Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby Campbellproud » May 11th, 2024, 9:26 pm

IllinoisState wrote:Assuming each school is willing to make the financial commitment these schools I'd be willing to take right now if we lost a member and were replacing one.

St. Thomas
NKU
UTA
Lipscomb

No UMKC, Omaha, Oral Roberts, SEMO, or Lindenwood.

This is a pretty good shortlist. And I agree with it. I would be fine with st Thomas, NKU or lipscomb. Absolutely not UTA. They’re in Texas, have no basketball history, no fans, commuter school. Just no. NKU seems like best fit but I guess they don’t have the money is the common wisdom around here. St. Thomas is still pretty green but has some potential. Lipscomb is probably a no since we just added Belmont. Bellarmine is interesting, but they’re pretty green, too. I think the best move is to stay at 11 for awhile until another domino moves. The A10 could implode some day and we could get SLU and Loyola back. That would be nice.
Campbellproud
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 12th, 2024, 12:32 am

Campbellproud wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:Assuming each school is willing to make the financial commitment these schools I'd be willing to take right now if we lost a member and were replacing one.

St. Thomas
NKU
UTA
Lipscomb

This is a pretty good shortlist. And I agree with it. I would be fine with st Thomas, NKU or lipscomb. Absolutely not UTA. They’re in Texas, have no basketball history, no fans, commuter school. Just no. NKU seems like best fit but I guess they don’t have the money is the common wisdom around here. St. Thomas is still pretty green but has some potential. Lipscomb is probably a no since we just added Belmont. Bellarmine is interesting, but they’re pretty green, too. I think the best move is to stay at 11 for awhile until another domino moves. The A10 could implode some day and we could get SLU and Loyola back. That would be nice.

I would personally look at either St Thomas or NKU the most. NKU, as mentioned throughout this thread, has invested heavily into their athletics and basketball program. Seeing as U Cincinnati is not really pulling in terms of basketball. That market is really desirable as Cincy, NKU, and Xavier are the only major campuses in the area for basketball. St Thomas is only rivaled by Minnesota for the Minneapolis market. They have huge potential to grow their fanbase for basketball seeing as UM is really not that competitive in basketball and hasnt been for a while now.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » May 12th, 2024, 7:42 am

Milwaukee needs to be on the list. They spend for basketball. Have a great arena. Good location. A fair amount of MVC students live in the area. They have baseball which matters some. They should be ahead of Lipscomb or UTA, IMO.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ColonialBulldog » May 12th, 2024, 8:50 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:
Campbellproud wrote:

St. Thomas
NKU
UTA
Lipscomb

I would personally look at either St Thomas or NKU the most. NKU, as mentioned throughout this thread, has invested heavily into their athletics and basketball program. Seeing as U Cincinnati is not really pulling in terms of basketball. That market is really desirable as Cincy, NKU, and Xavier are the only major campuses in the area for basketball. St Thomas is only rivaled by Minnesota for the Minneapolis market. They have huge potential to grow their fanbase for basketball seeing as UM is really not that competitive in basketball and hasnt been for a while now.

If you're in Cincinnati and you're not a fan of the Bearcats or Xavier, then you're probably a Louisville, Kentucky, or Ohio State fan. Even Dayton is right there. The idea with adding markets is to add exposure. I'm not sure how adding NKU gets the Valley any exposure if they're NKU is the eighth fiddle in their own neighborhood. UIC and UTA get a different look because they are in metropolitan areas that are some of the world's largest.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 12th, 2024, 9:01 am

ColonialBulldog wrote:
If you're in Cincinnati and you're not a fan of the Bearcats or Xavier, then you're probably a Louisville, Kentucky, or Ohio State fan. Even Dayton is right there. The idea with adding markets is to add exposure. I'm not sure how adding NKU gets the Valley any exposure if they're NKU is the eighth fiddle in their own neighborhood. UIC and UTA get a different look because they are in metropolitan areas that are some of the world's largest.

All of the schools that surround NKU that you mentioned are not pulling in terms of basketball right now with the exception of the fliers. Dayton is also about an hour away from Cincinnati. You can still support your teams yes, but if they arent successful, the average fan is going to go elsewhere to get their basketball fix. Just look at Penn State's attendance numbers 2 years ago vs last year. They had to play games in Rec Hall because people weren't coming to games.

My personal pick is St. Thomas as I have changed my opinion about them. Literally, just them and UM in the Minnesota market let alone the Minneapolis market.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby E-Villan » May 12th, 2024, 10:03 am

ColonialBulldog wrote:

That's not entirely true. According to Wikipedia, there are 455K people in the contiguous Kentucky counties across the Ohio from Cincinnati. NKU is the only D-1 school on that side of the river. While it is a Cincinnati suburb, Northern KY does have somewhat of its own identity. The Cincinnati media understands this and does a very good job of covering them. Much, much better than what we get in our other major markets like Chicago and Nashville. Their attendance is already ahead of several of our schools and the arena would easily be top 5.

Without MSU, I see no benefit to UT-A at this point on either side. Why would they want to join a conference where the closest school (Murray) is 650 miles away? Despite being in a major market, they don't get a lot of coverage and what little they do get, I can't imagine plants a lot of appeal to playing a bunch of mid-majors 700, 800 or more miles away. We aren't the Big 10, none of our schools can move the needle that far away.

Lipscomb should also be off the table. We are completely ignored in Nashville now, why would we want to double down on another school with no fans in that market?

By the very nature of this conference, geography and basketball is what keeps us together. We need to stick to that if we are going to survive in this form. Someone on one of the school boards posted a list of our schools and the various conferences we are involved in....MVC, MVFC, Pioneer and of course, no football. We have to be the only conference that is fragmented this severely between basketball and football. With football driving the realignments, we could be in for a very shaky ride.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » May 12th, 2024, 12:24 pm

My advice would be to QUIT watering down the conference! If a Murray State presents itself, Fine. Otherwise, quit diluting the level of play that made me so proud to be joining the Missouri Valley Conference back in 1989.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Campbellproud » May 12th, 2024, 4:20 pm

bleach wrote:My advice would be to QUIT watering down the conference! If a Murray State presents itself, Fine. Otherwise, quit diluting the level of play that made me so proud to be joining the Missouri Valley Conference back in 1989.

This is the most reasonable strategy. And probably most likely given there are no good options right now. They’re at 11. They were at 10 forever, so there’s no need to expand.
Campbellproud
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » May 12th, 2024, 6:57 pm

Campbellproud wrote:
bleach wrote:My advice would be to QUIT watering down the conference! If a Murray State presents itself, Fine. Otherwise, quit diluting the level of play that made me so proud to be joining the Missouri Valley Conference back in 1989.

This is the most reasonable strategy. And probably most likely given there are no good options right now. They’re at 11. They were at 10 forever, so there’s no need to expand.

I still think you try and get St. Thomas and if they say no, you stick at 11. St. Thomas to me is a perfect high potential fit that helps out Drake and UNI
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 12th, 2024, 9:21 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:
Campbellproud wrote:

I still think you try and get St. Thomas and if they say no, you stick at 11. St. Thomas to me is a perfect high potential fit that helps out Drake and UNI

St Thomas is no stranger to MVC teams seeing as they are a member of the PFL.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball