Is Valpo keeping Lottich?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Is Valpo keeping Lottich?

Postby E-Villan » March 9th, 2023, 5:32 pm

BCPanther wrote:Just a heads up.

We hired the guy that had Small's position before him at Iowa State and he's an unmitigated disaster of an AD. By far the worst in our DI history and that includes the guy in the 90s that tried to de-emphasize basketball in favor of wrestling.

I hope, for your sake, that you got somebody a helluva lot closer to being Jamie Pollard than we did.

I didn't realize the AD at UNI was so bad. How long has he been there, and more importantly, how is his relationship with Jacobson?

We hired a new AD in 2000, who ended up running off a long term successful coach, and have been paying for it since. The AD will make or break any program in this league, especially if there isn't accountability and focus from the administration. I would hate to see what Jacobson has built up there shattered by incompetence.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » March 9th, 2023, 8:00 pm

E-Villan wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Just a heads up.

We hired the guy that had Small's position before him at Iowa State and he's an unmitigated disaster of an AD. By far the worst in our DI history and that includes the guy in the 90s that tried to de-emphasize basketball in favor of wrestling.

I hope, for your sake, that you got somebody a helluva lot closer to being Jamie Pollard than we did.

I didn't realize the AD at UNI was so bad. How long has he been there, and more importantly, how is his relationship with Jacobson?

We hired a new AD in 2000, who ended up running off a long term successful coach, and have been paying for it since. The AD will make or break any program in this league, especially if there isn't accountability and focus from the administration. I would hate to see what Jacobson has built up there shattered by incompetence.

He's been here 7 years at this point. Our facilities are crumbling, the West Gym has been condemned and every program has a smaller budget than when he got here. The university foundation has taken over fundraising for the Dome renovation and basketball practice facility because he hadn't raised anything.

He and Jake are not on speaking terms (same deal with our wrestling and football coaches) but he's smart enough to not get into a public pissing match with any of them because those are battles that he can't win.

UNI is boned when our current group of coaches leave/retire.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 9th, 2023, 10:38 pm

Thanks to the Valpo posters for the on-the-ground update.

From afar, it looks like the previous administration/AD dug a Mt Everest-sized hole that the new president/AD simply do not have the current ability to climb out of. Barring money falling out of the sky, it appears they're handcuffed to where the only solution feasible is time.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fraydog » March 10th, 2023, 1:38 am

For the record, I feel for the new President and AD at Valpo. They walked into a giant mess. I can empathize with this situation. That said, they have to clean up the mess. New facilities and a new coach would buy Valparaiso a lot of time.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby So iLL 24 » March 10th, 2023, 8:05 am

How many boosters who obtained Law Degrees from Valpo are upset with the University for slashing that program? I would be willing to guess a bunch. I bet that doesn't help their fundraising efforts and the future of their endowment.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby racernation » March 10th, 2023, 9:59 am

I wasn't aware of Valpo's woes. Only 2,964 students? Does someone want to give a quick explanation of why Valpo is in a downward spiral?
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby So iLL 24 » March 10th, 2023, 10:37 am

racernation wrote:I wasn't aware of Valpo's woes. Only 2,964 students? Does someone want to give a quick explanation of why Valpo is in a downward spiral?

2,964 students is 60-65% more than UE has! UE would be throwing a massive party if they had Valpo's enrollment.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 10th, 2023, 11:46 am

So iLL 24 wrote:How many boosters who obtained Law Degrees from Valpo are upset with the University for slashing that program? I would be willing to guess a bunch. I bet that doesn't help their fundraising efforts and the future of their endowment.

Their endowment was $350M for FY21 but $326M for FY22. It looks like they dabbled a bit to alleviate the financial issues.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BUFanatic » March 10th, 2023, 4:17 pm

racernation wrote:I wasn't aware of Valpo's woes. Only 2,964 students? Does someone want to give a quick explanation of why Valpo is in a downward spiral?

Iir from my short year there in 11-12, the Law School was struggling pretty badly. Low enrollment and couldn’t attract quality faculty. Read something in 2016/2017 can’t remember, but I think the ABA or some sanctioning organization hit them pretty hard with fines for admitting students who could not complete the curriculum. Don’t think it was 100% Valpo’s decision there.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RacerJoeD » March 10th, 2023, 7:28 pm

Something to keep in mind- nationwide, college enrollment has fallen dramatically recently.

https://fortune.com/2023/03/09/american ... ation/amp/
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball