Transfer Portal 2023

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Postby tribecalledquest » May 2nd, 2023, 9:25 am

Drakey wrote:Does anybody know what Valley schools are paying these recruits? I assume its not hundreds of thousands.

The schools aren't paying them anything :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » May 2nd, 2023, 10:56 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Drakey wrote:Does anybody know what Valley schools are paying these recruits? I assume its not hundreds of thousands.

Sorry. Schools collectives.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 2nd, 2023, 1:30 pm

Drakey wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Sorry. Schools collectives.

I can confirm that the Bradley collective is not paying hundreds of thousands.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » May 4th, 2023, 10:47 pm

Myles Foster from Monmouth to Illinois St
Isaiah Stafford from John A. Logan JUCO to Valpo
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » May 5th, 2023, 2:27 pm

Redbirds put together a pretty solid recruiting class and look like they have some depth (on paper) for the first time in a while.

Their final scholarship goes Monmouth xfer, 6'7, 240 (7'3 wingspan) Miles Foster. He's an old school power forward than you don't see anymore at his size. Plays through the paint and makes his money on the boards. He was a 12/7 guy last year with close to 3 offensive rebounds per game. I like the way he gets after it on the glass.

Miles completed the '23 class that includes freshman: PG Johnny Kinziger (Mr. Basketball, Wisconsin), F- Chase Walker (6'9, 280- started his final year of high school around 340), G Ty Pence (final three were ILST, Belmont, and Wake Forrest), Dalton Banks (SIU xfer, pg), Brandon Lieb 7'1 out of Illannoy, and Jordan Davis 6'4 Wisconsin xfer.

I've been pretty consistent with my expectations since Pedon came in. First year ('22-23) is building the foundation (Burford, Kasubke, Poindexter and keeping Lewis "core 4"), next season ('23-24) be middle of the pack and competitive with the top of the league and win a game (or two) at the Arch, and finally '24-25 compete for the league title. Depending on how quickly these guys jell, find and accept their roles, who knows. Maybe they surprise some people.

Happy to have the roster set so I can unfollow all of the portal accounts on twitter and get my timeline back. :Yea!:
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BruinGrad » May 7th, 2023, 10:32 am

I'm confused. I thought once a player signed, he was set for a year. On April 25, Belmont published this article stating that Will Shaver from UNC, signed with Belmont.

https://belmontbruins.com/news/2023/4/2 ... haver.aspx

Then, today I see this post from Will on his Twitter account.

will shaver
@willshaver6
·
32m
Thank you to the Belmont staff for your recruitment and love yall showed me. However, After talks with my parents and careful consideration myself I have decided to re open my recruitment and de-commit from Belmont.
BruinGrad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bigdfromuic » May 7th, 2023, 12:51 pm

BruinGrad wrote:I'm confused. I thought once a player signed, he was set for a year.

Schrodinger’s cat. He’s both set and not set simultaneously. Only when a better offer comes along do you realize he’s actually not set. Your coach could’ve played hardball and refused to release him but then the media and major programs pile on you until you cave.

This happened with UIC last year. Tyler Stevenson transferred in, signed, and then decided, very late, he wanted to play for Ole Miss instead. We let him go, and it really hurt us. We also saved a scholarship for Damaria Franklin who was testing NBA waters, and he decided to come back. Then Penny at Memphis stole him last minute and we took the opposite stance…we didn’t release him. He sat for like half the year before we eventually caved.

In the end, players like to spout they’re 100% committed…but if the power teams (or any perceived better offer) comes calling, they can force their way out or make the school look bad. I think most teams take the path of least resistance. I felt UIC was in the right about Damaria Franklin. That dude screwed us big time.
Bigdfromuic
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Drakey » May 7th, 2023, 6:09 pm

Once you made him sit for half a year, why not make him sit the whole year?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bigdfromuic » May 7th, 2023, 6:24 pm

Drakey wrote:Once you made him sit for half a year, why not make him sit the whole year?

If I remember the situation correctly, UIC could not sign the release in good faith because we would have had to certify that Damaria left for reasons out of his control, e.g. we ran him off. Therefore, Memphis had to go for option B…submit a different type of waiver (mental hardship maybe) and at that point it was in the NCAA’s hands. The NCAA dragged its feet and he had to sit for half a year. When the NCAA finally got around to it, I guess they checked with UIC for any objection, and we did not object…so it was approved.

UIC wasn’t going to stand in the way once the NCAA was ok with him playing. But UIC couldn’t and wouldn’t make the certification to let him play from the beginning.
Bigdfromuic
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 7th, 2023, 7:22 pm

Holy cow. Drake just picked up a guy that put up 17 PPG in the Big West.

Drake’s starting 5
Enright
17 PPG Big West
Patriot League FOY
MVC POY
Brodie
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball