorado kid , was a good teammate by all accounts. Wish him well.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » March 14th, 2023, 4:28 am

If a player announces where they are transferring to within 5 days there has to be some illegal recruiting going on.I dont care if a kid transfer, but they should be made to sit out a year,unless your a grad student.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » March 14th, 2023, 7:06 am

municup14 wrote:If a player announces where they are transferring to within 5 days there has to be some illegal recruiting going on.I dont care if a kid transfer, but they should be made to sit out a year,unless your a grad student.

Why should they have to sit out a year? Scholarships are year to year. They aren’t four year agreements.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » March 14th, 2023, 7:36 am

municup14 wrote:If a player announces where they are transferring to within 5 days there has to be some illegal recruiting going on.I dont care if a kid transfer, but they should be made to sit out a year,unless your a grad student.

So they wait until the 6th day to announce it. That'll show 'em....
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby So iLL 24 » March 14th, 2023, 8:53 am

Loyola Big man Jacob Hutson hit the portal yesterday and announced his commitment to UNI.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » March 14th, 2023, 9:02 am

So iLL 24 wrote:Loyola Big man Jacob Hutson hit the portal yesterday and announced his commitment to UNI.

You beat me to it.

This is a really good get that fills a glaring need for UNI and is next in line of guys that UNI just missed out on coming out of high school that come home.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 14th, 2023, 9:03 am

BCPanther wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:Loyola Big man Jacob Hutson hit the portal yesterday and announced his commitment to UNI.

You beat me to it.

This is a really good get that fills a glaring need for UNI and is next in line of guys that UNI just missed out on coming out of high school that come home.

Good get for UNI. He never developed as I thought he might at Loyola - but maybe some of that was Drew Valentine.

And that was a quick recruitment :).
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball